The things you find on the internet

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I've largely - okay, completely - lost touch with my bio Dad's family, even though I knew them when I was a child. Today for some reason I decided to google my paternal grandmother and find her obit, since I'm sure she is deceased. In rolling around, I found my aunts....and this:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/lava-lamp-death/

The guy who died by exploding lava lamp is my cousin, Phillip. I didn't know him because he wasn't born when I lost touch, but I knew his oldest brother.

So...yeah. My cousin is a Snopes entry.

glhs837

Power with Control
And this is why I have NOT dug into any of the family tree that heads towards Texas, where a guy by my exact name was executed by the state back in the 80s.

limblips

PREMO Member
I caution people who want to do their family genealogy that they most likely will uncover some dark family secrets. I found that one of my direct ancestors was one of the three teenage girls who started the Salem witch trials. Every family has a closet with a skeleton in it!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
And this is why I have NOT dug into any of the family tree that heads towards Texas, where a guy by my exact name was executed by the state back in the 80s.

You afraid they'll discover you walking around, alive and kicking, and figger they'd botched it the first time? :coffee:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I caution people who want to do their family genealogy that they most likely will uncover some dark family secrets. I found that one of my direct ancestors was one of the three teenage girls who started the Salem witch trials. Every family has a closet with a skeleton in it!

I have not discovered any family members that did anything bad of note, but did learn that one of the foster kids my folks had raised for a while turned out very badly as a young adult. Was eventually found to be the killer of the Lyon sisters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murders_of_Katherine_and_Sheila_Lyon

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Honestly, this lava lamp mishap sounds like my Dad and his brother. "Hey, I wonder what would happen if I....?" So young Phillip came by it honestly.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
The worst I could find doing my family research was my dad, and Henry VIII. Of course, going all the way back to W the Q (and beyond), I have no doubt there were some awful people in my blood line. As for recent family history, most of my dads blood line has been preachers. Dad was a black sheep. Everyone else seemed pretty normal, until you go way back.

This_person

Honestly, this lava lamp mishap sounds like my Dad and his brother. "Hey, I wonder what would happen if I....?" So young Phillip came by it honestly.

Lost a distant cousin (but very good friend) to a potato gun a decade ago or so. Here I thought redneckery wasn't a real thing, then I have a guy close to me die in a very red-neck way.

glhs837

Power with Control

Nothing bad except the one guy who stoles Myles Standish's chick ;) So far anyway. Looks like one third son of a 1780s NOVA plantation owner went west to try his luck.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I had a GGG(?) Uncle that was a pretty renowned photographer. Travel the world 14 times taking photos from First Nations (Native Americans) to European countries, etc.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I've largely - okay, completely - lost touch with my bio Dad's family, even though I knew them when I was a child. Today for some reason I decided to google my paternal grandmother and find her obit, since I'm sure she is deceased. In rolling around, I found my aunts....and this:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/lava-lamp-death/

The guy who died by exploding lava lamp is my cousin, Phillip. I didn't know him because he wasn't born when I lost touch, but I knew his oldest brother.

So...yeah. My cousin is a Snopes entry.

my sister bought Jack Kavorkian's van from his daughter and didn't find out for a couple of years. She found out it was his when the state police tracked it down and asked to come and fingerprint it.

ReadingTheNews

The worst I could find doing my family research was my dad, and Henry VIII. Of course, going all the way back to W the Q (and beyond), I have no doubt there were some awful people in my blood line. As for recent family history, most of my dads blood line has been preachers. Dad was a black sheep. Everyone else seemed pretty normal, until you go way back.

What is "W the Q"?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I have been following this lady (Messy Nessy Chic) on FB for some time and she posts a lot of intriguing articles from all around the globe.

https://www.facebook.com/messynessychic/

Periodically she will also post articles about a number of things she found on the Internet. For example:

• Inside a 1926 Rolls Royce
  • This Rare Midcentury Beauty for Sale (this glamper ought to interest Vrai!)
  • Ancient Thracian city of Seuthopolis
  • A Black Women-Only WWII Unit

https://www.messynessychic.com/2018...XmirwdE2zkm79q4XXLb12u5XiEBUCBbEqB7-XH0hFjrbw

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Here is a FB picture of two of my family drunk in April 1958.

Take a close look, so much about me is explained. :ohwell:

Attachments

• 38600288_10215218727654249_8221095891679838208_n.jpg
    38600288_10215218727654249_8221095891679838208_n.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 76