The U.S. Open at Olympic

It could be interesting. The last time they played the U.S. Open there just two players finished better than +4, Lee Janzen won his second U.S. Open at even par.

Phil, Tiger and Bubba playing together on Thursday and Friday. I'm glad I won't be there trying to follow that group. :lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Olympic is the one course that even on TV you can see just how incredibly brutal and unfair it is when it is set up in US Open trim.

18, when Jansen won, I watched big name after big name 3 putt 18 on Saturday, IIRC, when the pin was center front on that ski slope. Payne Stewart four putted the thing after, somehow, getting his approach to stop something like 3 feet above the flag, again, IIRC.

What was it, 16? 15? Par four heading home where you had to play a hook INTO the rough on the left and hope it trickled out in order to stay in the fairway. Anything else would end up in the right rough. Totally unfair course. Absurd.

I LOVED it!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It could be interesting. The last time they played the U.S. Open there just two players finished better than +4, Lee Janzen won his second U.S. Open at even par.

Phil, Tiger and Bubba playing together on Thursday and Friday. I'm glad I won't be there trying to follow that group. :lol:

If the grass is up, someone better bring a couple extra buckets of balls. Prediction; no one in that group will be around on Sunday afternoon.

I haven't checked. How bad is the rough today? If it's bad, no way. Another Janzen, an accuracy guy, is going to win this thing, me thinks.

:buddies:

I can't really tell yet. It isn't on TV yet, so I'm just watching the featured group (Phil, Tiger, Bubba) on my iPad and they just started a half hour ago. Phil's tee shot was either lost or out of bounds, he had to return to the tee. And the on-course commentator said something like 'Bubba's already hacked his ball out of the rough', so... that doesn't sound too good.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I can't really tell yet. It isn't on TV yet, so I'm just watching the featured group (Phil, Tiger, Bubba) on my iPad and they just started a half hour ago. Phil's tee shot was either lost or out of bounds, he had to return to the tee. And the on-course commentator said something like 'Bubba's already hacked his ball out of the rough', so... that doesn't sound too good.

I'm telling you, Olympic is a NIGHTMARE. IIRC, the members play the greens at something like 8 just to be somewhat manageable.

They play the fairways at a 7. :lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Let the beatings begin.

When discussing Olympic, Watson, the reigning Masters champ, sounded like someone who had traded his green jacket for a straitjacket. He went on about two holes, 13 and 14, "that we don't even know how to play," and spoke grimly of the dangers lurking around every dogleg bend.

Olympic Club will be survival of the fittest at 112th U.S. Open - ESPN Dallas

"I don't want to come out here and shoot 80," Watson said. "As of right now, I don't like [the course]. There's an 80 lurking."

Cool. That's the beauty of an open.

All that just for the privilege of having his guts stomped out for 36 holes.

I'd take it - might shoot 110, but I'd not pass up the chance to test myself.

Let the beatings begin.

Through 4 holes, he hasn't hit a fairway yet. :lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'd take it - might shoot 110, but I'd not pass up the chance to test myself.

I'd have never had the guts, or love of the game, to hang in there to get this far in the first place. First time I ever went to Pinehurst on a golf orgy, 36 a day for two days and then 18 on the last day, I didn't pick up a club for a month afterwards. I'm never sure if these guys impress me, willing to go through qualifying, or scare me for being kooks. That is NOT my idea of fun! :lol:

PsyOps

Pixelated
I'd have never had the guts, or love of the game, to hang in there to get this far in the first place. First time I ever went to Pinehurst on a golf orgy, 36 a day for two days and then 18 on the last day, I didn't pick up a club for a month afterwards. I'm never sure if these guys impress me, willing to go through qualifying, or scare me for being kooks. That is NOT my idea of fun! :lol:

It's a job to them. Like plucking weeds out of pansies or balancing a budget. Something I'm not all that inspired to do; but I'm sure someone out there is doing it with vim and vigor.

This guy got out there at 42. Pretty good if you ask me.

Last edited:
Olympic had a little fun with the field yesterday, and that was with decent weather. Tiger played a smart round and that's why he's one of the few under par after day one.

The players need to be less aggressive (e.g. not user driver) off the tee to keep the ball in the fairway. At the same time, they can't afford to lay back and leave themselves 200 yard shots into the greens - it's hard enough to get the ball close (and keep it close) from 150 yards and in. Tight fairways, rough that isn't terribly forgiving (though it isn't near as bad as it could be), and crazy greens = to steal a word for Casey Martin, a 5 hour "war" for the players. They need some overnight rains. Oh, and maybe some mass sabotage of the greens' rollers.

The 14-year old, Andy Zhang, was quite impressive after his shaky start (+8 through 5 holes). It would be pretty cool to see him rally to make the cut.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Tiger played a smart round and that's why he's one of the few under par after day one.

Not to pick nits but, Tiger didn't play well because he was smart. He played well because he was smart about his round AND made the swings. :evil:

I've seen him in a number of majors play smart off the T, hitting irons but, just not pulling off the swings most notably his first trip to Congressional. I think Ernie won it. I don't think Tiger hit driver at all. Just couldn't execute.

Not to pick nits but, Tiger didn't play well because he was smart. He played well because he was smart about his round AND made the swings. :evil:

I've seen him in a number of majors play smart off the T, hitting irons but, just not pulling off the swings most notably his first trip to Congressional. I think Ernie won it. I don't think Tiger hit driver at all. Just couldn't execute.

Okay, I'll give you that. But I was coming at it from the perspective of expecting Tiger to strike the ball well this week.

Nobody on the course is under par (for both days combined).

It looks like Casey Martin might miss the cut by a stroke or two. He finished today at +9. I'm guessing the cut will be +7 or +8.

vince77

Just got back yesterday from going out there to watch a couple practice rounds on Monday and Tuesday at Olympic....incredibly hard course... tight fairways. hilly, small greens, lightening fast...thinking 5 under will win this