THE voice of Rock and Roll...

THE rock and roll voice??? (pick 3, most votes wins)

• Roger Daltrey

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Robert Plant

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • John Fogerty

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Jim Morrison

Votes: 16 40.0%
  • Bruce

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Jimi

• Lennon/McCartney

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Eric Clapton

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Fred Mercury

• Elvis

Votes: 20 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tomcat

Anytime
It's easy to see the age differences voting. Elvis is hands down for the choices given, followed by Lennon/McCartney, and again for the original question and choices given, John Fogarty. Yes there are many omitted as far as the voice of rock n roll, but I guess Larry is a youngster compared to some of us :cheers:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Except for Eric Clapton, I like all the choices on the list. I think of Clapton as a guitarist first and a singer second. But his vocals on Layla are great.

The voice of heavy metal is unquestionably Rob Halford.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think I'm confused. Are we talking about the voice itself, as in the best actual singing voice in rock, or are we talking someone who best represents the genre, as in "Timothy Leary was the voice of the counterculture"?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Mikeinsmd said:
Although washed up.... how bout Diamond David Lee Roth??

He wasn't a good technical singer, but he had a strong onstage personality. He made Van Halen sound more like a metal band than a rock band, because his lyrics and delivery had a lot of anger and aggression.

fttrsbeerwench said:
"As the snow flies
On a cold and gray Chicago mornin'
A poor little baby child is born
In the ghetto..."

Written by Mac Davis.

I love Elvis' version of "Blue Moon of Kentucky," which is a perfect blend of country and R&B styles. In fact, the first time I heard Bill Monroe's original version, I was surprised that Bill played it with a waltz beat. I favor the younger Elvis, partly because it was sad to see his self-destruction in the '70s, although "Burning Love" is a great song.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
vraiblonde said:
"Timothy Leary was the voice of the counterculture"?

:lol: Personally, I don't like to rank singers or rank bands. Each of the singers in the poll brought something unique to the music. You might be right about Chuck Berry, since his singing style was an influence on many of the performers that followed. Elvis had a style that was impossible to copy without sounding like a wannabe hack. He wasn't an influence so much in style as in attitude--entire generations of singers have copied some of Elvis' macho swagger.

SamSpade

vraiblonde said:
I think I'm confused. Are we talking about the voice itself, as in the best actual singing voice in rock, or are we talking someone who best represents the genre, as in "Timothy Leary was the voice of the counterculture"?
That's my dilemma. On the voice itself, very few could ever match Freddie Mercury.

Next on my list of great voices - and I know a lotta people just hate the guy but he had a great voice - is Steve Perry of Journey.

Lastly, a very good voice, that I've always liked, is Paul Rodgers, of Bad Company, Free, The Firm (with Page) and currently touring with Queen.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
vraiblonde said:
THE rock and roll voice is Chuck Berry. End of story.

MAYBELLINE WHY CAN'T YOU BE TRUE
OH MAYBELLINE
WHY CAN'T YOU BE TRUE
YOU DONE STARTED DOING THE THINGS
YOU USE TO DO

AS I WAS MOTIVATING OVER THE HILL
SAW MAYBELLINE IN A COUP DEVILLE
A CADILLAC ROLLING ON OLD GLEN ROAD
NOTHING OUT RUN MY V-8 FORD
A CADILLAC DOING ABOUT 95
IT WAS BUMPER TO BUMPER SIDE TO SIDE

chorus:

MAYBELLINE
WHY CAN'T YOU BE TRUE
OH MAYBELLINE
WHY CAN'T YOU BE TRUE
YOU DONE STARTED BACK DOING THE THINGS
YOU USE TO DO

A CADILLAC PULLED UP TO 104
BEFORE IT GOT HOT IT WOULD DO NO MORE
IT DONE GOT CLOUDY AND STARTED TO RAIN
I TOOTED MY HORN FOR THE PASSING LANE
A RAIN WATER BLOWING ALL UNDER MY HOOD
I NEW THAT WAS DOING MY MOTOR GOOD

chorus

solo

chorus

THE WATER COOLED DOWN THE HEAT WENT DOWN
BUT UNDER THE HOOD THE HIGHWAY SOUND
CADILLAC SAT LIKE A TOWING LANE
110 A HALF A MILE AHEAD
CADILLAC LOOK LIKE IT WAS STANDING STILL
I CAUGHT MAYBELLINE AT THE TOP OF THE HILL

chorus

solo

:dude:

bono :puleaze:

Otter

Nothing to see here
vraiblonde said:
THE rock and roll voice is Chuck Berry. End of story.

:yeahthat: Rock and roll started in the 50s with black artists...Alot of Elvis's hits were stolen from black rock and rollers. Tho I liked the Beatles, they fell short when it came to writing what I considered rock-n-roll songs. As performers, Bruce, Daltrey, Morrison, Plant were all rockers to a certain extent. Fogerty was more country rock or rockabilly. Queen went to their own tune, with influences all over the place. Hendrix and Clapton were, IMO, more noted as otherworldly great musicians.

All of the people listed were influenced in one way or another by artists out of the 50s when rock-n-roll started.

(***edited***dur...rock-n-roll voice or voice of rock-n-roll?...lol..I think I missed the original point but what the hell)

Last edited: