The Weather Outside is Frightful.....

H

Heretic

Cabbage, I went to school in Morgantown too, have lived here for 3 years and your right it almost never snows here. This week will probably be one of the colder ones this winter too.

Searide what I see all the time is someone in a truck or SUV going way to fast then they go to stop and guess what 4wd dont make you stop any faster.....and they ### end someone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cabbage

Great!

When did you graduate ? Where do Mountaineers hang out to watch games? Have you been following WVU sports lately?

SeaRide

Originally posted by Cabbage
Our new home is located in Saint Leonard. Anyone know how many inches of snow they received this week? I heard there will be 2 more waves of snowy weather passing through within the next 2 weeks?
I can ask my brother or my friends who lives in Saint Leonard. This morning on the way to work, I drove thru Saint Leonard and it looks like 4 to 6 inches of wet thick heavy snow. I mean you can make snowball real easy. It feels heavy when you scoop the snow with your hand. The snow down here seem not so fluffy but mixed with sleet and rain. I would call it fresh "slush-like" :biggrin:

Otter

Nothing to see here
Originally posted by SeaRide Down here in SOMD .. umm .. what can I say. [/B]

Hmmmmm...SOMD is not one of the 'all winter long, all snow, all the time' states, therefore we don't have the budget for the equipment that those states have.

SeaRide

Originally posted by Heretic
Searide what I see all the time is someone in a truck or SUV going way to fast then they go to stop and guess what 4wd dont make you stop any faster.....and they ### end someone.
Okay I 'll take your word for it. As I thought more .. I realized back in 80's, the SUV wasn't really popular and now just about everyone has either a minivan or SUV, you know what I mean? so you could be right about more trucks and SUVs are out there. Last March I had to rent a SUV for a group of 7 friends at Lake Tahoe, after few days they all prefer me to drive the rental SUV. I guess I have more experiences with driving in the snow than some. I am not a speed freak or anything like that. I am the one who would put at least five/ten car length of space in front of me when I am driving. Call me old fart but hey I am only 30 something years old! :biggrin:

H

Heretic

To my knowledge I dont thing there is a hangout to watch sports. I have been watching the football team all year long, they really turned it arround this year.

I got my BS in 97 and my MS in 00.

I don't really have anything against SUV's, I drive one. It just seems everyone withing an hour of DC doesnt seem to understand that you cant tailgate and you need to slow down when its rainy or snowy. Just a pet peeve of mine

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Putting some distance between us.....

Originally posted by SeaRide
I am the one who would put at least five/ten car length of space in front of me when I am driving. Call me old fart but hey I am only 30 something years old! :biggrin:

:cheers: My take is that the SUV has sort of taken over from the family station wagon, and some folks probably don't like the"boxey" look of a van. I also tend to think that people(but not all) who buy these Suvs like them because they "sit high", usually have larger tires on them, etc., and they feel safer in them. That might transfer psychologically into a feeling of invincibility. And I think that is what some of you are alluding to in your comments. The SUV gives folks a feeling of security, and superiority. So, in many cases, you'll find them taking more chances. And then you have trouble.
Searide: I wish more people would ascribe to what you said above. That annoys the heck out of me, even more so on RTE 4 or RTE 5 going 60-65 mph. At night when I'm going to a meeting and some guy is on my tail, I get very concerned 'specially this time of year when DEER are out, you'll see them feeding along the side of the road. Get the picture? How are you gonna stop with some nerd on your back bumper, if one of them decides to bolt out in front of you?

penn

Last edited:

SeaRide

Re: Putting some distance between us.....

Originally posted by penncam
Searide: I wish more people would ascribe to what you said above. That annoys the heck out of me, even more so on RTE 4 or RTE 5 going 60-65 mph. At night when I'm going to a meeting and some guy is on my tail, I get very concerned 'specially this time of year when DEER are out, you'll see them feeding along the side of the road. Get the picture? How are you gonna stop with some nerd on your back bumper, if one of them decides to bolt out in front of you?
penn
(chuckles) .. Penn, I understand what you are saying. I do loathe those who tailgate my truck while I see deer out there. Sometimes I do have a choice but most of the time I don't have a choice but maintain my speed and keep an eye out for the deer. One time I was driving on the backroad during the twilight hour in the early evening. There was a rice burner behind 'nibbling' on my truck and I saw an opposum up ahead right in the middle of the lane. It was perfect for my truck but not for the punk's lowrider behind me. I manage to drive clear over the little opposum without run over it. I better let you run your imagination on what happened to that poor opposum. I wish I could see that punk's face expression in my rearview mirror.. oh well.
Penn, sometimes I would blow my horn, wiggle my truck a bit and tap my brake. Sometimes I just steer away from those maniacs. I wouldn't flip the bird because the last time I did that long time ago when I was young, the guy chased me down I-295, then he pulled a gun and fired at my car. So I learned my lesson very fast.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by Heretic
To my knowledge I dont thing there is a hangout to watch sports.

:cheers: Down here in the Lexington Park area, there's a new place called Damon's on RTE 235, near the main gate to the NAS. They have either 3 or 4 HUGE projector screens that they show sports games, ie., ESPN, NCAA College football games, etc., on all the time.
Whether they'll show WVU games, I can't say, but if a few folks show up for drinks and food when the team is playing, they just might be persuaded to accomodate you, eh? It might be worth a try.

penn

Last edited:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by SeaRide
lot in common? such as? :confused:

Not to insult SmallTown, but I've noticed sometimes JetMonkey's humor is a little warped. Something in his childhood, no doubt.

penn

JabbaJawz

Be about it
I agree, I could have probably made it, but I drive an hour and 20 minutes on the way there, and can usually add another 20 minutes to that on the way back. So, the long drive just wasn't worth chancing it to me, especially with a 3 year old in the car.

Originally posted by John Z
Nope, I stayed home. Mighta made it in fine, but I drive 42 miles to Pax, so I said that I deserve another day off. 3 days of work this week were too grueling. :cheers: