There are some things....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
...that we should ALL - every single one of us - be able to agree on. If you do not agree, you are not of this earth and should be shot back into space in the general direction of your home planet.

Anyone who reads - who can read - should agree that The Godfather is a masterpiece. The movie, meh, I can see where someone would think it was tripe. Kay is a silly character; so is Connie; Luca Brazzi is a buffoon; the dialog is stilted; and the plot is disjointed and hard to follow. It won a bunch of Oscars but...eh, Shakespeare in Love beat out Saving Private Ryan for Best Picture, and Denzel Washington won his Oscar for that POS movie Training Day, so I don't really consider whoever votes on these things to be terribly sophisticated or unbiased.

However, the book is a timeless classic, with only a nodding similarity to the movie bastardization. The characters are well developed and the mafia guys are suitably menacing yet sympathetic. The plot is engrossing in a way Coppola wasn't talented enough to get across on film. Don Corleone is a complex man, and even the minor characters are fleshed out to create a tapestry of brilliance.

And yet....out of 612 Amazon reviews, 15 people gave it less than 3 stars. That is a tiny fraction, and I understand that, but there should be no one - no one - giving it poor reviews. Perhaps those 15 are illiterate and flat cannot handle anything more complicated than Janet Evanovich, I don't know.

But this, more than anything I've seen or heard of, assures me that We the People do not have a single common universal value and never will. If we cannot agree in unison that The Godfather is literary masterpiece, we will never EVER agree on any social or political issue.

I think those 15 people should be exiled and have to go form their own country.

Vince

Loved the Godfather, book and movie. When they came out with Godfather II I wasn't thrilled.

Caution

...that we should ALL - every single one of us - be able to agree on. If you do not agree, you are not of this earth and should be shot back into space in the general direction of your home planet.

Anyone who reads - who can read - should agree that The Godfather is a masterpiece. The movie, meh, I can see where someone would think it was tripe. Kay is a silly character; so is Connie; Luca Brazzi is a buffoon; the dialog is stilted; and the plot is disjointed and hard to follow. It won a bunch of Oscars but...eh, Shakespeare in Love beat out Saving Private Ryan for Best Picture, and Denzel Washington won his Oscar for that POS movie Training Day, so I don't really consider whoever votes on these things to be terribly sophisticated or unbiased.

However, the book is a timeless classic, with only a nodding similarity to the movie bastardization. The characters are well developed and the mafia guys are suitably menacing yet sympathetic. The plot is engrossing in a way Coppola wasn't talented enough to get across on film. Don Corleone is a complex man, and even the minor characters are fleshed out to create a tapestry of brilliance.

And yet....out of 612 Amazon reviews, 15 people gave it less than 3 stars. That is a tiny fraction, and I understand that, but there should be no one - no one - giving it poor reviews. Perhaps those 15 are illiterate and flat cannot handle anything more complicated than Janet Evanovich, I don't know.

But this, more than anything I've seen or heard of, assures me that We the People do not have a single common universal value and never will. If we cannot agree in unison that The Godfather is literary masterpiece, we will never EVER agree on any social or political issue.

Of all the people that come to this forum, Like me, full of crap and spouting our opinions like it's the duty of the world to have to listen. "You", of all people here, pay attention to what other people say on the internet?

Sorry. I just had to point that out :killingme

Hank

my war
Loved the Godfather, book and movie. When they came out with Godfather II I wasn't thrilled.

Vincent, help me to my bed. I want to talk to you alone. My brother, your father, he and I. Opposites. But I never doubted his love. He would do anything for me. But his temper. Clouded his judgement. I don't want to see the same thing happen to you.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Vincent, help me to my bed. I want to talk to you alone. My brother, your father, he and I. Opposites. But I never doubted his love. He would do anything for me. But his temper. Clouded his judgement. I don't want to see the same thing happen to you.

Stop it. I'm talking about the real Godfather book, not that abomination of a sequel.

Hank

my war
Stop it. I'm talking about the real Godfather book, not that abomination of a sequel.

There are negotiations being made that are going to answer all of your questions and solve all of your problems. That's all I can tell you right now.

PJay

Will put reading the book on my to do list. It wasn't until recently I watched the movie for the first time. Since being part Italian myself...I loved Appolonia! "Monday, Tuesday, Thurday, Friday, Sunday, Saturday" ...Then...:dead:

I was shocked and saddened to have to put up with Kay the rest of the way...yuck

PJay

When Clemens teases Michael..."Mikey, why don't you tell that nice girl you love her? ' I love you with all my heart, if I don't see-a you again soon, I'm a - gonna die!" Then he throws in a cooking lesson for spaghetti sauce.

After that scene I wanted spaghetti. :ohwell:

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
Kay in the book is nothing like movie Kay.

This is exactly why I get so upset when I read a really good book that is later turned into a movie. I always find myself yelling at the TV that they are not following how the book was written.

Our imaginations are so much better at creating a visual story from the words that we read.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This is exactly why I get so upset when I read a really good book that is later turned into a movie. I always find myself yelling at the TV that they are not following how the book was written.

Our imaginations are so much better at creating a visual story from the words that we read.

I saw the movie long before I read the book, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
I saw the movie long before I read the book, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Well I give you credit for that. I cannot recall ever reading a book if I had seen the movie first. I am sure I have missed out on so much.

I got my mom a Kindle HD for Christmas as all she wants to do is read books on it. She is so missing out on what she can really do with that little machine.

MMDad

Lem Putt

In 2010 JPC got 46,411 votes for Governor. Compared to that 15 mouth breathers is nothing more than an anomaly.