Thieves trim tail hair from 3 horses in Montana

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
"BOZEMAN, Mont. (AP) - At least two southwest Montana horse owners are reporting thieves trotted off with tail hair from their horses. Such hair can be valuable to makers of handcrafted horse bridles or other items. Sandy O'Rourke reported someone entered a Three Forks corral on Oct. 17 and cut off the tail hair of two horses and part of the mane of a third horse. The hair was cut off below the bony section of the tail. The horses were not injured."

Thieves trim tail hair from 3 horses in Montana - wtop.com

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I went to order white hair the other day and white is almost $350 per pound...black is still it $50 why on earth would you cut hair from a LIVE horse...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
I can only imagine how funny the horses must look without any hair on thier tails haha .

bcp

In My Opinion
Is it just me or does anyone else thing that this is totally F-ed up?

who the hell would steal horse hair? there has to be synthetic substitutes for whatever its used for.

does it really take years to grow back?

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Is it just me or does anyone else thing that this is totally F-ed up?

who the hell would steal horse hair? there has to be synthetic substitutes for whatever its used for.

does it really take years to grow back?

yep years or never...yep really really f-ed up but it happens alot...people call me for tails they say someone comes in and cuts a tail off..not sure why they do it..cant be for extensions or selling the hair..really would take alot to make one extension or to make a tail...I sell 100% horse hair extensions so I hear alot of stories..Goats keep me in business too...not selling alot now I guess because of the economy...

I would NEVER cut a live horses tail..I have had 2 horses in here that we worked on for hours to save a tail..one mare we got last summer we spent 5 hours 1/2 gallon of show sheen and a 12 pack of beer to comb it out but it was so worth it..we could not phathom this mare having her tail cut off

The other was 2 weeks ago we got her in Pa and the stickers had taken her tail over might have pics...will look took 32 oz of baby oil and shazam...out...but I never even thought of cutting it..

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Here

Attachments

• 1016101120.jpg
    1016101120.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 134
  • 1016101142.jpg
    1016101142.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 155

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
WOW thank goodness you were able to save the tail. :yay:

I saw a horse at an auction once that was covered in those sticker balls, mane and tail - and the feet on that horse smelled so bad you could smell them from outside the stall! I felt horrible for that horse to have been neglected like that (esp. the feet). That horse was obviously gonna end up with the meat buyer.

With all the horses that go to slaughter, I'd think there would be an abundance of horse mane & tail hair on the market?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I suspect you don't know much about horse shows ..... manes and tails are highly prized as part of the over-all appearance of the horse. People buy horse tail sections (like a weave) to improve the appearance of their horse's tail.

Its only hair. It will just grow back.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Its only hair. It will just grow back.

Oddly enough that's not necessarily true.

And, it's not just cosmetic. The horse's tail is used for fending off flies which sound like a minor annoyance but can cause a lot more trouble including bleeding, infections, lameness, hoof issues and more.