This is just outrageous

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2006/Bills/A1500/1327_I1.HTM

This bill would require an operator of any interactive computer service or an Internet service provider to establish, maintain and enforce a policy requiring an information content provider who posts messages on a public forum website either to be identified by legal name and address or to register a legal name and address with the operator or provider prior to posting messages on a public forum website.

The bill requires an operator of an interactive computer service or an Internet service provider to establish and maintain reasonable procedures to enable any person to request and obtain disclosure of the legal name and address of an information content provider who posts false or defamatory information about the person on a public forum website.

In addition, the bill makes any operator or Internet service provider liable for compensatory and punitive damages as well as costs of a law suit filed by a person damaged by the posting of such messages if the operator or Internet service provider fails to establish, maintain and enforce the policy required by section 2 of the bill.
Get the frig outta here!!! :eyebrow:

How in the hell would NJ forum/chat operators get a legal name and address from posters??? Even if you had them, say, fax their driver's license upon registration, there's no guarantee that it's really theirs. And to make the forum operators liable for damages!!!!!

I had no idea that Darby O'Hara had this kind of political pull. :lol: :mad:

Hawk

It Wasn't Me
They wouldnt even need your info to get your address they could get that from just your IP, and if they had that, and the ISP company was made to give up the info they would know who was connected from that IP and could give out your info no problem.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Hawk said:
They wouldnt even need your info to get your address they could get that from just your IP, and if they had that, and the ISP company was made to give up the info they would know who was connected from that IP and could give out your info no problem.

What they're trying to do here is make the operator/owner the watch dog.

SamSpade

What's gonna qualify as "defamation"? Calling someone a poo-poo head? This is ridiculous. Did this twit just wake up and notice, there's an Internet out there?

The funny thing is, *Usenet* has been out there even longer than the Web - and it's unregulated, mostly, although postings CAN be traced to an account. It's only been fairly recently that web forums have become popular.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Wow. Sounds like they've had enough drama up their way. If that information was available on our board it would be pretty quiet around here.

snuzzy

People need to get over themselves, "Sticks and stones may break my bones...!". If you don't like what's said, don't sign on. This is not a government issue. :smack:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Government run amok. It is happening at all levels, because citizens put up with it. If you don't email, write, or call your representatives and express your opinion, you are part of the problem.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
SamSpade said:
What's gonna qualify as "defamation"? Calling someone a poo-poo head? This is ridiculous. Did this twit just wake up and notice, there's an Internet out there?

The funny thing is, *Usenet* has been out there even longer than the Web - and it's unregulated, mostly, although postings CAN be traced to an account. It's only been fairly recently that web forums have become popular.
Recent meaning the last 12 - 15 years??

and before that, we had BBS', so recent would be going back to the 70's??

SamSpade

itsbob said:
Recent meaning the last 12 - 15 years??

and before that, we had BBS', so recent would be going back to the 70's??
Recent meaning, any one with a blog probably has one. Recent meaning, although they've BEEN around, they've only achieved popularity within the last few years.

(Just because a technology EXISTS, doesn't mean it achieves instant popularity. Fax machines have been around for a century, but they really didn't become popular among every day folks until at least the 80's).

Yes, I know they've been around for a very long time - but, for example, as recently as 8 years ago, they were almost all written in something like Perl, and you kind of had to know a little about programming to make adjustments. NOW, there are free packages out there that make it damned simple to use.
Web forums are integrated into feedbacks for columns, user groups and so on.

I'm just saying, prior to about 7 years ago, if you wanted to post and ask questions online, you were using Usenet. Usenet usage over the last few years has begun to decline - almost certainly due to the prevalence of web forums.

ANYWAY - my point was, people posting more or less anonymously has been going on for a very long time - and it hasn't required any sort of anti-defamation laws to curtail it. Admittedly, if you own a website or blog, *someone* knows who you are. With Google Groups providing access to Usenet, you can still post anonymously to newsgroups. No one seems to give a crap about that.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
This is an attempt to prevent citizens from taking anonymous pot shots at the politicians. Political correctness at its peak. This is like the Sedition Act.

ylexot

Super Genius
I think we should all start using our legal names. I'll go first...

Hi, I'm Haywood Jablome :howdy:

Weezy

Exxcelllllenttt
vraiblonde said:
http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2006/Bills/A1500/1327_I1.HTM

Get the frig outta here!!! :eyebrow:

How in the hell would NJ forum/chat operators get a legal name and address from posters??? Even if you had them, say, fax their driver's license upon registration, there's no guarantee that it's really theirs. And to make the forum operators liable for damages!!!!!

I had no idea that Darby O'Hara had this kind of political pull. :lol: :mad:
You know its getting ridicoulous (dont know if thats spelled right), if your feelings are being hurt on a public forum or chat room, then DONT GET ON, duhhhh! That is where all of this is stemming from, you got people that get on forums start arguing with people and then the name calling starts and then the crying starts. Theres sooooooo many forums on the internet, people don't have to get on ones where they feel like they are mistreated.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Weezy said:
You know its getting ridicoulous (dont know if thats spelled right), if your feelings are being hurt on a public forum or chat room, then DONT GET ON, duhhhh! That is where all of this is stemming from, you got people that get on forums start arguing with people and then the name calling starts and then the crying starts. Theres sooooooo many forums on the internet, people don't have to get on ones where they feel like they are mistreated.
Actually, I think it is politicians not wanting to have to defend themselves. Whistle blowers can post something that needs investigating and the politician has no way of exerting influence to shut them down because of total anonymity. Can't threaten someone when you don't know who they are.