Thoughts on businesses that don't allow children

SamSpade

My kids were well behaved in most places and were complimented for it often.
This has to be one of the great mysteries of life. MOST of the time, my kids behave supremely well. One of them is even a bit of a neat freak and will - slightly grudgingly - take it upon herself to clean the house if she thinks she needs it.

But it fits the expression I've heard all my life as a parent - "kids save their worst behavior - for home".

Reactions: rio

rio

But it fits the expression I've heard all my life as a parent - "kids save their worst behavior - for home".
That is so true! I say my kids were complemented in public. If those same people saw how my kids acted at home they would probably faint!

There was one time they were supposed to get dishes done. I didn't care how they worked it out, do it together, take turns, whatever....THEIR responsibility. I listened to them argue and fight for a good 10 minutes before I finally said "Enough, I'll do the dishes, you two are fired!". They thought they were off the hook and went to plop down on the sofa and watch TV. That's when I informed them that, "oh no, that's the employee lounge and you've been fired, remember?", they lost all employee benefits till they figured out a resolution. I had very little argument about chores for awhile after that!

ontheriver

Only one time did my daughter show her butt in public. It was her brother's birthday and she was a bit jealous. She tossed her piece of pizza onto the birthday cake (Pizza Hut). Today I would go to jail.... I put her in the car and made her watch the party through the window. Lesson learned.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Our kids were 9 years apart and very close to one another. They always behaved when we went out to eat, which was pretty frequent.

One time we were eating at a "family style" place and the little bastard at the next table was being an absolute brat. My son looked at me with wide eyes as if to say, "Can you believe that kid?", I just smiled and let him get whatever dessert he wanted. We were blessed with good kids.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Well I frankly admit my kids were terrible when I'd take them out in public. They bickered and fought constantly, embarrassed the hell out of me. They weren't allowed to run around the restaurant or make a big mess, but they'd get bored and resort to their favorite form of amusement: tormenting each other.

I'd have never dreamed of taking them out to eat at somewhere other than McDonalds. They could go one at a time and be fine, but together was a big fat nope. Not a restaurant, not the grocery store, not Kmart. Certainly not a nail or hair salon.

Taking a child somewhere that will not interest them is just asking for it. Maybe other people's kids could sit quietly and behave, but not my heathens.
I vend at and work part time at a place filled with antiques, glassware and breakables. Despite the parents SOMETIMES telling them to not touch anything, kids will be kids and want to touch EVERYTHING. And how do most children react when told NOT to do something? Makes them want to do it more! And most children are not interested in being there and are bored.
There are exceptions and some of the kids that come in are delightful and respectful. Most of them have parents that pay attention and don't let their young ones run around and act like little fools :lol:

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I would have never ever taken my kids into a place like that. Or anywhere else that expensive things will be destroyed when Wrestlemania breaks out.
my mother's memory seems to be wiped clean of all raising boys trauma as she always wants to take my son everywhere when we/they visit. He's four, and while he's a decent, smart kid, he's very much a typical button-pushing appropriately (mis)behaving four year old with a ton of energy to burn. Taking him anywhere stresses me TF out so I am very strategic about where and when we show up in public. As soon as he walked (8 months :faint: ) and was too independent/squirmy to strap to my back, we stopped going to a lot of those iffy places. I'd be mortified if my kid did something shitty in public and I could've prevented it. Accidents happen, but you increase the risk taking kids where they shouldn't be going.

We hardly ever sit down at a restaurant but when we do, unless it has a playground or he's fine with some coloring books (I always try to keep an activity bag ready in the car), I also bring the tablet with headphones as backup. Some people like to frown on that as if they think he never can eat a meal or do anything without it, but reality is that tablet is strictly for long car rides and restaurants. I am also all for child-free spaces.

If that's what the owners want, they're within their right to enforce it. Good for them :sshrug: I'll visit them when I have a sitter, and likely enjoy it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We hardly ever sit down at a restaurant but when we do, unless it has a playground or he's fine with some coloring books (I always try to keep an activity bag ready in the car), I also bring the tablet with headphones as backup. Some people like to frown on that as if they think he never can eat a meal or do anything without it, but reality is that tablet is strictly for long car rides and restaurants.

I'm not that Karen who'd be all 😠 at some parent keeping their kid entertained with whatever while they're trying to have a meal and not annoy everyone around them. The ones I give the stink eye to are those whose little kid is clearly bored, yet expected to sit quietly and think happy thoughts while the adults take forever to eat.