Three Strikes!!

seekeroftruth

Titus 3:1 Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, 2 to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and always to be gentle toward everyone.
3 At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. 4 But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, 5 he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, 6 whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. 8 This is a trustworthy saying. And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and profitable for everyone.
9 But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless. 10 Warn a divisive person once, and then warn them a second time. After that, have nothing to do with them. 11 You may be sure that such people are warped and sinful; they are self-condemned.
12 As soon as I send Artemas or Tychicus to you, do your best to come to me at Nicopolis, because I have decided to winter there. 13 Do everything you can to help Zenas the lawyer and Apollos on their way and see that they have everything they need. 14 Our people must learn to devote themselves to doing what is good, in order to provide for urgent needs and not live unproductive lives.
15 Everyone with me sends you greetings. Greet those who love us in the faith.
Ok, let's see what the commentary has to say.

Reject a divisive man: Titus must take measures against those who insist on going their own way. Their self-will makes them self-condemned.​
“Labour to convince him of his error; but if he will not receive instruction, if he has shut his heart against conviction, then — burn him alive? No, even if demonstrably a heretic in any one sense of that word, and a disturber of the peace of the church, God gives no man any other authority over him but to shun him. Do him no harm in body, soul, character, or substance; hold no communion with him; but leave him to God.” (Clarke)​
Is a drunk or a drug addict running your church? One of the best churches I attended had a recovering alcoholic as the preacher. He came to God on the deck of an aircraft carrier and hasn't touched a drop since. He had the Bible to guide him. He's the one who told me it was ok to divorce my first husband. He's the one who told me I could leave. He really loved God. He really understood the Power of God.

In this letter Paul tells us there are some people we just cannot help. Some people will not listen. Some will tell you they are better informed and they will be best suited to run the church. They will make the Bible talk the language they choose. They will make sure all the I's are dotted and the T's are crossed. They will make sure all the thingies are perfectly snipped and the dietary restrictions save our guts. They will make sure that God is the center of our worship.... In Spite of what Jesus said. They knew God was in control and they would clobber anyone who claimed otherwise with memorized verses plucked out of context to keep them contributing to the offering box.

Paul says warn them twice and then cut them off.

Paul just brought about Three Strikes!

Three Strikes!!!!

:coffee: