Tiki Bar For Sale

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I'm 24, and while I appreciate the quaintness of it, I would appreciate even more not having to drive an hour and a half to find something to do around here.

I came here for the work only 4 months ago, and it certainly wasn't my first choice. Unfortunately, I didn't get a choice because I had already been out of work for 10 months and this was the only place that's hiring.

Let's face it. To my knowledge, Solomon's basically has 2 quasi-good nightspot options at this point in the year: Harbor Sound's and Catamaran's, neither of which I find to be all that great. Lexington Park is severely lacking in places to find the 20something crowd and Lusby is nonexistent. Hell, The Green Door, which is 40+ minutes from where I live, seems (again to my knowledge as I haven't been here that long) to be the only good nightspot in St. Mary's.

I'm not trying to sound like a complainer, but... I'm 24/single/male and I'm bored! I'm trying my best to find other things to do but until I am able to afford a boat, which is probably several years from now, I can't seem to find much. As soon as the economy improves, and I finish my Master's degree, I'm on the first ticket out of here.

I hope no one takes offense to that, and I'm sure some of you might say 'don't let the door hit you', but I'm really not happy here.

Last edited:

SeaRide

Tonio,
I go to my "beachhouse" just about 12 to 30 times a year since the house was bought back in '92. I don't mind those little quaint motels run by family or by friendly folks. I am not too crazy about those chain hotels. Chain hotels would draw alot of people from far away places since chain hotels got websites to broadcast Chincoteague as one of the places. *Yikes!* I like those B&Bs and the likes because most of the B&Bs buildings are victorian style homes. Chain hotels are too commercialized for my taste. There is a protest going on about a proposal for new resort at Assateague Island on the Toms Cove. I don't mean on the C-Island side. I mean using Toms Cove itself to build a humogous resort to cater people on jetski, boating, cruising etc. From what I understand, they are talking about lots of STILTS on the shallow water ..er .. in Toms Cove. :barf: Talking about destroying the bird sanctuary .. destroy the wildlife out there around Toms Cove and Assateague Island National park.
Sorry for the long post.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Well, I can understand your point, but I was done with the nightclub thing before I moved here. I now would rather go somewhere that is more laid back where I can hold a conversation rather than have to yell or deal with some young chickie with an "I'm SO hot" attitude or the boring pick up lines.

Have you tried Waldorf? (Not that I would know) :biggrin:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Complainers...

Originally posted by sleuth14
I'm sure some of you might say 'don't let the door hit you', but I'm really not happy here.
I'll be the first..."Don't let the door hit ya where the Lord split ya. :lol:
I didn't get a choice because I had already been out of work for 10 months and this was the only place that's hiring.
You had a choice, you may just not like it. :duh:

watercolor

yeah yeah
Originally posted by cattitude
Solomons is a jewel...just the way it is.
but I appreciate the quaintness of the Island. :biggrin:

I to also like it for that same reason Catt. Alot of places around the area are being bombarded with boom, and the little areas are great. Just like we were discussing North Beach. :smile:

I do hope that they dont do some hotel BS....that would just ruin it. I think that the Holiday Inn and the Comfort Inn that are there, are all that is needed.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
sleuth14

sleuth14,
Try Waldorf or Annapolis. Annapolis has lots of "hot spots" for singles. Did that before becoming Sharon's other half.

As for Solomon's, leave it the way it is. Actually, I remember it before the bridge opened up southern Calvert from St. Mary's. Solomon's was a sleepy little fishing village with mostly commercial watermen at the docks. It was quaint, boring, and beautiful.

SeaRide

20something/singles

Slueth,

I understand what you're saying. Nightclubs that stay open til 5:00am doesn't exist down here .. not yet. I guess I have outgrown the bar scene thing. I don't think living in southern MD is ideal for 20something /singles since there's not much anything down here UNLESS you know how to host a bonfire party-or-barn party-or-powerline party - or- multi-cars party -or- gravel pit party -or- pig/bull roast party -or- pool party -or- beach party. If you grew up in the country like I did.. you would know how to party in the country. :biggrin: I don't know if you are into outdoor activities like kayaking, boating, cycling, fishing, crabbing, or hiking.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I'm 24, and while I appreciate the quaintness of it, I would appreciate even more not having to drive an hour and a half to find something to do around here.

I came here for the work only 4 months ago, and it certainly wasn't my first choice. Unfortunately, I didn't get a choice because I had already been out of work for 10 months and this was the only place that's hiring.

Let's face it. To my knowledge, Solomon's basically has 2 quasi-good nightspot options at this point in the year: Harbor Sound's and Catamaran's, neither of which I find to be all that great. Lexington Park is severely lacking in places to find the 20something crowd and Lusby is nonexistent. Hell, The Green Door, which is 40+ minutes from where I live, seems (again to my knowledge as I haven't been here that long) to be the only good nightspot in St. Mary's.

I'm not trying to sound like a complainer, but... I'm 24/single/male and I'm bored! I'm trying my best to find other things to do but until I am able to afford a boat, which is probably several years from now, I can't seem to find much. As soon as the economy improves, and I finish my Master's degree, I'm on the first ticket out of here.

I hope no one takes offense to that, and I'm sure some of you might say 'don't let the door hit you', but I'm really not happy here.

No problem. Maybe it's because I'm 36, but the Solomons clubs seem like meat markets. And some of the St. Mary's bars are scary.

Sleuth, maybe you would have been happier here in the 1950s and 1960s, when Pax had many more enlisted men. There were plenty of strip clubs in Lexington Park catering to the sailors. Roses II is a relic of those days--the place that time forgot. In fact, longtime residents of St. Mary's say the county had bars practially every 100 feet back then.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I'm not asking for the world, only a few decent clubs... where your feet don't stick to the floor when you walk in... that have nice atmosphere and good music and lots of dancing and a building that doesn't look like it's about to fall apart.

More choice in restaurants. In four months I think I've eaten at every decent restaurant in Calvert & St. Mary's... twice.

I don't spend a lot of time in nightclubs myself, because I like a nice place where you can go and hang out and converse too. Problem is there's not many places like that that are not family-oriented. And there are those times when I really want to go out and have a kick-### good time but I don't want to have to drive an hour or more to get there.

I'd try Waldorf and Annapolis. In fact, I plan to, but to further prove my point, each of those places are an hour or more from where I live, in CRE, Lusby.

Ok, I'm done ranting. Don't want to piss too many people off.

blueeyes76

Lexington Park is severely lacking in places to find the 20something crowd and Lusby is nonexistent.

The Valley Lee Tavern, The Brass Rail, The Green Door, Monk's, Damon's, Northridge, ABC (yes 20 somethings do hang out there). There are plenty of places to go. I don't know about Lusby. I'm over that whole bar scene thing though so I could care less.

SeaRide

suggestions to Slueth

If you are into grinding with ladies at a hot dance spot, go to 1)Rumblefish in Glen Burnie-MD, 2) Cantina Cactus in Hanover-MD, 3) The Hurricane at BWI Holiday Inn, 4) Broo's in Sterling-VA, 5) Lulu's Wash DC, .. darn my mind went blank .. there's many more. one pop in my mind just now .. Fat Daddy in West VA ..brb I need some java. :biggrin:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Re: 20something/singles

Originally posted by SeaRide
Slueth,

If you grew up in the country like I did.. you would know how to party in the country.

Truly my last post on the subject of lack of nightlife. Promise

I grew up on a farm, about 40 minutes outside of a town of 60,000. I learned how to party early on in the country. I would be doing more of those things if I lived in a place that was accessible. I live in CRE way back by the cliffs. There is no where for more than about 4 cars to park without pissing off the neighbors. Plus, it's getting late in the year now and cooking out is less of an option.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
More choice in restaurants. In four months I think I've eaten at every decent restaurant in Calvert & St. Mary's... twice.
What restaurants have you tried? There are a lot that do not advertise.

SeaRide

I'm not asking for the world, only a few decent clubs... where your feet don't stick to the floor when you walk in... that have nice atmosphere and good music and lots of dancing and a building that doesn't look like it's about to fall apart.

I don't spend a lot of time in nightclubs myself, because I like a nice place where you can go and hang out and converse too. Problem is there's not many places like that that are not family-oriented. And there are those times when I really want to go out and have a kick-### good time but I don't want to have to drive an hour or more to get there.

I'd try Waldorf and Annapolis. In fact, I plan to, but to further prove my point, each of those places are an hour or more from where I live, in CRE, Lusby.

Ok, I'm done ranting. Don't want to piss too many people off.

Scratch what I just said before .. you are talking about nightclubs in the area where there's lot of singles living nearby. Come on, do you see lot of TALL apartment buildings down here?
Do you see lot of townhouses full of single roomies down here? I know there is probably some townhouses with single roomies but what I mean is by thousands of them down here like those in northern VA and northern MD.
All I can say is that you are living in the wrong place at the wrong time for you to kick### down here.

SeaRide

Re: Re: 20something/singles

I grew up on a farm, about 40 minutes outside of a town of 60,000. I learned how to party early on in the country. I would be doing more of those things if I lived in a place that was accessible. I live in CRE way back by the cliffs. There is no where for more than about 4 cars to park without pissing off the neighbors. Plus, it's getting late in the year now and cooking out is less of an option.
Now that really sucks! What do you think of Block party? My neighbors on the street host a block party at the cul-de-sac. Four Gas grills, makeshift tables with homemade dishes and lots of lawn chairs. Adults were drinking sodas, beer, and wine. Kids get to play together until bedtime! It was fun as I dont mind conversing with 40-50something folks. In the wintertime, we have fire in the barrel to keep us warm (hot cocoa!) But again I dont know if there's enough 20something folks on your street.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Re: Re: 20something/singles

Sleuth, your candor is refreshing. I know someone who absolutely hates living in Southern Maryland, but never does anything about it. Instead, he takes a passive/aggressive attitude, making tasteless SMIB/Deliverance jokes at every opportunity. He truly sees himself as too good for rural life. I've told him that he would be happier living some place like D.C. or Annapolis, but he won't listen. People like that need to sh*t or get off the pot.