Time to change how we spell wurdz?

BuddyLee

Football addict
I have a feeling Jazz is going to hire the best lobbyist's against this.:lmao:

WASHINGTON - When “say,” “they” and “weigh” rhyme, but “bomb,” “comb” and “tomb” don’t, wuudn’t it maek mor sens to spel wurdz the wae thae sound?

Those in favor of simplified spelling say children would learn faster and illiteracy rates would drop. Opponents say a new system would make spelling even more confusing.

Eether wae, the consept has yet to capcher th publix imajinaeshun.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/13716134/?GT1=8307

Toxick

Splat
BuddyLee said:
I have a feeling Jazz is going to hire the best lobbyists against this.:lmao:

Acshually - the way I understand it, there were no formal spellings for ANY words, for most of the history of language.

Then along came this Anal-Rententive Noah Webster fellow, who had to document and formalize everything, and make life such a pain in the buttox for everyone else.

I can't be sure that's an accurate representation of history - but I seem to recall learning that in a dockumentaree one time.

m33nt1m3 - 1'll 571Ck 2 l337-5P34K!!!!!
Y34H!!

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
:ohwell:

How would they compensate for the fact that not everyone speaks the same? For example..."ask" vs. "axe" for the inner city folk, and "head" vs. "hayud" for the southern folk? Just because people in general are getting dumber doesn't mean everyone else should have to change. :lol:

Toxick

Splat
Nickel said:
How would they compensate for the fact that not everyone speaks the same?

Such is how languages evolve from Saxon to English, from Latin to French, and from cro-magnon grunting to Icelandic.

Nickel said:
For example..."ask" vs. "axe" for the inner city folk, and "head" vs. "hayud" for the southern folk?

I have a feeling that if it weren't for a standardized dictionary and sheer stubbornness, that people in America would be speaking several different (although somewhat related) languages by now. Or at the very least, much more distinct dialects.

You'd have the southenahs speaking Yuk-yuk-yuk.
You'd have the newenglandas speaking Er-ah-er-ah-er-ah...
You'd have the west coasters all speaking dude-ese:
And in the southwest, of course, everyone would be speaking Spanglish. Like they do now.

Sincerely,
Dokzeque

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
BuddyLee said:
I have a feeling Jazz is going to hire the best lobbyist's against this.:lmao:

The language has already been bastardized beyond belief. :rolleyes: It's probably inevitable that it will happen. :ohwell:

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
jazz lady said:
The language has already been bastardized beyond belief. :rolleyes: It's probably inevitable that it will happen.
JPC just acquired a new campaign idea! You can bet once he's elected this will take effect immediately. :lol:

forever jewel

Green Eyed Lady
I wouldn't know what to do if the spelling of words was changed. Guess I wouldn't be so good at spelling anymore. :frown:

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
forever jewel said:
I wouldn't know what to do if the spelling of words was changed. Guess I wouldn't be so good at spelling anymore.
I know; it's terrible. :huggy:

I can only think that most of the people that would embrace such a modernization are not people with whom I wish to associate anyhow. Like people that constantly use "texting" language... "r" for "are"; "u" for "you"; "2" for "to"; etc. That isn't good to see in a formal e-mail or letter.

bcp

In My Opinion
residentofcre said:
What about homophones?

I had no Idea that the phones were different for them.

is there some sort of sign on public phones to ensure you dont use the wrong one?