Tiny house

nutz

Do you have any idea how far you have to sit back from a 70 inch tv? Huh, doya? :)

Yes, but that's just more stuff you just couldn't live without. Having stuff and living in a camper or tiny house just doesn't go hand in hand.

nutz

Why did she choose a tiny house over a camper or RV? Same reason people choose a Cape Cod house over a rancher; or choose a Ford over a Chevy: Because.

Most of the ones I've read about are home built. Sold one of my trailers to a guy that used the trailer to build his tiny house. I guess that really means they aren't much different from mobile homes. I don't know of any tiny house home parks though.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Most of the ones I've read about are home built. Sold one of my trailers to a guy that used the trailer to build his tiny house. I guess that really means they aren't much different from mobile homes. I don't know of any tiny house home parks though.

You could always build a tiny house, live on your current land and rent that larger house out as a way to propel your own finances forward. But, you are right, there are limited places unlike an RV which can be parked in RV parks all over the place many are not on board with a tiny house.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Reading this.... well... it mirrors some of the elements that have created my thought process as well. When my mother died, I helped my father sort and purge because the house was a packrat situation. Most was donated, some pieces and things I kept or gave away. I think my dad felt the need to purge at that point in his life to cope with his own grief. I learned I can be the same way. When my sister died, I couldn't do it. It was a situation that was beyond my level of understanding at the time and I later learned the correct term was a hoarder. Of course this was before many of us ever heard the term and the mental process behind it. Our church had to come in and help with dumpsters. It was just awful and I am sure my sister became that way from losing her mother so young. When my grandmother died, I had accumulated so many of her things because she wasn't allowed to live alone the last 2 years of her life. She was at a local Hospice house during the final week of her life and after she died my husband came home and found me sitting in our kitchen. I looked at him and just couldn't believe her long suffering was finally over and told him we needed to make some major changes around our house. After grandma's funeral, I tore up everything, painted colors everywhere, donated, gave things away, sold things and seriously just downsized.

Somewhere in all of this, I just wanted to leave a small footprint and basically rid myself of all the bullcrap we all tend to have in our lives and live a simple life.

Now as to the topic of this thread... I have never understood why one would pick a tiny house over a camper. It just seems campers offer a better set up to me but even in my quest to live a simple life, I am just not sure I could do it under 450/500 square feet. :ohwell:

Right now, I have been working on a laundry room that is 7 X 11 feet with a door going in from the garage and 1 going into our kitchen which pretty much trims the space down to a 7 X 8 foot space and I'm struggling with organizing all I want in a tiny space. :ohwell: My goal here though is to slay this challenge. :wink:

My mom was a meticulous housekeeper when I was growing up with my siblings. My dad was military, and we moved so much that they never toted around a lot of things we never used anymore. Part of that reason I'm sure is - enlisted peeps had a limit on their HHG shipments. She was a SAHM, and she taught me how to really clean a house, from top to bottom, from laundry to cleaning windows and then spring & fall cleaning on top of that. I personally think "true housecleaning" for most these days is a lost art. Seriously.

Anyhoo, I guess it was after my father died that my mom began to stock up on stuff, or not throw things away when she needed to. I think it was a little psychological in that she felt security in having stuff. Then there was the clutter: she moved a couple of times, and did things like moved "the contents of her desk" (which had a bunch of junk in it!) packed in boxes, which she never unpacked when she moved. Then she did that again. I'm pretty sure she just gave up trying to catch up on things that needed to be done, because her health was declining, and it gets overwhelming. One time I went down to visit and she had like 3 laundry baskets filled with towels, sheets, hand towels, etc. in the spare bedroom. For ONE person! It drove me nuts when I folded and put away all that stuff. For ONE person. :jameo:

Still, her "packratiness" had not reached the hoarding level, since there was still "plenty of room" to move in her house :jet: but I would say that it very easily could have gone that way in a few more years.

I just vowed to never do that to my kids, so I really try to keep things pared down and purged. :lmao:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
AND, to add to my last post - I don't want to increase my living space. Ever. I've got more space than I want to clean now (I don't clean it myself, either. My other peeps help out with part of the chores) :yay:

Until Thing1 goes off on his own living someplace else, I'm here. Once I find him an option which will work for him, I'd like to find smaller digs with less work involved. I don't want to clean a house, house maintenance and do yardwork until I'm 70. :lol:

littlelady

God bless the USA
This thread has really helped me. I have become a getting rid of stuff maniac. It feels great!I am now considering something I never thought I would do; as in selling family heirloom antiques. I have a lot that I have been holding on to, but is time. I am calling Chesapeake Auction tomorrow to see how it all works.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My understanding is that a tiny house hooks up just like an RV - water, electric, sewer, cable if they have it. I do know that a number of campgrounds will allow a tiny house on their sites, but not sure how universal it is. Or honestly, why it wouldn't be. It's pretty much a trailer in a different form.

SamSpade

My understanding is that a tiny house hooks up just like an RV - water, electric, sewer, cable if they have it. I do know that a number of campgrounds will allow a tiny house on their sites, but not sure how universal it is. Or honestly, why it wouldn't be. It's pretty much a trailer in a different form.

As originally PITCHED when I first read about them - they weren't intended as trailer replacements. They were scaling back on an actual home.