Tipping the Mail person.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Do you tip your mailman/woman?
Supposedly they are not allowed to except cash.
So, what do you do?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I gave the fella that drives the delivery truck for our metals a dozen frozen soft crabs. He was over the moon...

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Great idea.

But what stops us from giving them cash?
Will it get them in trouble?
Will they give it back?

http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2012/pb22349/html/cover_025.htm

All postal employees, including carriers, must comply with the Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Exec#utive Branch. Under these federal regulations, carriers are permitted to accept a gift worth $20 or less from a customer per occasion, such as Christmas. However, cash and cash equivalents, such as checks or gift cards that can be exchanged for cash, must never be accepted in any amount. Furthermore, no employee may accept more than $50 worth of gifts from any one customer in any one calendar year period.

black dog

Free America
No..fella that delivers for BMG Metals out of Richmond. Young black guy..35ish?

Are you happy with them ?
I tended to use Posner's as a 7/11 .. I bought most of my steel from Steel Services in Ashland. They stock the AR plate and the 4140 round bar I use for building vibratory plow blades. They always did a great job using there enhanced gang plasma to cut out my blanks of 1/2 and 3/4" AR500. At a buck a foot I couldn't cut sheets up that cheap.
Much less having to deal with 10' x 24' sheets of steel.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I used to give my mail guy whatever home made goodie I gave my friends - bacon jam, rosemary foccacia, seedlesss raspberry jam, etc - and an Amazon gift certificate. But they - both the guy who beat his woman to death :twitch: and the guy who replaced him - knew me because I worked from home and saw them almost every day, so they weren't afraid of taking food from me.

The garbage guys are not restricted from taking cash, BTW. And they appreciate food, too.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Christmas cookies and a card for Nancy, our postal carrier, and the UPS person that was never the same person every year; when we lived in Calvert that I miss so much.

There was a note stapled to our trash can on Friday saying 'please don't leave Christmas tips on top of the can...they are being stolen, but instead, tape them to the inside of the can'. Sad, really. :frown: I live in Montgomery County, now.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Are you happy with them ?
I tended to use Posner's as a 7/11 .. I bought most of my steel from Steel Services in Ashland. They stock the AR plate and the 4140 round bar I use for building vibratory plow blades. They always did a great job using there enhanced gang plasma to cut out my blanks of 1/2 and 3/4" AR500. At a buck a foot I couldn't cut sheets up that cheap.
Much less having to deal with 10' x 24' sheets of steel.
I'd say so. Been using them for most of my steel, aluminum and stainless for about 10 years now

Clem72

For the last couple years it seems I have a different mail delivery person every other day, and their schedule varies widely (maybe I get my mail at 9am, maybe at 6pm).

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
Mailman gets nothing. When he stops leaving his cigarette butts all over the place and starts to get the mail in the right boxes maybe I'll consider it :) The Independent delivery person gets a card with $20.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Yes. We have gifted her $50. She is the only mailperson we have ever given anything to. We've always been in a place where we never even see our mailperson, or in Europe, where you don't tip anyone for anything. Our last mail person (lady) was awesome. She's a single parent, working to send her daughter to college. We wanted to help with that.

That said, when she was off, her replacement was awful. The only tip I would have had for her if she were my regular mail person would be to take a long walk on a short pier.

tom88

Why is it we tip the mail man? We pay for a service and they deliver. I don't tip the girl at Macy's when she hands me my purchase, but she worked just as hard for me as the mail carrier did. I tip a restaurant wait staff 20% because they are compensated less by the business. The average salary for a mail carrier is 50K. That's average so many make more. Here's a tip. Get some warm boots because it's gonna be cold this winter.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Why is it we tip the mail man? We pay for a service and they deliver. I don't tip the girl at Macy's when she hands me my purchase, but she worked just as hard for me as the mail carrier did. I tip a restaurant wait staff 20% because they are compensated less by the business. The average salary for a mail carrier is 50K. That's average so many make more. Here's a tip. Get some warm boots because it's gonna be cold this winter.

I'm inclined to agree with you, for the most part. I think there are too many people who think they should get a tip, just because they happen to be breathing air while on the clock.

Why is it we tip the mail man?

I do for 2 reasons. It's just a nice thing to do for someone who is out there all year, in all forms of weather, never getting so much as a 'thank you'. I also consider it a preemptive move. Do something nice for them, and they may be just a bit more careful in making sure your mail gets to your mailbox and not halfway down the street somewhere.

I happen to like our mail carrier. A while back she had the misfortune to have a large dead tree fall on her truck right in front of my house. A foot more forward or back and she might not be here. (no, not my tree...)
20150730_152050.jpg 20150730_152125.jpg

Last edited: