Tips for Air Travel with an Infant

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
Who's got some good ones to share? :snacks:

Maybe it will be helpful to know she'll be 11 months old when we fly, she's on formula, she'll be sitting on our laps, not in her car seat, and it's a 5 hour, non-stop flight.

Discuss.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Keep a bottle(s) ready, sucking on the bottle may help with the ears popping. Bring a few toys and a book or two that the little can play with. Hopefully after you get to cruising altitude the little one will fall asleep for the entire flight... yeah and monkeys can fly out of my butt.:lmao:

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome

Maybe it will be helpful to know she'll be 11 months old when we fly, she's on formula, she'll be sitting on our laps, not in her car seat, and it's a 5 hour, non-stop flight.

Discuss.

Since she's a cutie pie, people will help keep her entertained when she fusses. If you had an ugly baby then I would say just leave her home. :lol:

Nanny Pam

Please don't take this the wrong way, but make sure she's not fussy or crying. The other passengers will complain and you'll have to get off the plane.

Benedryl is your friend. :yay:

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
Please don't take this the wrong way, but make sure she's not fussy or crying. The other passengers will complain and you'll have to get off the plane.

Benedryl is your friend. :yay:

She's an extremely good baby and is very rarely fussy, so I'm assuming she'll either be an angel on the plane, or she'll turn into Satan. :lol:

She's not too young for Benedryl? :confused:

SoMDGirl42

Discuss.

Brings toys and snacks. A little dose of benedryl may help her sleep through the flight. Check with the pediatrian for the correct doseage.

Biggest lesson I learned from my daughters first flight in April. Pack an extra set of clothes for you as well as the baby in your carry on bag. My daughter was a perfect angel. Absolutely no crying and a total joy, laughing and playing the entire time, even when she crawled up on my lap and proceded to :barf: all over me, she still kept a smile. :ohwell: I had a change of clothing for her, but nothing for me, lesson learned.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
Keep plenty of snacks and toys for her to play with. Also let her crawl/walk around before you get on the plane to get that out of her system for a little bit.

Nanny Pam

She's an extremely good baby and is very rarely fussy, so I'm assuming she'll either be an angel on the plane, or she'll turn into Satan. :lol:

I sure wish I could meet her. Her Christmas card was so darn cute!
I'm happy she's a good baby and K-Jo probably won't have any problems with her. Now C-Jo....that's another story! :jameo:

hotmomma

mmmmhmmmmm
My daughter was about 1 1/2 when we went to Arkansas. She was very good on the plane. Never fussed. I had a lot of snacks. I brought a dvd player for her to watch cartoons. I don't know if you child knows what cartoons are yet but that really helped. She sat on my lap and never got antsy.

SoMDGirl42

yeah! :yay: Where was this stuff 39 years ago??

I don't know. 23 years ago, dimeatapp was my best friend. I remember my oldest was about 5. Ex and I were headed out to some big party. She had a bit of the sniffles and was a little cranky. I wanted to give her some dimeatapp to help her rest while we were gone. It was the only time she ever refused to take it, because "That medicine makes me sleepy". :killingme

mrweb

Iron City
My daughter was about 1 1/2 when we went to Arkansas. She was very good on the plane. Never fussed. I had a lot of snacks. I brought a dvd player for her to watch cartoons. I don't know if you child knows what cartoons are yet but that really helped. She sat on my lap and never got antsy.

Years ago we flew back from Italy with our 7 month old. Fussed and wimpered for the first two hours. I got tired of hearing her and put a bit of wine in her water bottle. After about ten tugs on it she slept the rest of the trip.

SoMDGirl42

No. The pediatrican will give you the correct doseage. Make sure you buy the children's benedry, it is only 12.5 mg verses the 25 mg adult dose. I'm guessing at her age, and approximate weight of say 20-23 pounds, 1/4 to 1/2 tsp 1 hour prior to take off.

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
Someone told me I can keep her in her stroller until we get to the jetway, then they'll take it from me and check it. Is this true?

And if so...we have the "travel system" with the carrier that hooks into the stroller. Should I check the carrier with our luggage, or leave it in the stroller and let them handle the whole thing for me?

Geek

I would stock a bag with a few favorite toys and a few new toys. By 11 months she should like a few board books.

And if she cries? Big Deal. People can suck it. Air transportation is for everyone. In a community where children are allowed, sometimes they cry.

Defiantly mention the trip to your Dr. next time you go as well.

Sula

WDF. So worth the wait.
Someone told me I can keep her in her stroller until we get to the jetway, then they'll take it from me and check it. Is this true?

And if so...we have the "travel system" with the carrier that hooks into the stroller. Should I check the carrier with our luggage, or leave it in the stroller and let them handle the whole thing for me?
Yes, you can gate check her stroller at the plane door.

Benadryl works great with some kids. If she has never had it, i wouldn't try it for the first time when you're going to be flying. My second goes crazy on benadryl. It makes him very hyper. It doesn't happen to most kids but it does to some.