Tips on choosing a doctor?

DooDoo1402

The fear of Smell
Thank you, very good ratoinale, you could add that Maryland as a state is experiencing problems with specialized practices because of malpractice insurance issues.
The tax environment reinforces the point that government can create an environment, but not dictate whether a business comes into the county. Obviously if money is to be made, they will come. When the population density is low, income may not offset the fixed costs imposed by the real estate tax. But the BOCC would probably tell you businesses don't vote, people do, and if they had to shift that tax burden to home owneres they would risk re-election.

Oh, don't we all know who they are - what's a four letter word for mafia that begans with the letter S?

shaw? :confused:

BernieP, I think we are saying, and agreeing with the same thing... to an extent. Although, I personally believe that the BOCC has alot more influence on what (or which) businesses build and come here. Apparently you don't agree. That's ok and we both could be wrong. But if you look at property availability for businesses (zoning), you can bet your sweet bippy that Red Robin's and other franchises are dominating the BOCC appointment calendar. No incentive for a doctors practice/group to come here. It wouldn't surprise me if the BOCC individuals drive to different countries for their health care. And as one other poster mentioned about the high taxes on the business; and each and every business MUST go thru the BOCC to establish a license. Believe me, they hold alot of power and control.

You could be correct about the insurance and malpractice, but in a way that doesn't make sense. Why would St Mary's county be any different than other counties that have abundant choices (ie. Calvert, Prince Fredrick, etc.). I just don't believe this county is "black" marked with the Insurance companies. And perhaps the Shaw monopoly have a play in this all (in cahoots with the BOCC).

Here's another avenue to look at it. Ever wonder why there is no shopping mall here? All we have are shopping strips. I've been here since 2000 and one would think by now, given the growth, there would be malls (plural). Nope! None. But you have plenty of them in densely populated areas (ie. white plains, la plata). One would think it would be a cash cow here. There isn't any insurance or malpractice there... Again, I believe the BOCC have a big play in that (zoning, location, license, etc.)

I moved here from living on the west side of Cleveland. And doctors, GOOD doctors are abundant there. I am sure their zoning, insurance and licensing is alot more costly in a city versus a rural town. I'd be willing to bet on that. So that is another reason the insurance/malpractice doesn't fit. The BOCC controls WHO is zoned with a business, WHO is licensed to operate the business and of course, they control the taxes. I am not insinuating that they control completely, but they hold a large percentage of influence. And I believe that THEY, the BOCC have the power and influence to change that if they wanted to...

I talk to co-workers and friends around here. Many who have lived here for years... and they roll their eyes when I speak of the simple family doctor issues around here. They don't think there is any issue, or they are just happy commuting to other counties... :cds:

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA
The county government can set the atmosphere, it's can't make business, be they medical or whatever, locate here. Every political district has an Economic Development program, they are the ones who try to attract new business to an area via incentives (like reduced taxes, etc). Maybe I misunderstood, I to often read posters n here complaining because the BOCC didn't make them build X.

Medicine is a business, ask any doctor, the part they hate about it is dealing with the business side. Had a very frank discussion with a doctor not that long ago about why he sold his practice (but is still practicing medicine in the same office). He simply wants to see patients and not have to be the CEO of a business. So you can look at a medical practice like you would any other business, but with their own special problems.

I don't know that in 15 years I've seen an influx of new medical practices in Calvert Co. If they saw more of an increase then St. Mary's it could be because of taxes, local taxes. FWIW, it's Shah, and I think there is no collusion with the BOCC, it's simply that they were the first major practice and have continued to grow by absorbing others. They have the infastructure, the buildings, the administrative staff etc to support the physicians. One thing they do is that because they are so large, not every doctor in their company has privlideges at the hospital. They, the Shah's, restrict which doctors can practice at the hospital to save on fees. If you see doctor X and are hospitalized, Dr X may not see you in the hospital, your care will be assigned to Dr. V. Because they have absorbed so many practices, they are almost a monopoly, it gives them more leverage with insurance providers AND also in negotiating with the hospital and employees.

For all the bad press Cleveland gets, it's still a major city, and there is medical research that takes place in that area - that attracts quality physicians. I llived just outside a major US city as well, one known for it's academic instititopms which included medical schools and "teaching" hospitals.

That's the other thing to consider, if you are trying to attract new, young physicians, it's hard to compete with these areas. Factor in what they owe on student loans and what their earning potential is here (see monopoly above).

There are some decent doctors here (St. Mary's), some work for the Shah's - I among others choose not to deal with the Shah's. In my case it's the staff and how difficult they make things, how incompetent, rude and aloof they can be.