To all horse riders! Watch out for ticks!

B&L's Mom

A friendly reminder to please protect yourself from ticks while riding. J is home now after being ommitted in the hospital on the 8th with a high fever and bad headaches that he couldn't shake.:doh: While in the hospital he was diagnosed with "Meningitis" and other tests were performed during that time. He has been home with an IV of antibiotic twice a day until this Friday. He went back to the doc today and it was confirmed that he had "ERLICHIOSIS"!

In the United States, ehrlichiae are transmitted by the bite of an infected tick. The lone star tick (Amblyomma americanum), the blacklegged tick (Ixodes scapularis), and the western blacklegged tick (Ixodes pacificus) are known vectors of ehrlichiosis in the United States.

The doctor said it takes up to 2 weeks to start seeing symptoms. So we think that he picked up this nasty tick on our trip at Tuckahoe!

Please check the website search on this crazy disease for further information!

It hit tooooo close to home... so I will be protecting myself on every ride!

Sparks

A friendly reminder to please protect yourself from ticks while riding. J is home now after being ommitted in the hospital on the 8th with a high fever and bad headaches that he couldn't shake.:doh: While in the hospital he was diagnosed with "Meningitis" and other tests were performed during that time. He has been home with an IV of antibiotic twice a day until this Friday. He went back to the doc today and it was confirmed that he had "ERLICHIOSIS"!

In the United States, ehrlichiae are transmitted by the bite of an infected tick. The lone star tick (Amblyomma americanum), the blacklegged tick (Ixodes scapularis), and the western blacklegged tick (Ixodes pacificus) are known vectors of ehrlichiosis in the United States.

Please check the website search on this crazy disease for further information!

It hit tooooo close to home... so I will be protecting myself on every ride!

I had no idea you could get meningitis from ticks. Are you sure it's from the ticks?
There are so many ticks this year. On the horses, on the dogs, they bring them in the house. They're so gross!!!

Last edited:

B&L's Mom

I had no idea you could get meningitis from ticks. There are so many ticks this year. On the horses, on the dogs, they bring them in the house. They're so gross!!!

Erhlichiosis is from a tick bite.. whatever you do... please protect yourself... it even gives a list of what types of sprays to use on the website search... If you're not sure, I can get that for you!

Last edited:

FrmGrl

Get some!
Ehrlichiosis is not meningitis. Meningitis comes in either viral or bacteria and is mostly human to human spread. Ehrlichiosis is spread by ticks, has symptons just like meningitis and can be equally dangerous. Both are treated with anitibiotics. Encephalitis can also occur from a tick infected with Lymes. They are horrible this year. My cat is bringing them in daily and that is with Frontline on.

Last edited:

B&L's Mom

Ehrlichiosis is not meningitis. Meningitis comes in either viral or bacteria and is mostly human to human spread. Ehrlichiosis is spread by ticks, has symptons just like meningitis and can be equally dangerous. Both are treated with anitibiotics. Encephalitis can also occur from a tick infected with Lymes. They are horrible this year. My cat is bringing them in daily and that is with Frontline on.

We clearly know that Ehrlichiosis is not meningitis. J was tested first with meningitis and then with Ehrlichiosis.

FrmGrl

Get some!
I think she's just trying to clarify for the rest of us. We do get things twisted sometimes! :smile:
Thanks Fred...it was more for Sparks's comment about getting Meningitis from ticks. I see you edited your comment as well B&L to reflect the same. I didnt want Sparks or anyone else thinking they can get Meningitis from ticks but the whole point is to be careful because the things you can get from them are no walk in the park either. Glad he is doing better.

Last edited:

Sparks

Sorry to sound like an idiot. :doh: I know nothing about meningitis, though I thought it was some sort of virus.

FrmGrl

Get some!
Sorry to sound like an idiot. :doh: I know nothing about meningitis, though I thought it was some sort of virus.
Well, you are right. There are two types Viral and Bacterial. You are not an idiot.. most people dont know until they or someone they love gets it.

B&L's Mom

Well, you are right. There are two types Viral and Bacterial. You are not an idiot.. most people dont know until they or someone they love gets it.

You are also right... It was just viral meningitis and not bacterial that J had... thank god! and sorry if I confused anyone about meningitis. :confused:

I cannot believe that J happens to be the 1 out of 1.? million (statistics) that got the ehrlichiosis... unbelievable!

FrmGrl

Get some!
You are also right... It was just viral meningitis and not bacterial that J had... thank god! and sorry if I confused anyone about meningitis. :confused:

I cannot believe that J happens to be the 1 out of 1.? million (statistics) that got the ehrlichiosis... unbelievable!
Wow! J has had a really had a tough road. Sorry you and J are going through this. I have never seen so many ticks as I have this year. I apologize also..I was not trying to make anyone feel stupid. Hope he/she gets better real soon!!!:yay:

chevylover

PIP ~ My Baby Boy!
My daughter was hospitalized for three days with Lyme Disease. They were concerned about Meningitis too becaue her fever was 104.5 It was very scary, but fortunately all her tests came back normal. This was from the third tick I've gotten off of her this year.

B&L's Mom

Wow! J has had a really had a tough road. Sorry you and J are going through this. I have never seen so many ticks as I have this year. I apologize also..I was not trying to make anyone feel stupid. Hope he/she gets better real soon!!!:yay:

Thank you for your concerns... it's greatly appreciated!

B&L's Mom

My daughter was hospitalized for three days with Lyme Disease. They were concerned about Meningitis too becaue her fever was 104.5 It was very scary, but fortunately all her tests came back normal. This was from the third tick I've gotten off of her this year.

I am very sorry to hear and hope she is doing much better now. Did they actually fine the tick on her or the bite?

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
I have had already known several people to get Lyme disease and I did not know you could get (that big long word :lmao:) from ticks too. I hope he gets better soon. Darn ticks are everywhere.

chevylover

PIP ~ My Baby Boy!
I am very sorry to hear and hope she is doing much better now. Did they actually fine the tick on her or the bite?

Thanks, she's doing much better now, and is on a course of antibiotics for three weeks. I pulled the tick off of her the week before she got sick, but the "bull's eye" didn't show up until a day after she started running a fever.

chevylover

PIP ~ My Baby Boy!
I have had already known several people to get Lyme disease and I did not know you could get (that big long word :lmao:) from ticks too. I hope he gets better soon. Darn ticks are everywhere.

From what I was told by the doctors that were treating her in the hospital, Lyme Disease can cause Meningitis, and is more prevalent in children. It can also affect your joints and cause other neurological problems. A friends son had it and a year later was having eye problems, and they said it was from the Lyme Disease.

KMPaddy2255

I was reading up on Lyme Disease the other day (other infections that can come from a tick bite), and it said that sometimes the bullseye doesn't always show up. Alot of times it can be flu like symptoms, and often over looked. They also say that Lyme Disease can be diagnosed as Lupus which affects the joints and internal organs. They say if you pull one or multiple off you put them in seperate jars with a cotton ball that has alcohol on it. Some cases the doctor can send it off to be tested.

Hope your loved one is feeling better?

devinej

dang this is so weird. i mean when i was little (not that long ago) i'd get ticks ALL the time and we never worried about getting diseases. running around in the woods, getting hundreds of seed ticks half way up my legs that you had to practically shave off...yuck.

what changed?? why are all the ticks so dangerous now? or were they dangerous before and we just didn't know it?

spellbound

dang this is so weird. i mean when i was little (not that long ago) i'd get ticks ALL the time and we never worried about getting diseases. running around in the woods, getting hundreds of seed ticks half way up my legs that you had to practically shave off...yuck.

what changed?? why are all the ticks so dangerous now? or were they dangerous before and we just didn't know it?

Same here Devine. Getting multiple tick bites every day was normal. Are we immune to their diseases?