Toilet explodes in Florida home after lightning strikes septic tank

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
A Florida homeowner got an explosive surprise over the weekend after a lightning strike triggered a blast that destroyed a toilet.

Marylou Ward and her husband were sitting in their Port Charlotte home as a thunderstorm rolled through on Sunday when she said she heard a "boom" that was "the loudest noise I ever heard."

“We smelled smoke and I looked outside,” Ward told WINK News. “It was the smoke from the septic tank that was coming.”

When she stepped into her bathroom, she discovered the toilet was now in hundreds of pieces. A plumber from A-1 Affordable Plumbing Inc. told the couple the lightning strike ignited methane gas that built up in the pipes and septic tanks. Methane is typically emitted during the breakdown of sewage in waste systems.

:yikes: And why I never use the toilet during a thunderstorm. :lol:

Hijinx

Lightning usually hits the highest thing. The septic is not high, but I guess the lightning was drawn by the metal maintenance hole cover.
The gender people won't let us call it a man hole any longer.

I too try to stay away from the bathroom but mostly because of the pipe for the vent coming through the roof.
Mine is metal and it is high. Now most are plastic.