Tonight is THE Night!!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Both of those kids were great and it was fitting that they were the ones in the final. I expect that they will both have very lucrative careers shortly.

Way to go Rueben and good work Clay.

Pookie

Ghetto Fabulous
I just had to post this cuz I'm still excited about Ruben's win!

Lanky hearthrop......:boo:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Alabama powerhouse Ruben Studdard, dubbed the "Velvet Teddy Bear," was crowned the new "American Idol" Wednesday in a cliff-hanging end to a televised search for the nation's next instant pop star.

Studdard beat North Carolina student Clay Aiken, who underwent a transformation from bespectacled geek to lanky heartthrob.

The two faced off in a finale of three songs each Tuesday night that sent 24 million Americans to their phones to vote for the winner.

"I am just elated. I have dreamed of being in this place my whole life. There's nothing better than living out your dream," Studdard told reporters.

Organizers of Wednesday's two-hour Fox TV show at the Universal Amphitheater in Los Angeles said only 130,000 votes finally separated Studdard and Aiken, who charmed audiences with their diverse personalities and vocal styles.

Studdard's victory assured him of a recording contract, but a delighted Aiken said he too had been offered a contract to record his own album.

Studdard, 24, who has been singing since the age of three, was dubbed the "velvet teddy bear" earlier in the competition by celebrity judge Gladys Knight.

The burly Studdard sparked a frenzy with his winning smile, soulful voice and wardrobe of T-shirts emblazoned with the "205" telephone code for Birmingham, Alabama.

Aiken, also 24, a former YMCA counselor, sang his way into the final 12 lineup courtesy of a wild card, despite being told at the outset he didn't look like a pop star.

But Aiken was transformed by contact lenses and a spiky-haired makeover that complemented his pitch-perfect voice and inspired a fan club called the Claymates.

Aiken, left, said there was no disappointment in losing. "I couldn't have had a better experience," he said.
Aiken said there was no disappointment in losing. "I couldn't have had a better experience," he said.

Despite the result, both singers look destined for fame more because of talent than looks. "It was image over talent," said tart-tongued British judge Simon Cowell. "Talent won."

Judge Randy Jackson predicted both men would go "straight to the top. They are both very talented. There is nothing in their way."

Fox TV's search for the "American Idol 2" proved an even bigger hit than last year, drawing audiences of about 20 million per episode and helping to boost overall profits of the Fox Entertainment Group.

Organizers said a total of some 250 million votes were received over the past four months, more than double those phoned in last year.

Controversy and scandal did nothing to hurt the show. Three contestants were thrown out -- one for having posed topless on an Internet site, and two for failing to disclose criminal records. U.S. Marine Joshua Gracin made the final four despite the fact that the Iraq war came and went during the show.

A third "American Idol" is planned, but fans may have to do without music industry executive Cowell, who said he wanted to return to producing music in England.

jrogers

Originally posted by ememdee19
I just had to post this cuz I'm still excited about Ruben's win!

Organizers of Wednesday's two-hour Fox TV show at the Universal Amphitheater in Los Angeles said only 130,000 votes finally separated Studdard and Aiken, who charmed audiences with their diverse personalities and vocal styles.

Wrong

The votes are in for the second installment of American Idol, and America has made its choice. By only 1,350 votes out of over 24 million votes cast, Ruben Studdard, the plus-sized "teddy bear of love," defeated Dixie crooner Clay Aiken to win the second American Idol competition. :bawl:

Tech-savvy viewers may skew 'American Idol' vote

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Producers of American Idol say the talent contest is being slammed by "power dialers" trying to influence the results. With fast Internet connections and powerful computer autodialing software, about 100 "phone phreaks" are casting thousands of votes with the touch of a button, producers acknowledged this week. With fast Internet connections and powerful computer autodialing software, about 100 "phone phreaks" are casting thousands of votes with the touch of a button, producers acknowledged this week in response to questions from the Associated Press.

What's being done about power dialing?

Production will have in place weekly monitoring procedures designed to prevent individuals from unfairly influencing the outcome of the voting by generating significant blocks of votes using technical enhancements. The producers reserve the right to remove any votes identified by producers as 'power dialing' votes.

:confused:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Everything has to be such a friggin' controversy :duh: GET A LIFE, LOSERS!!!! Clay has too much class to pull a Gore anyway.

The Velvet Teddy Bear - nicknamed by none other than Gladys Knight! What a rush!

K

Kain99

Originally posted by jazz lady
Don't think it's temporary. :bubble:

God people! What do you expect from a sista? I've worked valiantly on the better person part...... Give me time - I'll regain my sanity somehow.....:lmao:

K

Kain99

High pitched whiny, shrill voice.....

Why are you guys being so mean to me? :bawl:

demsformd

WHERE'S MY DAMN RECOUNT????

Voter irregularities, missing ballots, and my daughter couldn't get through to vote for Clay. What the hell is going on? I think that the Ruben good ole' boys decided to buy this one for their buddy.

The voting rights of America were circumvented last night...it is time to protest.

I can't wait for the Court to decide this one too.

K

Kain99

Well, Dems I wasn't gonna say this but... I got through 6 times only to hear...Please dial a 1 before calling this number. Total digital B.S.! Finally with 3 minutes to spare I got through.... :rolleyes:

jrogers

Originally posted by demsformd
WHERE'S MY DAMN RECOUNT????

Voter irregularities, missing ballots, and my daughter couldn't get through to vote for Clay. What the hell is going on? I think that the Ruben good ole' boys decided to buy this one for their buddy.

The voting rights of America were circumvented last night...it is time to protest.

I can't wait for the Court to decide this one too.

Idol's" commanding win was only slightly marred by allegations Thursday of irregularities in tabulating the phoned-in votes between Studdard and runner-up Clay Aiken. Seacrest told viewers live that the contest had been very close, with a margin of about 13,000 votes among the 24 million cast. When a producer attempted to correct him, Seacrest slipped again and pegged the margin at 1,335 votes.

In fact, Studdard won by about 130,000 votes, garnering 50.3% of the total vote, according to Fox.

A Fox spokesman said Thursday that Studdard was the clear winner and there would not be a recount. :boo:

Read the whole story.
38 Million Vote for 'Idol' Finale

K

Kizzy

and that big voice would never come out of skinny, doofy Clay.

:lol: My sister is the same size as Pixie, and she sings all over the place. So many people say that there is no way a voice like that comes from such a little body, but it does.

Ruben and Clay both have singles to be released this week. What is strange is that Clay's single is much higher on the chart than Ruben's. I think I heard Ruben's single is number 389. It will be interesting to see how they both do down the road.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by cariblue
Anita Baker. She was dubbed "the little girl with the big voice" or something like that. Anyone remember?

Oh, yeah. :dude: In fact, I'm going to her concert tomorrow night at Wolf Trap. :dance: