too early?

IntegritysDream

Is it to early to start blanketing?
I have been putting a heavy weight sheet (not blanket, sheet) on my horse because he hasnt gotten too much of a winter coat yet, and since just a few days ago it was almost 100 degress and now its not that cold at night, but with the wind chill its been pretty chill, ive read that anytime weather changes that abrupt like this you might want to for the first few nights, but then someone at my farm was saying that im actully hurting my horse by doing that becasue if i put a sheet on him at night when the temp drops in the 40s and its so windy, that hes not going to get a winter coat then.
:pete:
i probably wouldnt even put it on him most of the time, but just cause its been not just a little chilly at night, but you throw in that wind chill, i was bundled up in blankets =)

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
I say no...I have my little booger all wrapped up whenever it drops below 60!

BUT if all you do is sheet...then you are screwing them up by not providing a source of heat and not allowing them to puff up their coat to heat themselves. If you blanket, you probably should blanket with the appropriate rated blanket. Sheets do little other than keep them clean. JMO....hope your horse looks beautiful!

Last edited:

IntegritysDream

haha, i generally only do it when its under 50, ill put his heavy sheet on, then when its under 40 i put his heavy blanket on, and i was like man i know its hard on us to go from 100 to 60s in 2 days, im like an ice pop in the AMs, and i couldnt imagin being out there at night all night when its not only in mid 40s but theres a cold wind blowing and hes like near the water, so i was like well im putting it on him anyways and if he doesnt grow more of winter coat, ill just have to keep something on him.

DQ2B

I generally don't blanket at all. Exceptions would be winter trailering in an open stock trailer or if they are soaked and shivering.

FrmGrl

Get some!
I usually follow the blanket under 40 rule. Eve sprouted a furry coat when it got cold a few weeks ago. I think it depends on the horse and if you want your horse to be furry or not so furry.

Loper

Animal Poor!
I usually follow the blanket under 40 rule. Eve sprouted a furry coat when it got cold a few weeks ago. I think it depends on the horse and if you want your horse to be furry or not so furry.

I do the same if they are going to be in the stall at night and can't run around, but they have been out 24/7 the last couple of days. of course if it's raining that's different then a turn-out sheet for under 65 and heavier when under 50... but I want my guys FURRY!

fredsaid2

Growing their winter coat is dictated by the change of daylight. The coat is already coming in just not the long hairs yet. Doesn't he already feel more furry to you? Like appendix said, it's when you flatten the long hairs that you mess w/ their natural insulation. Some horses don't grow much of a winter coat and you may want to blanket. Most are just fine w/o unless it's a cold wind or raining.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Growing their winter coat is dictated by the change of daylight. The coat is already coming in just not the long hairs yet. Doesn't he already feel more furry to you? Like appendix said, it's when you flatten the long hairs that you mess w/ their natural insulation. Some horses don't grow much of a winter coat and you may want to blanket. Most are just fine w/o unless it's a cold wind or raining.

Yep Fred is right...as always...daylight hours...I only blanket Roger who is in alot but he is under lights till 10 pm and does NOT grow a winter coat. Not even with just a light winter sheet. In the spring to shed them out you dont blanket you turn on the lights...same with getting a mare to cycle.

Loper

Animal Poor!

all my guys but one have the long hairs growing on their chests in little patches already... :howdy:

W

WhoCares

Yep Fred is right...as always...daylight hours...I only blanket Roger who is in alot but he is under lights till 10 pm and does NOT grow a winter coat. Not even with just a light winter sheet. In the spring to shed them out you dont blanket you turn on the lights...same with getting a mare to cycle.

I have started to blanket Mr. Man at night in his stall. During the day he is not blanketed at all. When it is colder during the day he will get his turnout sheet put on. I need to get a stable blanket for nighttime.

Loper

Animal Poor!

hmmm interesting... less light stimulates the growth cycle?

Loper

Animal Poor!
I have started to blanket Mr. Man at night in his stall. During the day he is not blanketed at all. When it is colder during the day he will get his turnout sheet put on. I need to get a stable blanket for nighttime.

what size is he? might be able to help you out... :whistle:

Loper

Animal Poor!
Yep it is the daylight hours not the cold as much...notice it gets darker earlier...and the horses get fluffier?

yep, all mine but one are getting fluffy... :lmao: Nicky is the only one not he's got a coat like a english pointer still.. but I don't think he grew much of one last year either... I'll have to go back to my notes... Dakota feels velvety... :lmao:

fredsaid2

Yep it is the daylight hours not the cold as much...notice it gets darker earlier...and the horses get fluffier?

Mine has the undercoat not the long coat yet. I only blanketed a few times last year, he was absolutely fine. I trace clipped one year when he was in regular work and kept him blanketed. Much easier cooling out w/ the clip. Plus you have the bonus of a clean horse! Otherwise I'd rather do w/o checking blankets, shoulder rubs and worrying over weather changes while I was at work and couldn't get to him.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Lets see. I blanket when the temps get in the single digits. Or if it's a rainy mess below 20 at night. When it's 40-50 during the day, in the SUN my horses HATE having blankets on, but if you had previously blanketed them you have to wait until it warms up enough so that don't freeze when you remove the blanket and their coats are smashed down.

My guys have never looked uncomfortable and they LOVE rolling in the snow. Oh, and my new mare...from Canada? She wintered with -40 windchills...no blanket. When I first got Peanut up here from Mississippi it was the last week in December and he had little to no winter coat. I blanketed him at night when it was really cold until he was able to grow his coat.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a43/_phyxius_/06snow/wrubyroll3.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a43/_phyxius_/06snow/wdeebuck.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a43/_phyxius_/06snow/peanut2.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a43/_phyxius_/06snow/lululook.jpg
(The donkeys aren't supposed to like cold and I blanket them too, but they seem to do fine as well. All have optional shelter and most opt to stay out.)

Last edited:
W

WhoCares

Lets see. I blanket when the temps get in the single digits. Or if it's a rainy mess below 20 at night. When it's 40-50 during the day, in the SUN my horses HATE having blankets on, but if you had previously blanketed them you have to wait until it warms up enough so that don't freeze when you remove the blanket and their coats are smashed down.

My guys have never looked uncomfortable and they LOVE rolling in the snow. Oh, and my new mare...from Canada? She wintered with -40 windchills...no blanket. When I first got Peanut up here from Mississippi it was the last week in December and he had little to no winter coat. I blanketed him at night when it was really cold until he was able to grow his coat.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a43/_phyxius_/06snow/wrubyroll3.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a43/_phyxius_/06snow/wdeebuck.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a43/_phyxius_/06snow/peanut2.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a43/_phyxius_/06snow/lululook.jpg
(The donkeys aren't supposed to like cold and I blanket them too, but they seem to do fine as well. All have optional shelter and most opt to stay out.)

They look like they are having a blast!