too early?

mingiz

Horse Poor
I never blanket mine unless it's below 20 with a wind chill. There stalled only when the weather is going to be crappy. I've never had a sick horse doing this. Let em be all natural...:whistle:

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
84. He is a big guy.

Can't help you there...I have 87" and 94". 84" is a pretty standard size, you should be able to find it in the tack stores pretty easily. Let me know if you can't, I'll swing by dover or Just One More and check.

W

WhoCares

Can't help you there...I have 87" and 94". 84" is a pretty standard size, you should be able to find it in the tack stores pretty easily. Let me know if you can't, I'll swing by dover or Just One More and check.

Thanks...I haven't looked at Elam's yet. He has big boy stuff. At the barn shop they are smaller, and I have his new turnout blanket waiting for me to buy it. He destroyed his stable blanket from last year. Doofus here turned him out in it, and he ripped it. DUR

Loper

Animal Poor!
84. He is a big guy.

might have something for ya... let me check tomorrow... ordered 8 blankets when it was in the single digits last year and they sent the wrong sizes on 5 of 8 blankets I ordered... gave them hell! but I think it might be an 86...

W

WhoCares

might have something for ya... let me check tomorrow... ordered 8 blankets when it was in the single digits last year and they sent the wrong sizes on 5 of 8 blankets I ordered... gave them hell! but I think it might be an 86...

86 would probably work. I would need to try it on him.

IntegritysDream

Hes a little fluffy, but its not like its long or really that much of a winter coat.. But like last year it wasnt like wooly mammoth thick or even "poofy" id say, it was just like fuzzy,(lord knows hes fat enough to hold his own warmth haha just kidding) and hes in during the day, so i take it off when hes in the stall, but he gets turned out at night and thats when i throw it on him, but im not sure if what i have is a heavy sheet or light weight blanket, which ever it is, thats what i had been putting on him through the 2 windy nights, but im gonna leave it off unless they call for rain or wind and its going to be low 40s. I cant wait till they switch over to out daytime in at night.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
My horse is a big fur ball already, since I am not going to be showing her much this winter she will get blanketed below 45 or 40, I can't remember which one. I need a blanket below 75! Brrr I am cold.

2baymares

I keep a short coat on my mare (no lights).
She will not sweat in the cold months when I ride & Makes for easy cool-down.
I blanket in a stall if under 50 degrees.
I put 2 blankets on if under 30 degrees.
I do not blanket while horse in paddock or pasture. As long as they can move they can stay warm. This also encourages them to self-exercise.
I only put a waterproof turnout blanket when weather is going to be cold rainy (under 50) or cold windy (under 30) all day long.

Sparks

I'm going to have to clip my mare and start blanketing since I plan to work her all winter. She's a huge hair-ball already. Makes cooling out a pain.

eventrder

I keep a short coat on my mare (no lights).
She will not sweat in the cold months when I ride & Makes for easy cool-down.
I blanket in a stall if under 50 degrees.
I put 2 blankets on if under 30 degrees.
I do not blanket while horse in paddock or pasture. As long as they can move they can stay warm. This also encourages them to self-exercise.
I only put a waterproof turnout blanket when weather is going to be cold rainy (under 50) or cold windy (under 30) all day long.

Its all about preference and what your horse is used to. My routine

Lightweight if its under 50,
Start coming into their stalls at night when it gets below 45
heavy weight if its under 40
under 30 they get fleece and heavyweight
and of course they have their rain coats on if its going to be windy or wet. Its the wind that gets them, if you can stop the wind from cutting through them they will stay happy! Wind breaker and lots of Hay!!
If its going to be 40 or below during the day mine will keep their light weights on because they are clipped.

I have one of my college students go by the barn in the late morning to check on them, if it warms up from the time I leave for work in the morning she will take blankets off or switch from heavy to light. When I leave for work in the morning its way too early and still too cold. Once it gets super cold I will feed them in the morning when I leave for work but they will stay in their stalls until she lets them out late morning.

Sparks

I have one of my college students go by the barn in the late morning to check on them, if it warms up from the time I leave for work in the morning she will take blankets off or switch from heavy to light. When I leave for work in the morning its way too early and still too cold. Once it gets super cold I will feed them in the morning when I leave for work but they will stay in their stalls until she lets them out late morning.

You are SOOOO lucky. :howdy:

eventrder

You are SOOOO lucky. :howdy:

She helps me out sooooooo much and I give her CHEAP lessons for it! She is always the one Barn sitting for me when I go away and she holds for the farrier. Its great! She is an amazing kid! Plus it works for her because she gets free lessons! hahaha!