Top 5 QBs of all time

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
On sports talk radio they were discussing the top 5 QBs off all time now that Manning has retired. Then callers were able to give their top 5 and explain why they picked who the selected.

A common phrase you hear is that it's hard to compare QBs from different eras. Rule were different, players ability were different, yada, yada.

So take Terry Bradshaw. He played from 1970 to 1983. 2 time Super Bowl MVP. Won 4 Super Bowls. He has lots of things to back up his play. When he came into the league there were only 26 teams.

John Unitas played even earlier beginning his career in 1956 and was a relevant QB until 1970, when he started 13 games. 26 teams in 2 leagues.

Joe Montana was a few decades ahead of the people retiring now. He won a bunch of Super Bowls & has 3 SB MVPs. His career began back when there were 28 teams. His last season was 1994.

Now here's the rub. In 1995 the league expanded to 30 teams. 2 more teams were added in 2002 and that is how many teams there are now. Teams are allowed 53 players. Most teams carry the same amount of players at each position. Back ups play on special teams often. So since Joe Montana left 4 teams have been added. On any given Sunday in 2016 there are 212 guy playing that 2 decades ago would not have been good enough to make a roster. The quality of play has to suffer. No wonder teams have trouble finding a franchise QB as there aren't 20 of those let alone 32.

Modern QBs get to pass against defenses that arguably have 8 crappy cornerbacks that shouldn't be in the league. They are only here due to expansion. Toss in the fact that the league has tweaked the rules to make it a pass happy league and now you get the bloated QB numbers that you see today.

When the leagues merged in 1970 the top passing team averaged 209 yards per game for 14 games. The bottom team averaged 113 yards a game. Today teams get 113 yards passing in a quarter and a half. The 1970 league average for completions was 51%.

Getting back to the radio show the consensus was that #1 is Tom Brady followed by Montana then Manning. Then the arguments start in earnest. Elway, Young, Staubach, Bradshaw, Unitas, Favre, Marino, Brees etc. Nobody mentioned RG3.

Warren Moon could be in the conversation if he wasn't banished to Canada for 6 years during his prime. Who's on your top 5 list?

BlueBird

Tom Brady is number 1
Joe Montana is Number 2
Peyton Manning is number 3
Terry Bradshaw is number 4
I'll go with Staubach at number 5

One thing for sure is who the number one is. He gets scoffed at because he plays for the evil empire, but no one can rationally argue what he's been able to do in N.E in a salary cap, free agency era. The Patriots have not given him "A" list receivers over the years either with the exception of Randy Moss and Brady has always gotten it done. I'm not a New England fan but as a fan of the game I can respect and appreciate what Tom Brady has done in New England. Now that Peyton is officially retired many of his records will be broken by TB12. Four super bowl rings by a QB these days is something very special. he may even get number 5....

donbarzini

No manning in your top 5? Two different teams to the SB and huge career numbers are pretty impressive stats.

No. I want you to consider this. What could each of those five have done with the early Colts teams that Peyton was given?

PeoplesElbow

On any given Sunday in 2016 there are 212 guy playing that 2 decades ago would not have been good enough to make a roster. The quality of play has to suffer. No wonder teams have trouble finding a franchise QB as there aren't 20 of those let alone 32.

I don't think that is true personally, I think a lot of the guys on the cusp just didn't get the right fit or opportunity. There are plenty of examples of players being pulled from obscurity to become great.

Willie Parker did great at a Pittsburgh running back but didn't even start at North Carolina, Tom Brady was a 6th round pick, Kurt Warner came from the arena league, Doug Flutie was shunned because he didn't fit the idea of how tall a QB should be. I can go on and on with examples such as these where players just happened to catch a lucky break to become players or were denied the chance to play for stupid reasons.

Blister

"Now here's the rub. In 1995 the league expanded to 30 teams. 2 more teams were added in 2002 and that is how many teams there are now. Teams are allowed 53 players. Most teams carry the same amount of players at each position. Back ups play on special teams often. So since Joe Montana left 4 teams have been added. On any given Sunday in 2016 there are 212 guy playing that 2 decades ago would not have been good enough to make a roster. The quality of play has to suffer. No wonder teams have trouble finding a franchise QB as there aren't 20 of those let alone 32.

Modern QBs get to pass against defenses that arguably have 8 crappy cornerbacks that shouldn't be in the league. They are only here due to expansion. Toss in the fact that the league has tweaked the rules to make it a pass happy league and now you get the bloated QB numbers that you see today."

I think the expansion argument is totally bogus. In 1970 the US pop. was 205 million, in 2002 it was 287 million. 82 million potential players can't produce 8 NFL caliber cornerbacks? I'm an old fart, so I know one when I hear one. "By crikey back in my day...." The game and rules have changed to boost ratings and revenue period.

BlueBird

No. I want you to consider this. What could each of those five have done with the early Colts teams that Peyton was given?

Never really thought of that but you make one heck of a good point. Manning always had great receivers to throw to and he still couldn't get it done in the post season against lesser teams.

BigBlue

Was given??? Every player has to make due with what the team has built ,consider this would Brady be as good without Belichick ?

Montana
P. Manning
Brady
Elway
Jim Kelly

CrashTest

Was given??? Every player has to make due with what the team has built ,consider this would Brady be as good without Belichick ?

Montana
P. Manning
Brady
Elway
Jim Kelly

No. Just look at what Matt Cassel did for a full season with Belichick. Could you imagine Manning with Belichick for 18 years.

donbarzini

Montana
P. Manning
Brady
Elway
Jim Kelly

My point was that the five I mentioned would NOT have ended every season, but one, with a loss like Peyton did. And please don't bring up this latest season. He had less to do with that win than Trent Dilfer did for the Ravens.

Grumpy

Elway - took very ordinary teams to the SB, never been a QB as valuable to a team as he was.
Montana - money
Brady - ultimate competitor
P Manning - analytic
Staubach - probably could name a bunch in this spot, but his being a class act takes it.

donbarzini

I think the Pats were 11-5 that season.

Just goes to show that anyone can play QB for Belichick - especially if they're throwing deflated footballs in that cold weather up there.

Okay first, they were 11-5 because Cassel was kept EXTREMELY limited as to what was expected from him. They relied on the running game and the defense to win games. Just as the Ravens did with Dilfer.

Second.............really? A f#cking 7th grader in Lynn, Massachusetts just disproved Ted Well's "science". And in the most delicious bit of irony, check out the kids last name

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/03/...ll-new-england-patriots-lynn-science-project/

Grumpy

Okay first, they were 11-5 because Cassel was kept EXTREMELY limited as to what was expected from him. They relied on the running game and the defense to win games. Just as the Ravens did with Dilfer.

Second.............really? A f#cking 7th grader in Lynn, Massachusetts just disproved Ted Well's "science". And in the most delicious bit of irony, check out the kids last name

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/03/...ll-new-england-patriots-lynn-science-project/

:notworthy:

Not a patriots fan but I am so sick of deflategate, the NFL's report was so full of crap that it took a 7th grader 8 pages to disprove their 400+page report.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
:notworthy:

Not a patriots fan but I am so sick of deflategate, the NFL's report was so full of crap that it took a 7th grader 8 pages to disprove their 400+page report.

Sick is far too mild a word. The nfl is trumpian in their insistence of how wonderful and successful all that egg is on their faces.

Grumpy

Marino
Elway
Montana
Staubach

Resisted the urge to put 9 up there, but of all the QBs listed, I enjoyed watching Sonny more. Probably cuz I am a skins fan and my age at the time. He is brought up less and less in these types of discussions.