Top 50 Coolest Albums

S

ShellyCW

U2: Joshua Tree
The Beatles: Abbey Road
Squirrel Nut Zippers: Hot!  (Nobody ever knows them, but they're good!)
:dance:  :yay:  :dance:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Barbra - They are one of my all time favorites.  

I bought Sailing to Philadelphia by Mark Knofler as soon as it came out and it's awesome!

Y

yornoc

Originally posted by ShellyCW
U2: Joshua Tree
The Beatles: Abbey Road
Squirrel Nut Zippers: Hot!  (Nobody ever knows them, but they're good!)
:dance: _:yay: _:dance:

Great choices!!!
I saw SNZ (Squirrel Nut Zippers) in concert in 1998... Very, very good. That was during my drinking days so I don't remember a whole lot except that they had a horn section (I guess you could call it a small brass wind).

IMHO, Joshua Tree is U2's best. :bubble:

I'll take any Beatles album/song anytime.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Rolling Stone is a shell of its former self. It hasn't been a true alternative voice since the mid-1970s.

Anyway, I don't think much of "best of" album lists, because these are so subjective. I'm more interested in debating "most influential" bands or albums. Examples that come to mind are Beatles, Hendrix, Led Zep, Ramones, Judas Priest, Nirvana and Springsteen.

G

giggles04

I don't even know who half of those artists on that list are!

RangerJohn

They didn't even choose the albums that defined the particular artist. The Velvet Underground's Loaded or the Velvet Underground & Nico were much more influential than "White Light/White Heat". David Bowie's Space Oddity or Ziggy Stardust were definitive works. Dark Side of the Moon outsells countless active groups 30 years after it's release.

How could the Chili Peppers "Blood Sugar Sex Magic" be left out? Or Bob Marley? The Clash? Even Rolling Stone darlings, the Sex Pistols were left out.

Whoever decided that the editors must have drawn the names out of a hat gives RS too much credit.....I think they were swayed by advertising $$$ myself.

Of course I haven't read RS in several years.....they've gone from being the voice of a generation to just being a shill for advertiser's.

But there were some good choices I saw posted in here that were just as valid, if not more so, than what RS listed. Too bad we can't get a local radio station to play some of those!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
RS always does stupid things like highlight obscure bands that nobody's ever even heard of, let alone listened to. They think that makes them "cool". Probably made half of them up - "See how cool we are? We know intimately bands that you've never heard of!"

kel22

now i know you all can not forget about Mary J. Blige's first two albums "What's the 411?", and "My Life"!!! those albums are the best

Voter2002

"Fill your hands you SOB!
More nominees that should have been considered...

Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery

Boz Scaggs - Silk Degrees

Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard

:bawl:

Makavide

Not too talkative
What about

Eagles, 38 Special, CSNY, Billy Joel, Simon and Garfunkel, Buddy Holly, Santana, Jefferson Airplane to name a few.