Tourist/Historic areas

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
jwwb2000 said:
There are many places in San Diego to visit and you are able to park your car and either catch a trolley or a bus for pretty cheap. If you stay in Mission Valley, there is plenty of shopping including two malls within 2 miles of each other. There is also tons of places to eat such as Dave and Busters, In and Out, Gordon Biersh (local brewery), Bennyhana's, ect. Another place to visit while there is Old Towne. Very neat place. A couple other areas that might interest you if visiting San Diego, Coronado. This is where the Hotel Del Coronado is located. There are plenty of places to grab a bite to eat on the island and if you want to take a water taxi from downtown to the island, that is one way to enjoy your visit.
I so want to go back to San Diego but this time as a vacation. My sister was born there and I finally got to visit it when I went to a conference there a couple years back, but didn't get much of a chance to see the area. I did play hookey from the conference one afternoon and took one of the city tours, managing to make it to the San Diego Zoo and Coronado among other stops. The conference booked Sea World one night and that was pretty cool too. We did stroll the Gaslamp District one night and ate at a very good but pricey Mexican restaurant.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
jazz lady said:
I so want to go back to San Diego but this time as a vacation. My sister was born there and I finally got to visit it when I went to a conference there a couple years back, but didn't get much of a chance to see the area. I did play hookey from the conference one afternoon and took one of the city tours, managing to make it to the San Diego Zoo and Coronado among other stops. The conference booked Sea World one night and that was pretty cool too. We did stroll the Gaslamp District one night and ate at a very good but pricey Mexican restaurant.

I absolutely love it there! There is also another place to visit as well, Cabrillio National Monument. It is off Point Loma and is very beautiful. Great place for taking pictures and just strolling.

If you want to see the flamboyant side of San Diego, visit Hillcrest. Just don't be surprised at what ya see.

There is also Balboa Park with the many museums. Most of them are free or a small donation to get in. They may still have the music in the park there as well.

If you are curious as to how the neighbors in Mexico live, take the trolly down to the boarder and walk across. Grab a cab or just walk through all the shops. If the nervous type, do this during the day.

SAHRAB

This is fun right?
vraiblonde said:
Where are some fun city tourist/historic areas across the US? Like, in San Antonio they have the Riverwalk. In Austin it's 6th St. In Baltimore you go to Inner Harbor. Alexandria has Old Town. In Columbus there's the Arena District.

What are some other cool places to visit?

Sedona Arizona - The town itself is a tourist trap but go north outside of town and you Have Sliderock (for summer fun) and mountain/forest trails and hiking paths

Flagstaff Arizona

Grand Canyon

Durango/Purgatory Colorado - In the summer the sister towns are still a nice place to visit, good skiing in the winter

Kodiak Island Alaska - spent a summer king crabbing. beautiful WILD country, you wake up in the morning and see 3000lb kodiak bears (cousin to grizzly, but make them look small) out in the streams catching salmon. come in, at night, on the boat loaded down with a few days catch, and have to sit and cry (cuz it was our money) as a walrus (who just got into the boat) ate his fill before he left.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
jwwb2000 said:
I absolutely love it there! There is also another place to visit as well, Cabrillio National Monument. It is off Point Loma and is very beautiful. Great place for taking pictures and just strolling.
I'll have to remember that.

If you want to see the flamboyant side of San Diego, visit Hillcrest. Just don't be surprised at what ya see.
Believe me, after New Orleans, nothing would surprise me. We didn't know it was Gay Pride week down there. :yikes: :lmao:

There is also Balboa Park with the many museums. Most of them are free or a small donation to get in. They may still have the music in the park there as well.
I went through there but didn't get a chance to stop. It was very, very pretty. :yay:

If you are curious as to how the neighbors in Mexico live, take the trolly down to the boarder and walk across. Grab a cab or just walk through all the shops. If the nervous type, do this during the day.
We were going to do that, but there was some commotion with the chief of police down there and a lot of friction between Mexico and the US, so we thought better of it. :lol:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
SAHRAB said:
Sedona Arizona - The town itself is a tourist trap but go north outside of town and you Have Sliderock (for summer fun) and mountain/forest trails and hiking paths

Grand Canyon
I went to Sedona right after I left San Diego. Talk about a change in climate! But it was beautiful and there's so much to do there. My dad lives in Phoenix and it's only a couple of hours or so drive north of there, especially when you're doing about 90. :faint:

We took an all-day guided tour to the Grand Canyon which was absolutely wonderful. We also stopped at an old mining town called Jerome on our way back to Phoenix. I wish I had had more time to spend in the area and hope to go back soon.

L

ladylara

sleuth said:
I dunno... the riverwalk in San Antonio was nice... pretty... but boring. Aside from restaurants, there really wasn't much around it. :ohwell:
go at christmastime. lots of strolling mariachi bands and purdy lights. take a dinner river boat... good time!

and i'll add portland, maine... the "old port". lots of hotels around and great little shops, restaurants and bars. also has the best sushi place i've ever been. $3 Dewey's is a popular hangout, too. http://www.portlandmaine.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

OrneryPest

lower life form
vraiblonde said:
Where are some fun city tourist/historic areas across the US? Like, in San Antonio they have the Riverwalk. In Austin it's 6th St. In Baltimore you go to Inner Harbor. Alexandria has Old Town. In Columbus there's the Arena District.

What are some other cool places to visit?

Cambridge, Massachusetts. Several years ago I spent a week there (attending an industry training class) and I just left my car at the hotel and walked everywhere. It's a terrible driving town and a great walking town. College campuses, book stores, restaurants, museums, historical homes, recreational stuff, you name it, and wide sidewalks on both sides of every street (with about one miserably unfortunate exception). I coulda spent three more weeks and not visited everything.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
sleuth said:
I don't remember the Marketplace and Alamo being within walking distance? :confused:
They are...we walked there when we went (with a three year old, so it's not even a bad walk). We parked at whatever that mall is and walked right out the the Riverwalk. I loved it. So much so that I left Texas swearing that I'd move there. :lmao:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
ptbrien said:
Charleston, SC
Battery
Ghost tours
Slave Market
I'd like to visit Charleston. It's not terribly far from where we live now, it would make a nice little vacation. Can anyone who's been there suggest more "must sees"?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yep....

sleuth said:
I checked out the Marketplace and the Alamo and all around there... Those were great! :yay:

I was referring specifically to the Riverwalk.

I don't remember the Marketplace and Alamo being within walking distance? :confused:

The Alamo is a block off as is the marketplace. It's right there.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Larry Gude said:
The Alamo is a block off as is the marketplace. It's right there.
I guess I just missed it because I went on two separate days.
I hit the Marketplace and then drove to the Alamo one day, then went back to the River Walk the next morning.

Since I was unfamiliar with the city I guess I just didn't realize how close together they were. :ohwell: