towing vehicles

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
I have a 2500 that has a performance chip and special tune from hollyrock customs. I pull a 3h gooseneck. Feels like it's not even there. If you get a smaller truck( 1500/150) you might want to invest in an edge chip. You can get them from trick trucks or whatnot. It really helps with the power and the tranny especially on a diseal. we'd sell our 2500 for 40k.

Also, check out the auction that Bubby Knott is holding at his farm( Flat Iron) I rode up there earlier and there is a f350 dually probably will go for cheap there are also smaller trucks.

Eventer29

Id have never thought about chacking the tires, didnt know they were rated or anything at all, ty for that info. I know dealers will tell ya just about anything, whatever you want to hear. BF was shopping for a truck a couple years ago and the dealers didnt know crap about hauling horses...or anything else i dont think!
Just checking prices and trying to learn a bit right now. Cant afford anything over like $1500 right now and that wont get me much lol. Gonna save up a lil more money. No shows for me :(
Got any info on that auction at Flat Iron?
There is a nice looking truck on the side of the road here locally, 2002 f250 8 ft bed 130something thousand miles...too bad I dont have $6000 laying around! If I could sell some of these horses!!! Not having much luck with that though lol

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
I have a F250 Disel that pulls like a champ. I have a 2 horse gooseneck with a sideload. I have had two horses in there and don't even feel it. For me the F250 is fine. Even if I get a 3h/LQ it probably won't have more than 2 horses back there.

appaholic

:yay: i agree. If the trailer outweighs the towing vehicle, the trailer will push the vehicle, and it will sway, even with a stabilizer bar. Been there done that. No more.

We have all three, an F150, 250 and a 350. I can 'sort of' feel 3 or 4 horses in the F250, but in the F350 have no idea they're back there.

Another caveat...i wouldn't pull a gooseneck with anything other than a dualie. I like having that extra tire should one blow under the goosneck. Oh and NO to a short bed if you're gonna use a g/n. You need the extra wheelbase and bed space.

I hear you about the dualie and tires, I had the trailer loaded this winter (1) injured horses heading to Leesburg (2) BAD Weather (3) AAA and trailer insurer where having BLONDE MOMENTS and could not remember what they were insuring for me therefore could not find me timely assistance with me on 495 during rush hour ... so I said meet me at the hospital and drove on in due to that extra tire, thank goodness. JMO but I will NEVER go to a smaller truck even when fuel was almost $5 a gallon, had to park truck to save money for shows, but the extra benefit I lost 30lbs, and fuel went down (all the better for this years show season!