Toy gun leads to Florida boy's expulsion

A just punishment? Did he deserve it?

• Yes

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • No

Votes: 34 87.2%

• Total voters
Even if you stretched the truth so it applies to the "which a projectile is fired at high velocity" because it used a spring to push a projectile, then you'd have to suspend everyone who had a rubberband, because a rubberband could potentially launch a paperclip at a much higher velocity than this spring toy.

Or drinking straws because they can launch toothpicks (the ones with the feathers work especially well.... :biggrin:)

I never would have made it through 6th grade.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I thought when a child was expelled they were still required to go to school.. and if they can't go to public school (because the school district expelled him) then they (the school board) would be on the hook to pay his tuition to a private school... IF the law requires a 7 year old to be in school.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
How about a little, just a little, even the tiniest bit, of common sense put to use here. If anyone possibly thinks the punishment fits the crime, then I truly feel sorry for you.

The fact that the article referenced Columbine, and used that as an excuse to take the ability of a school board to think before it acts, is just as rediculous.

The kid messed up, sure, he should not have brought it to school, but a blind man/woman could see that there was no danger, and it's not a huge leap to determine that there was no malicious intent.

rediculous? Is that being diculous for a second time??

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
He deserves punishment, but I was thinking a 3-day suspension, not execution by firing squad.
I think three days suspension for bringing an obvious toy to school is harsh. Give him 3 days detention.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
I think three days suspension for bringing an obvious toy to school is harsh. Give him 3 days detention.

Folks, you're missing the point. This is a proto-thug, Latino male carrying a dangerous weapon into a public school. The School Board has a duty to protect the lily-white spawn of the law-abiding populace of Broward County from these thugs. It's the law! :sarcasm:

Cheeky1

Yae warsh wif' wutr
What a load of BS.

A misuse of power and authority. I am coming to understand discipline. Kids may or may not show discipline. However, I expect anyone in a leadership position to exercise discipline. She, the principal, showed none. She defaulted to the government's standards = none.

My speculation, not that it matters - being the principal is her job and that is all she views it as well. Nothing more.

Last edited:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I thought when a child was expelled they were still required to go to school.. and if they can't go to public school (because the school district expelled him) then they (the school board) would be on the hook to pay his tuition to a private school... IF the law requires a 7 year old to be in school.

They told the parents to send him to the "bad kid's school" or whatever sugar coated name they come up with for it lately..and the parents refused. I don't blame them. I wouldn't send my 7 yo to a school full of monsters just cuz he brought a toy to school. Though I wouldn't let him fall behind, like they apparently have.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
zero tolerance rules are there to protect people from subjective rulers. But seeing as how they backfire more often than not...how useful are they really? Bottom line, this kid is 7 years old. Yes, he broke a rule..but how forgetful are 7 year olds? How many times do you have to tell them to do anything at all? He's a little kid who got an extrememly harsh punishment for a pretty small infraction. there should be no problem for any reasonable adult to tell the difference between a real threat and a misplaced toy.

You're somewhat right.

Zero tolerance rules/laws are there for the spinelesss cowardly leaders and managers that can't make a deicison on their own, and who refuse to take responsibility for their own stupid decisions!

"It's not ME, that's not the decision I would make, but the Zero Tolerance rules made ME do it!"

Now people in leadership roles don't have to take the time to learn about a situation or even do a cursory investigation. They just point to whatever "ZERO-TOLERANCE" rule and pass judgement. Being expelled for a toy.. being suspended for Tylenol. You name it, there's a zero tolerance policy somewhere so leaders and bosses don't have to be responsible for their decisions.

Last edited:

Cheeky1

Yae warsh wif' wutr
Now people in leadership roles don't have to take the time to learn about a situation or even do a cursory investigation. They just point to whatever "ZERO-TOLERANCE" rule and pass judgement. Being expelled for a toy.. being suspended for Tylenol. You name it, there's a zero tolerance policy somewhere so leaders and bosses don't have to be responsible for their decisions.

:yay::yeahthat:

Beta84

They're out to get us
Damn...I used to know that school district really well but it seems like there's a new sheriff in town. The previous two superintendents probably wouldn't have pulled this crap, they had common sense.

Here's the kicker...
And, in Broward County, where Samuel lives, school officials have amended their policies this school year and require mandatory expulsion only for possession of a firearm.

If the district acknowledged a flaw in the rule and modified it, then why was the student expelled and why is the student STILL expelled? This is one of the largest school districts in the country. They should know better.