Toyota Key Fob

frequentflier

happy to be living
When starting my husband's Tacoma, I have been getting a warning that they key battery is low. Call me old fashioned but I don't like the "new" push on the brake petal, push a button on the dash and the vehicle starts feature and then push the button to shut it off. (I'm sure there is correct terminology for this) I dislike not putting a put a key in the ignition.
Anyhow...does the battery have to be replaced at the dealership? Am I risking getting stuck someplace because the battery on the key fob dies?
Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
When starting my husband's Tacoma, I have been getting a warning that they key battery is low. Call me old fashioned but I don't like the "new" push on the brake petal, push a button on the dash and the vehicle starts feature and then push the button to shut it off. (I'm sure there is correct terminology for this) I dislike not putting a put a key in the ignition.
Anyhow...does the battery have to be replaced at the dealership? Am I risking getting stuck someplace because the battery on the key fob dies?
Do you have access to the truck user manual?

I had Ace Hardware change mine the first time and watched what they did. I've done my own ever since. You can also YouTube it. It is tricky so getting Auto Zone or the likes to do it is the easiest route. I recommend you take both and get then done at same time since the backup FOB battery probably needs changing too.

If it's like mine, it's pretty easy to change yourself. It's a CR2032 watch battery.

Remove the physical key. Under it there's a slot you stick a flathead screwdriver in to pop the two sides apart. Replace the battery, snap the two sides back together and reinsert the physical key.

Tech

I can read, they're right there on the battery display. Also used for garage door remotes. You tell me BIOS, I'll give you a blank stare.
Standard BIOS battery. If you get a blank stare when asking for a CR2032, ask for a PC BIOS battery and anyone will know.

Clem72

Battery in the key is for door locks and stuff. The chip used for driving is an RFID or similar tech and requires no battery to function. If the battery runs out you should have at least one door with an actual keyhole and the vehicle should still start just fine.

Standard BIOS battery. If you get a blank stare when asking for a CR2032, ask for a PC BIOS battery and anyone will know.
While it has been used for this purpose for decades, pretty sure this has been known as a watch battery far longer.

HemiHauler

Battery in the key is for door locks and stuff. The chip used for driving is an RFID or similar tech and requires no battery to function. If the battery runs out you should have at least one door with an actual keyhole and the vehicle should still start just fine.

While it has been used for this purpose for decades, pretty sure this has been known as a watch battery far longer.
Probably, but I’ve never seen a watch that uses a CR-2032 - hell they are almost the size of many watch faces. LR-44 more common in the watches I’ve owned, at least the quartz ones.

Clem72

Probably, but I’ve never seen a watch that uses a CR-2032 - hell they are almost the size of many watch faces. LR-44 more common in the watches I’ve owned, at least the quartz ones.
It's colloquially known as a "Casio watch coin battery". Maybe you buy nicer watches than I do.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I had Ace Hardware change mine the first time and watched what they did. I've done my own ever since. You can also YouTube it. It is tricky so getting Auto Zone or the likes to do it is the easiest route. I recommend you take both and get then done at same time since the backup FOB battery probably needs changing too.
I wonder if that service went away with the new ownership like so many others. I'm glad I decided the leave when I did. I'm much happier being a Minn Kota technician.