Tragedy/bullying in Schools

PeoplesElbow

When I was in 7th grade I was 12 years old and I was bullied by a fellow 7th grader who happened to be 16 years old. I was still a child and this "kid" was a young man, had muscles, a moustache etc. He beat on me a lot, still it was only one person. With the internet it makes it much more like everyone is piling on, kids that would not do anything in an actual physical bullying situation like I had happen have no problem jumping on and adding to the problems.

"Star Wars Kid" from the late 90's was one of the first examples of posting an unflattering video of a kid on the internet that went viral and really upset this kid.

I saw my bully years later when I was about 21 years old, the difference was he stayed about 5'10" but I had grown to 6'5" at that moment he realized what a mistake he had made almost 10 years earlier.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I have heard this argument too. "BUT... the interwebz!" And I think it is truly garbage.

Back in the day, EVERYONE in the school knew who the bully was picking on. EVERYONE in the school had their opinions on people. They didn't need the internet for that! People actually TALKED TO EACH OTHER!

Do you honestly think that kids from other schools/counties are bussing into the area to bully kids? How exactly is the internet making it worse than it was years ago?

Evidently, the FLOTUS thinks internet bullying is a crisis since she chose it as one of her platforms. Do you recall Rosie making disparaging on line remarks about Barron? It's not just kids that use social media to pick on others.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Evidently, the FLOTUS thinks internet bullying is a crisis since she chose it as one of her platforms. Do you recall Rosie making disparaging on line remarks about Barron? It's not just kids that use social media to pick on others.

Evidently they are still living "back in the day". People, particularly young people, like to use the relative anonymity of the internet to "attack" people. As an adult we are more immune to stupid crap people say, but kids are more sensitive to what their peers think.
As long as adults keep thinking "back in the day", the problem won't be addressed.

That doesn't mean that physical abuse doesn't exist. The politically correct state of Maryland is at fault for the "no fault" fight punishment.
It's not a joke, or myth, if your child is jumped in school, they too will be disciplined the same as the others. The schools don't won't to be accused of prejudice when it comes to handing out punishment. In fact, they don't want to hand out punishment because it makes their statistics look bad. Talk about the legal system being a revolving door, in some cases the teachers are told to not even send a chronic offender to the office because it's pointless.

But I think parents should be aware of what their children are doing online. They should be aware of how their children speak about their peers. As I said, free speech, is not a blank check to disparage and smear another.

glhs837

Power with Control
You bring up a good point. My school had sissified bullies who picked on weaker kids because they could and wouldn't dare take on their equal. A good shot in the head usually settled them down. But hardcore bullies won't hesitate to #### you up, or even kill you.

Kwillia brought up a point that I was trying to avoid but there it is. The black kids are many times the tormentors, and nothing happens to them because RACISM!!! If the bullying allegations are true, the parents of this kid who killed himself need to get a good lawyer and press charges against the school for allowing this to happen. They bust back some kid who writes a violent short story in creative writing class, but then let some psychotic kid run rampant because he's black and they are "racially sensitive".

They need to knock that crap off and treat everyone equal, regardless of race, and the only way they'll do it is if parents put pressure on them and hit them where it hurts - the budget. They go on and on about "zero tolerance" but clearly they do not know what that means.

http://www.somdnews.com/enterprise/...cle_845ef6bc-199a-587f-a599-f185d41548c0.html

Of course, it's login, but you can guess the rest....

BernieP

Resident PIA

Just so she doesn't have to guess...

St. Mary's minority students disproportionately suspended
By JACQUI ATKIELSKI jatkielski@somdnews.com Mar 1, 2017
Students of color, low income and disabilities are disproportionately suspended for disrespect and disruption at St. Mary’s public schools, compared to their white peers, according to data presented at a recent NAACP meeting.

“We know the suspensions are not working,” Charles Ridgell, director of student services,

It's not about behavior, it's about statistics.
This is the stuff they put on the principal, who in turn has to pass along some odious rules to the staff and teachers.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Up to the cutoff:

“We know the suspensions are not working,” Charles Ridgell, director of student services, said at the Feb. 23 NAACP St. Mary’s branch meeting held at the Lexington Park library. “It gives the students a nice vacation and in many cases but it doesn’t always solve their behavior. Many times they are more challenging.” St. Mary’s rate of suspension is “not drastically different” from the national rates, he said.

Suspension should be a two-fold deal: not only punish the kid, but get him out of the way so the other kids can learn, not dread coming to school and having to deal with this person. So Mr. Ridgell, suspensions DO work, depending on what result you're looking for. If you use suspension to raise someone else's kid, you're right - they don't work. But if you use them to facilitate a learning environment for the rest of the student population, they work perfectly.

What is with these people that we are allowing to educate our children and run our schools?? The correct answer to NAACP tards who want to bitch about black kids getting in trouble is, "Then tell little Sh*theadica to stop being an ahole."

Duh.

black dog

Free America
But I think parents should be aware of what their children are doing online. They should be aware of how their children speak about their peers. As I said, free speech, is not a blank check to disparage and smear another.

.Parents and kids are no different now than when we grew up, kids can be nice and they can be mean. Online or in person the pile on's and bullying will always happen.
Some parents monitor and some don't and other parents couldn't care less what their kids do.

If you want to see how yours and other kids really are, load up Call to Duty on Xbox live and listen and view your kid and their friends from a neighbors house. It's a brutal awakening to most.
Be a fly on the wall of your kids school bus one day.
The world is a tough place. We will always have bully's, some kids will take it and some will fight back, and and sad as it is kids will always commit suicide.

black dog

Free America
Up to the cutoff:

“We know the suspensions are not working,” Charles Ridgell, director of student services, said at the Feb. 23 NAACP St. Mary’s branch meeting held at the Lexington Park library. “It gives the students a nice vacation and in many cases but it doesn’t always solve their behavior. Many times they are more challenging.” St. Mary’s rate of suspension is “not drastically different” from the national rates, he said.

Suspension should be a two-fold deal: not only punish the kid, but get him out of the way so the other kids can learn, not dread coming to school and having to deal with this person. So Mr. Ridgell, suspensions DO work, depending on what result you're looking for. If you use suspension to raise someone else's kid, you're right - they don't work. But if you use them to facilitate a learning environment for the rest of the student population, they work perfectly.

What is with these people that we are allowing to educate our children and run our schools?? The correct answer to NAACP tards who want to bitch about black kids getting in trouble is, "Then tell little Sh*theadica to stop being an ahole."

Duh.

I wonder what expulsion and dropout / graduation rates would be in St Mary's Co if Great Mills HS was left out of the numbers.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
A girl at Patuxent HS was beat up in the lunchroom while she sat at a table. She could not defend herself and the beating was so bad that she later had a seizure. I asked my son if he witness it and he said he saw the video. It is disheartening that kids would rather video a girl getting beaten than try to help her. :ohwell:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Up to the cutoff:

Duh.
Maybe if they took the vacation out of the suspension. Road or park cleanup, juvenile detention center, maybe even just digging ditches one day and filling it in the next day, anything to make the punishment a punishment and not recreation.

BernieP

Resident PIA
A girl at Patuxent HS was beat up in the lunchroom while she sat at a table. She could not defend herself and the beating was so bad that she later had a seizure. I asked my son if he witness it and he said he saw the video. It is disheartening that kids would rather video a girl getting beaten than try to help her. :ohwell:

and what, get suspended for doing so?

Agree, it's sad that a good portion can't stand up and do the right thing.

Restitution

Its not limited to "kids" (depending on what age you stop referring to them as kids)

I remember reading a story about a college professor who had a heart attack during a lecture while on stage. There were 2 YouTube videos uploaded of the incident before medical help arrived on scene. THAT is pathetic!

BernieP

Resident PIA
Maybe if they took the vacation out of the suspension. Road or park cleanup, juvenile detention center, maybe even just digging ditches one day and filling it in the next day, anything to make the punishment a punishment and not recreation.

well all that would be against the law, if they are convicted of a crime maybe the judge could order it as part of the sentence.
The best the school can do is a temporary timeout or a permanent timeout (suspension or expulsion)
But that might be what they were looking for.
Let's talk about why the school system is so tied in a knot over the race of the offender.
The state of Maryland looks at those statistics, everything is spun on race and economic status. If a school system does not match all their schools to the county averages the state will come a calling to find out why and will with hold funding.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
well all that would be against the law, if they are convicted of a crime maybe the judge could order it as part of the sentence.
The best the school can do is a temporary timeout or a permanent timeout (suspension or expulsion)
But that might be what they were looking for.
Let's talk about why the school system is so tied in a knot over the race of the offender.
The state of Maryland looks at those statistics, everything is spun on race and economic status. If a school system does not match all their schools to the county averages the state will come a calling to find out why and will with hold funding.

So change the laws, it's not like doing nothing is working that well.

vince77

some unsolicited advice. My wife was a teacher in SoMd for more than twenty years. I had 3 kids that did K-12 in the system. If your child is hit, struck, physically assaulted do not, I repeat, do not, get the school system involved, go straight to the police. Assault is a crime, school administrators don't enforce the law, they defend policy. You and your child's best interests are secondary.

3CATSAILOR

Need to implement a 3 strikes rule. Your kid gets punished for bullying... 1st offense is detention. 2nd offense is suspension. 3rd offense is expulsion. PERIOD!

I was on a Safety & Security Committee for the Board of Education for last 20 years. In that 20 years, they did not increase discipline in schools. They decreased it. In fact, I was on a special subcommittee that was formed directly after a major incident at Great Mills High School when one student nearly killed another. I thought they were going to "increase" the methods to discipline out of control students to help the teachers. Instead, they decreased it. What shame.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I was on a Safety & Security Committee for the Board of Education for last 20 years. In that 20 years, they did not increase discipline in schools. They decreased it. In fact, I was on a special subcommittee that was formed directly after a major incident at Great Mills High School when one student nearly killed another. I thought they were going to "increase" the methods to discipline out of control students to help the teachers. Instead, they decreased it. What shame.

If parents continue to tolerate it, this is what it will be. I guarantee you that if parents converged on the school board and lit their asses, changes would be made. Unfortunately there aren't enough parents who give a damn.