Tragic air show crash

WingsOfGold

2 Planes Crash Mid-Air During Air Show at Dallas Executive Airport​

This is horrible not only for loss of life but vintage aircraft which there are few. I saw footage and the P61 literally flew into the Forts ass. WTF was he thinking?????

limblips

PREMO Member

2 Planes Crash Mid-Air During Air Show at Dallas Executive Airport​

This is horrible not only for loss of life but vintage aircraft which there are few. I saw footage and the P61 literally flew into the Forts ass. WTF was he thinking?????
Some reports say the B-17 flew into the P-61's flight path. It is entirely possible that the P-61 pilot believed his airspace was clear and was looking outside the cockpit at his marks when the B-17 flew through. So many possibilities, I'll wait until the FAA report.

WingsOfGold

Some reports say the B-17 flew into the P-61's flight path. It is entirely possible that the P-61 pilot believed his airspace was clear and was looking outside the cockpit at his marks when the B-17 flew through. So many possibilities, I'll wait until the FAA report.
Brief clip I saw was the 17 was going straight and possibly climbing. The fighter was climbing like a bat out of hell and flew right into the 17. Not knowing but from what I saw he was looking to be a hot shot showing off. Again the 17 was on a straight course and had no idea what hit him. The fighter disintegrated on impact and the 17 broke in two at the base of the trailing edge in flames and fell to the earth in a fireball.
It was obviously all VFR, the P was at fault even if the 17 was in his airspace which I doubt.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Smaller plane was a Bell P-63 King Cobra according to the news footage.
Unknown how many aboard the 2 aircraft.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
well from the video the 17 appears to be flying straight and level the 63 was doing maneuvers of some sort

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
The images of the Ramstein air show crash are seared in my conscious mind. I had just gotten back from being stationed overseas and saw a similar show with the flying team that caused the crash. I remember watching with an older servicemember. He noted how the Italian pilots had a lot more balls because they were doing a lot of very daring maneuvers compared to the other teams. Sometimes when you push that envelope, you get cut by the bleeding edge.

Hijinx

Guy looks to me like he deliberately rammed the bigger plane.

Probably didn't , but was definitely doing something stupid.

glhs837

Power with Control
well from the video the 17 appears to be flying straight and level the 63 was doing maneuvers of some sort

What are the odds that it hit so perfectly that it caused the two major structures of the 17 to split so cleanly. Wings stayed together with engines, and the entire fuselage did also.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
What are the odds that it hit so perfectly that it caused the two major structures of the 17 to split so cleanly. Wings stayed together with engines, and the entire fuselage did also.

to me the hit looks right though the area between the waist gun points and the ball turret and the radio compartment .. a hit right thought the center with the mass of the P-63 and the prop ... a near miss could shred this area

the weight of the P-63 is aprox 6500 lbs to 10k max take off weight [ which I seriously doubt they would be flying at.] moving along at several 100 mph ... the prop acts as a drill

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress and a Bell P-63 Kingcobra collided in midair during an airshow in Dallas