Trail Riding in Maryland

kmbetit

K Betit
A friend and I are looking to go trail riding tomorrow, but are looking for recommendations as to where we should go. We want something that has real trails, not just dirt roads. We've been to Greenwell and St. Mary's River St. Park, and would like something different. And we'd like to stay within two hours of Calvert County. Any suggestions?

Woodyspda

I'm sure Patapsco has plenty of what you are looking for.

google it along with Mountain biking and you should get a few good hits.

CountryLady

luvmyponies
A friend and I are looking to go trail riding tomorrow, but are looking for recommendations as to where we should go. We want something that has real trails, not just dirt roads. We've been to Greenwell and St. Mary's River St. Park, and would like something different. And we'd like to stay within two hours of Calvert County. Any suggestions?

Rosaryville state park
Rosaryville State Park & Mt. Airy Mansion

Cedarville state forrest
Cedarville State Forest

CountryLady

luvmyponies

Here is a link for MD State parks broken up by region.
Map of Maryland's Parks and Forests

However you cannot go horseback riding at all of them.
Some of the parks have maps online which is nice.

CountryLady

luvmyponies

League of Maryland is also a nice place to ride.
League of Maryland Horsemen - LOMH Homepage

OTHER GOOD SOURCES
SOME OF THE LOCAL RIDING CLUBS:

Chesapeake Plantation Walking Horse clubs
Chesapeake Plantation Walking Horse Club

Plantation Walking Horses of Maryland
Welcome to the Plantation Walking Horse Club of Maryland's Web Page

Trail Riders of Today
TROT - Trail Riders of Today - Home Page

Southern Maryland Trail Riders
Welcome to SMTR's Homepage

Tuckahoe Equestrian Center
Tuckahoe Equestrian Center Home Page

Maryland Horse Council Trails & Greenways Committee
Maryland Trail Riding Clubs

HAPPY TRAILS :yahoo:

kmbetit

K Betit
My friends horse does the Cowboy challenges up at Graves Mountain, mine does XC. So we'd like to go somewhere with river crossings, etc. Something to keep advanced riders interested. I will look into those! Thank you so much for all the suggestions!!!

kmbetit

K Betit
excellent. I think we are going to go up to Rosaryville. I've been there for XC schooling but never to trail ride. Has anyone else gone during the week? It says something about limited access on the website.

ElliesMom

My friend and I just did the 8 mile loop the other day (big feat for us) at a jog it is challenging. Parking during the week can be diffivcult if they dont open the main gait, but parking is 'ample enough'. My friend drives a beast of a truck w/ a 3 horse slant and she can do it.

Watch out for mountain bikers they are prolific, but on the whole very congenial and yeild right of way. There are also some blind spots on the trails too.

I love that park. the St. Jude ride will be there this sunday too.

If you go up during the week let me know, always looking for weekday riders to buddy up to. I can match up to almost any style of riding.

CountryLady

luvmyponies
excellent. I think we are going to go up to Rosaryville. I've been there for XC schooling but never to trail ride. Has anyone else gone during the week? It says something about limited access on the website.

Let us know how you liked it. We will be going on Sunday with SMTR. Its always good fun.:yahoo:

kmbetit

K Betit
I wish I had read this this morning. I would have invited you! The trail riding was EXCELLENT. Still nice and cool in the woods, and the footing is good. It was challenging enough to keep us interested but the trails were cut well enough that we could relax. The only trouble we had was finding where to park, and where to get the horses water. The trails weren't marked very well (it was obvious that they were trails, just not obvious as to where they were going), and a couple of times we ended up in a field with no visible trail anywhere in sight. It would have been helpful if we had looked at the map. But it was tons of fun! Thanks for all the suggestions!! We plan to try a few others out this summer.:yahoo: