Travel Trailer State Inspections

Natron0915

Help! I recently purchased a used pop-up camper from a friend and need to have it inspected in order to register and title.

I've scoured google for help but didn't have any luck, so I'm giving the forums a shot.

1. Are there any local (somd) authorized inspection stations, and was your experience a positive one?

2. How do you (legally) tow the camper to the inspection station if it's not registered?

TIA for all your help.

SoMDGirl42

Help! I recently purchased a used pop-up camper from a friend and need to have it inspected in order to register and title.

I've scoured google for help but didn't have any luck, so I'm giving the forums a shot.

1. Are there any local (somd) authorized inspection stations, and was your experience a positive one?

2. How do you (legally) tow the camper to the inspection station if it's not registered?

TIA for all your help.

I would assume to would go to MVA and get a temporary inspection tag like you do a vehicle to take it to/from the inspection station.

I don't know if they have special inspection stations for trailers etc, but I would think you could call one of the many around here and ask them.

What would they need to inspect special on a pop up? I'm sure they are looking for lights, brake lights, blinkers, brakes, tires, etc. like they do on cars/trucks. :shrug:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I got my 18 foot Car Trailer inspected in Waldorf some yrs ago

The Hitch Man ????

1badsilverado

1badsilverado
I've used Hewitt's before myself. Went though with no problems. They just told me to repack the wheel bearings. I would go to them again. They are by the bowling alley.

ginwoman

There is a place up on 301 in Newburg that did ours several years ago. Don't know where you are located. Basically they just checked the brakes or something underneath the camper. Took about 1 minute.

Natron0915

I would assume to would go to MVA and get a temporary inspection tag like you do a vehicle to take it to/from the inspection station.

I don't know if they have special inspection stations for trailers etc, but I would think you could call one of the many around here and ask them.

What would they need to inspect special on a pop up? I'm sure they are looking for lights, brake lights, blinkers, brakes, tires, etc. like they do on cars/trucks. :shrug:

Ok, guess I'll head to Loveville Monday morning. Thanks!

As for what they inspect, you're guess is as good as mine, but I think you're on the right track.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
You can get a 30 day temporary registration to tow the trailer to and from repair and/or inspection facilities and your home, I think its $20.

As to what they should inspect search "COMAR 11.14.05" it gives the information but basically its the hitch/coupling device, suspension/alignment, brakes, tires and wheels, the frame, wheel protection flaps, fenders, lighting, and electrical system.

Natron0915

well, at least they were honest about it.

Yup. They referred me to the Mr. Tire and when I called them, they said yes, we do trailers...but not if there are propane tanks and lines...

Called Hewitt's like recommended and they were super helpful. Going there tommorrow afternoon for inspection.

Thanks to all.