Trench Rescue

cgwife

Off Sollars Wharf Road. Patient fell in in 15 foot trench, he is consience but has a compund fracture (didn't quite hear where the fracture is). PG County and possibly Pax River are in route with their confined space and collapse rescue teams.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Off Sollars Wharf Road. Patient fell in in 15 foot trench, he is consience but has a compund fracture (didn't quite hear where the fracture is). PG County and possibly Pax River are in route with their confined space and collapse rescue teams.

None of the volunteer units around here are set up/trained for these types of rescues I take it?

cgwife

Sure doesn't sound like it........hopefully the units/teams needed will get here quickly as I am sure this person is in alot of pain. They are calling for Helo now.......

cgwife

Patient is out of the hole, cancelling all units from PG, DC and Pax River. Not sure how they got him out but they did. Helo is on its way.....

ImnoMensa

I would bet some brave soul went in the hole and got him out.

Thats what you do when you are a rescue worker. You look at the risk and judge your chances of getting away with it, then you do it.

RPMDAD

Weird reading this . i just read about a trench collapse that killed 4 people almost happened to me when i when i was much younger....

3 die in Neb. trench collapse trying to save 4th

Deja - Vu
Had a similar accident years ago when i was younger 16 - 17 years old working as a plumber's apprentice at a construction site. Backhoe operator had a trench dug probably about 7 ft deep, i am 6 ft 1 was even then we were running sewrer pipe if if i remember being the young buck and it was basically all grunt work, i was the trench guy. Wasn't really a big deal; and then one morning i am in the trench alone, now think about iy 7 ft. trench , i wwas about 6 foot, but all the trench dirt is piled up above the trench. while i was in the trench due to rain, moisture whatever, the soil above it strated sliding in slowly. at first didn't think that much about it, and the suddenly gavi in quickly and i was waste deep with more coming in on me. The journeyman plumbers were trying to reach me from the top and were in danger of sliding in. Luckily for me the backhoe guy was there and dipped his bucket down and i grabbed it and he pulled me out of it to the point the other guys could grab me and pull me to safety.
I am an old fart and this happened back in the late 60's, to this day i am thankfull to that backhoe operator. But i had no doubt the guys that i was working with would have jumped in to save me . A flash from the past. In the 60's OSHA wasn't that strong. Accidents happen everywhere,anytime , anyhow when the work involved could be dangerous...........

keepsmiling

This accident happened where they are putting in the gas lines for Cove Point LNG>

I am a little worried because this is the third accident within the last week over there. First one was a broken leg. Yesterday it was a man working on the lines was hit in the head by a bob cat and once the ambulance crew got him in the ambulance he went into seizures, and now this. I just wonder why so many accidents?

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
This accident happened where they are putting in the gas lines for Cove Point LNG>

I am a little worried because this is the third accident within the last week over there. First one was a broken leg. Yesterday it was a man working on the lines was hit in the head by a bob cat and once the ambulance crew got him in the ambulance he went into seizures, and now this. I just wonder why so many accidents?

I am betting Dominion is S'ing themselves if that is the case. I know they are contracted but that is still on them in part I'd bet.

Here comes OSHA.

TheOne

I would bet some brave soul went in the hole and got him out.

Thats what you do when you are a rescue worker. You look at the risk and judge your chances of getting away with it, then you do it.
No, that is not how a rescue worker does it.

sparkysgirl

Then lets hear the story on how he got out.

I think he meant that is not how a rescue worker thinks. They think "What is the safest and best way to get this pt out that will not jeopardize my safety and let me go home to my family"

By the way, they got him out by getting ladders situated (which was difficult due to the extremely soft ground), strapping him into a stokes basket and using a bulldozer to pull him up the ladder like a ramp.

(This is how it was explained to me by a member on scene, details might not be 100% but this is the just of it)