Trespassing on For Sale Property?

Trespasses on Property For Sale?

• Yes

Votes: 30 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 28.6%

• Total voters

TurboK9

If I go onto your property and you're there and I peak in the window and you're naked, and I stare a while, you'll be arrested for indecent exposure:evil:

But would giving him 3 hots and a cot be worth risking permenant blindness?

MMDad

Lem Putt
If the property is not posted with a no trespassing sign and the person has not been notified that they are not welcome on the property, it is not trespassing.

But it is rude, and it could get you shot.

H

HouseCat

I think it depends on the property and if signs are posted. Some folks who are trying to sell their house want you to look around. (Not walk inside obviously.) Manners and common sense come in to play here, like others mentioned. Of course, if someone is home, ask permission. If not, I don't see how taking a quick peek in the back yard is rude myself. But that depends on the property.
If its in a gated community, high dollar real estate, monitoring equip installed, fenced, nosy neighbors...then NO... make an appointment. If its out in the woods or country, and a soul isn't in sight.. I'd take a peek. If you have doubts, then call the number on the For Sale sign just to be safe. Never know who is chillin' on the back porch shooting squirrels. Hehe

awpitt

Main Streeter
When I was going to buy, the real estate agent printed a list of many, many houses. She told us to take a drive by and see if we wanted to look further or cross it off the list. That's how we started. We eliminated over 1/2 the list just by driving by. A few of the houses were unoccupied and we did get out and take a longer look. Some we chose to do walk thrus, some not. I think it saved the real estate agent alot of wasted time going to houses we weren't interested in seeing, even from a just a driveby.

I think the operative word here is occupied. No, I don't think you should do a look around when the house is occupied.

Driving by is never a problem. You're on the road and not on the property.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
When you're burning in hell, Sir, and wondering what you did to deserve the extra large demon with the extra pointy flaming spear, remember this moment.

:lol:

If the house is occupied, you are not to go poking around - it is in fact trespassing. If the house is unoccupied, there's no harm in walking around or peeking in the windows.

Tell your FIL that we said he's a rude snoop and he is to stop it immediately or suffer our wrath.

awpitt

Main Streeter
:lol:

If the house is occupied, you are not to go poking around - it is in fact trespassing. If the house is unoccupied, there's no harm in walking around or peeking in the windows.

Tell your FIL that we said he's a rude snoop and he is to stop it immediately or suffer our wrath.

Actually, if you enter the property, other than walking up to knock on the front door, it is trespassing. If no one comes to the door, you must leave the property.

Now, in reality, if you poke around a bit, there's normally no harm done, unless a [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']neighbor [/FONT]calls the police or something like that because it is trespassing.

A for sale sign is not an open invitation for the public to enter the property. That's what the listing agent is for, so one can call and arrange a showing of the property. In the case of a FSBO, the owner must be called to make arrangements.

Cowgirl

What if you remember the key code for the house you have under contract (house is unoccupied) and you enter the house to show it to visiting out of town family members? :whistle: Hypothetically, of course.

awpitt

Main Streeter
What if you remember the key code for the house you have under contract (house is unoccupied) and you enter the house to show it to visiting out of town family members? :whistle: Hypothetically, of course.

Big no no. Even if you have a contract on the house. If you want to show family, you need to call your Realtor.

Hypothetically, of course.

somdshootnet

Regardless if the property is for sale, it is owned by someone, and if that someone ain't you, it's trespassing to me.