Triple Bypass - advice for "caregiver"

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
My Mom will be getting Triple Bypass done at WHC on Tuesday. She came down here from NY to get the surgery because she'll be recovering at my house and we felt it would be easier/less heartbreaking than me going to NY and leaving my 2 year old for a week or two. This way, I can go visit her each day while she's still at WHC and still be with my little man each night. Plus it's a great hospital for this type of procedure.

Anyway......I'm a little nervous about what to expect after she comes home. I guess what I'm looking for is a little advice on how to help her as she recovers. I know some of you have been through this. In doing a little research, it seems she may be most comfortable sleeping in a recliner for a little while and I'll need to encourage her to walk, not just rest. Of course I know we'll get some info at discharge as well. She's been dealing with Lupus for 40 years, she's beat cancer, now this. Never ends. :cds:

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
:huggy:

Is there anything that I can do for you?

Just pray all goes well. Just lost my Dad 2 years ago and I can't go through it again. She's only 60. Smoking like a chimney really took it's toll, ugh. Thanks for the hug!

Ps - how's the house?

red_explorer

hang in there

Long recovery....its about 6 to 8 weeks, and then she wants to do rehab. Also, she will probably go through depression about two weeks later.

animalluvr4life

animal luvr
Just pray all goes well. Just lost my Dad 2 years ago and I can't go through it again. She's only 60. Smoking like a chimney really took it's toll, ugh. Thanks for the hug!

Ps - how's the house?

daylily i sent you a private message with some helpful info that my grandfather went through with his quadruple bypass. it might help you some. :).. if you need any more help i can ask my grandpa questions and get you answers if you would like me to?

dachsom

Just remember the most important thing---take care of yourself. Make sure you rest when you can, even if it is only for a short time. Make sure to eat too. I know how busy and tired you can get being a caregiver. I cared for my dad when he was very ill and my biggest mistake was not taking that break to rest when it was offered to me. I had to do it all (or so I thought).:huggy:

quailridge

My husband (56) had quadruple bypass surgery at WHC about a year and a half ago. He got excellent care at the hospital so be glad she is going to such a wonderful place for the procedure. When he came home the biggest thing he needed was rest....and then walk and rest....and then walk, etc. The walking really benefited him in his recovery because it helped him rebuild his stamina. They will give your mother an apparatus for her to blow into to help build her lung capacity. If you are she has any questions, be sure to ask the nurses who we found to be very helpful and informative. Good luck to your mother and she is lucky to have you to help her out!

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Just remember the most important thing---take care of yourself. Make sure you rest when you can, even if it is only for a short time. Make sure to eat too. I know how busy and tired you can get being a caregiver. I cared for my dad when he was very ill and my biggest mistake was not taking that break to rest when it was offered to me. I had to do it all (or so I thought).:huggy:

:yeahthat:

My husband (56) had quadruple bypass surgery at WHC about a year and a half ago. He got excellent care at the hospital so be glad she is going to such a wonderful place for the procedure. When he came home the biggest thing he needed was rest....and then walk and rest....and then walk, etc. The walking really benefited him in his recovery because it helped him rebuild his stamina. They will give your mother an apparatus for her to blow into to help build her lung capacity. If you are she has any questions, be sure to ask the nurses who we found to be very helpful and informative. Good luck to your mother and she is lucky to have you to help her out!

:yeahthat:

My Dad also had this surgery (although he was in PA and a bit older). I remember that he had the lung thing and also had to hold a pillow against his chest to cough the first few days. The walking was a big part. The hospital will give you discharge and aftercare instructions to follow and phone numbers to call if you have questions. Don't be afraid to call for anything, no matter how silly you think the question might be. Keep us posted and let us all know if you need anything. Sending many prayers your way! Hang in there! Washington Hospital Center is one of the best for heart issues and has been for ages so they really know what they are doing. Your Mom will be in good hands and will feel so much better when her recovery is all over.

:huggy:

Kat_Hunter

My Mom will be getting Triple Bypass done at WHC on Tuesday. She came down here from NY to get the surgery because she'll be recovering at my house and we felt it would be easier/less heartbreaking than me going to NY and leaving my 2 year old for a week or two. This way, I can go visit her each day while she's still at WHC and still be with my little man each night. Plus it's a great hospital for this type of procedure.

Anyway......I'm a little nervous about what to expect after she comes home. I guess what I'm looking for is a little advice on how to help her as she recovers. I know some of you have been through this. In doing a little research, it seems she may be most comfortable sleeping in a recliner for a little while and I'll need to encourage her to walk, not just rest. Of course I know we'll get some info at discharge as well. She's been dealing with Lupus for 40 years, she's beat cancer, now this. Never ends. :cds:

I would go and talk to the hospital NOW about what to expect. (NOW might be too late) All of them have support services for the families, and will teach you what to do, what to expect, how best to help your mother.
WHC is a great facility, but YOU need to go NOW and get that info ASAP.
Be prepared to see you mother hooked up to all sorts of lines, tubes, suction stuff, and recorders..all very scary if you dont know what is going on.
Make sure you house is safe for her..no toys around, rugs to slip on, shower chair to use for bathing, bed pans, pee/bed pads, there is a lot more than just coming on here and asking for info 48 hours before her operation!

Good luck..

PsyOps

Pixelated
My dad had triple bypass, a valve repair, and muscle reconstruction. I think the best thing you can do for your mom is get her into rehab right away. Physical and occupational therapists know exactly what she will need to recover quickly. My dad refused to do this and he paid the price. His health never got much better after that, was in and out of the hospital, and died 5 years later.

You’re mom is going to get the best care at WHC. Dachsom is right… take care of yourself. I wish your mom and you the best. Keep us posted.

Freefaller

I'm still recovering

I just had quadruple bypass surgery at the end of January. I'm still recovering although I am back at work. I am also in the middle of my Rehab program. Fell free to PM me here. I will answer any questions I can and offer whatever insite I can. Feel free to ask questions and PM me if you'd like.

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
Thanks so much, everyone, for the replies. We're up here for Mom's pre-op and tomorrow is the surgery. Thoughts and prayers appreciated.

bcp

In My Opinion
Recovery is hard.

My dad had a quadruple bypass surgery at WHC when he was 63, He will be turning 80 this June. WHC is most likely one of the best at doing this, they wouldnt attempt if they didnt think she was in good enough shape to go through it.

Recovery was about 6 weeks. the first two were a living hell for him.

I also understand that in some cases they dont open the whole chest anymore.

at any rate. Praying for your family.

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
Recovery is hard.

My dad had a quadruple bypass surgery at WHC when he was 63, He will be turning 80 this June. WHC is most likely one of the best at doing this, they wouldnt attempt if they didnt think she was in good enough shape to go through it.

Recovery was about 6 weeks. the first two were a living hell for him.

I also understand that in some cases they dont open the whole chest anymore.

at any rate. Praying for your family.

Thanks. Luckily her heart is in good shape. Her arteries are shot.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
"hug me" pillow..the best one is one of the hospital blankets folded and taped.."real" pillows are too soft. They splint the incision when getting up, coughing, having a bm etc...it can feel like the incision is opening without it, it won't..but it feels that way.

keep her moving. It will hurt, and it will suck, but movement prevents blood clots, which suck more. best thing I did with my patients is to make a sort of schedule out with the pain med schedule..bath about 30-40 min or so after morning pain meds (hygiene tends to slip, its important, makes you feel better and keeps the risk of infection down) a good "walk about" about 30 -40 min after after noon pain meds etc. Keep the pain meds on schedule. Many patients hate taking them, or don't feel a lot of pain so they skip a dose..don't let her do it..gettting pain to stay down is far easier than trying to bring it down once it builds.They may send her home with TEDS (stockings) those should come off for a break every 8 hours or so for about 30 min..bath time is a good time.... keep good nutrition up... pain, pain meds, and general discomfort make a lot of the older folks stop eating, push good food...more strength equals faster healing. Ensure can help if food is a problem. try to get her to do as much as possible for herself and keep on the lookout for fever, pain in the calves, and any draining/redness/heat from the site.

Modern medicine amazes me, I am sure she will recover in no time. Until then good luck, and follow the advice the doc/nurses give you both :buddies:

PsyOps

Pixelated
... and follow the advice the doc/nurses give you both :buddies:

I would add to this to be THE listener. You mom will be quite incoherent after the surgery due to the effects of the anesthesia; which could last a while. And she may not remember a lot that happens in the hospital.

acommondisaster

Hi - I'm a female who had double bypass surgery at WHC at age 44 (90 pct blockage in 2 arteries). To begin, WHC was a wonderful experience. Everyone there was extremely caring and competent from beginning to end. At that time, a private room cost me an extra $10 - go that route if you can. I can honestly say I don't have one single complaint about WHC - other than the drive there and back.

Although your mom's older than I was when I had my bypass, I can tell you they're very aggressive about getting patients up and around quickly. I was operated on on a Thursday afternoon (late) and they were ready to discharge me on Sunday. I asked to stay another day, as I wanted a full night without oxygen so I'd know how I felt and wouldn't freak out once I was at home, wondering if everything was the way it was supposed to be. I was the youngest person on the ward, but all the seniors were also up walking around as soon as they got the tube out of their chest, too. The drive home was horrific. I'd recommend making sure she's fresh on pain meds when you leave WHC and if you can avoid rush hour, do that. Take along a pillow or two for her in the car as well.

Once home - I can only tell you from my own experience - I slept in spurts. The recliner is a Godsend. I didn't sleep in a bed for what seemed like a long time. I also didn't sleep well - the doctor gave me Ambien for about a week, but other bypass vets have told me they had the same trouble sleeping. I don't think they give the hug pillow anymore - there's a little vest with handles in the front that you squeeze. You walk around looking like a parachutist. ;)

From my own experience, there was NO depression, at any point. I was so FRACKING happy to be alive and, despite the pain of surgery, I felt better than I had in months. I was fortunate that they didn't have to use an artery from my leg, but used a mammory(?) artery instead. Most bypass vets I know say that the worst pain they have from the entire experience is in their leg where they farmed the artery used in the bypass. I did feel a little numbness on the left side of my chest from time to time for months afterwards, but nothing to complain about at all.

As someone else said here, walk, walk, walk. It's so important to recovery to get up and get around. Do the breathing exercises. And walk some more. It may help her sleep better at night, too, if she's getting a lot of walking in.

The weird stuff was the creaking and clicking I'd hear in my chest as it healed. Your mom will be given instructions not to ride in the front seat of a car for about 4 or 6 weeks (the airbag would kill her if it deployed). And I couldn't drive for 6 weeks (the surgeon upped it from 4 because he found out I had a miata). I can still tell if there's a storm front about to come through, my breastbone will ache. So your mom may be useful as accuweather ;)

My insurance provided a nurse who called me occasionally to see how things were going once I got home. She was very helpful in telling me what was normal, making suggestions, and just making me feel like everything was going to be good again. I hope that this is provided for your mom, and if it is, please have her take advantage of the good advice and professional ear that this sort of person lends.

Recovery is slow, but a positive attitude really helps. I was back to work at 6 weeks, not 100 percent, but work was very understanding and I needed to be out of the house at that point. Having a grandchild around to keep her mind off all she's been through should help (but be sure your mom gets some quiet time, too). My bypass was totally unexpected (emergency as soon as they could find a surgeon/OR) and I felt like the whole world had changed for me. The only way I can describe it, it was the same "omg" feeling as we all got when we looked back on the buildings crumbling after 911. Knew it happened, hard to wrap your head around the idea. Hope that makes sense.

Please let us know how your mom is doing, I'll keep her in my thoughts as she goes in for surgery. Let her know that she's going to feel so much better, and that she's in very good hands at WHC. You're a good daughter, to try to get prepared for your mom's recovery. :)