Triple Bypass - advice for "caregiver"

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
Thank you so much for the thoughts and prayers. Mom's surgery went really well yesterday. Quadruple bypass, ugh, but she made it through and actually looked a little better than I had anticipated when we got to see her around 5pm. She was still asleep and woke on her own around 11pm last night. They've gotten the breathing tube out and are slowly getting some of the other tubes out.

She's still a little "out of it", nurse just told me that sometimes she realizes she's in the hospital but sometimes she thinks she's at a restaurant or a military base (huh, lol). But she's doing well and will be transferred to a room sometime this morning when a bed becomes available. I requested a private room as acommondisaster recommended, I think the extra $10-$15 a day will be well worth it for her. I'll be headed up there in a little while, can't wait to see her. I held it together pretty well yesterday, even when hubby & I went to see her after the surgery, but I guess the entire situation got to me as I drove home and I spent much of the long ride in tears. Happy tears, tears of relief, probably just emotional from being so tired.

I really appreciate all the forumites who shared their own personal experiences with me, on this thread and via pm. I don't care what anyone says.....you guys/gals are alright in my book! :killingme

dachsom

Thank you so much for the thoughts and prayers. Mom's surgery went really well yesterday. Quadruple bypass, ugh, but she made it through and actually looked a little better than I had anticipated when we got to see her around 5pm. She was still asleep and woke on her own around 11pm last night. They've gotten the breathing tube out and are slowly getting some of the other tubes out.

She's still a little "out of it", nurse just told me that sometimes she realizes she's in the hospital but sometimes she thinks she's at a restaurant or a military base (huh, lol). But she's doing well and will be transferred to a room sometime this morning when a bed becomes available. I requested a private room as acommondisaster recommended, I think the extra $10-$15 a day will be well worth it for her. I'll be headed up there in a little while, can't wait to see her. I held it together pretty well yesterday, even when hubby & I went to see her after the surgery, but I guess the entire situation got to me as I drove home and I spent much of the long ride in tears. Happy tears, tears of relief, probably just emotional from being so tired.

I really appreciate all the forumites who shared their own personal experiences with me, on this thread and via pm. I don't care what anyone says.....you guys/gals are alright in my book! :killingme

Thanks for the update and I am glad to hear things are going well. Make sure to take care of yourself too!. Good luck and thoughts are with you.

:huggy:

acommondisaster

So glad to hear your mom came through surgery with flying colors! I know for me, getting the chest tube out was a huge step in helping me feel normal and ambulatory again. There were so many tubes and IV's - I was afraid to move for fear of knocking out something important.

Whenever you go see her, check all of her IV's - make sure they're not getting irritated and ask to have them replaced if they look like they might be bothering her. Since your mom is older, she may not notice.

After reading your post, I think you might do well to read up on senior's recovery from anethesia and surgery. I have heard there are more challenges and considerations to keep in mind with seniors after general anethesia.

Once again - I'm so happy to hear your mom is doing well - you'll be surprised how good she looks today! That heart of hers is relaxing and doing its job now, rather than always feeling like it's working on pushing blood uphill!

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Glad to hear that all went well. Remember to do a few special things for yourself in the upcoming weeks -- you will be working hard to care for your Mom and your family. Remember, if you are happy, they are happy! (It's contagious!)

bcp

In My Opinion
Be patient with her, she has a couple weeks of hell then the recovery will be a piece of cake for her. Couple months from now she will be better than she has been in years.

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
Thanks again everyone. Yesterday was tough, she was obviously in quite a bit of pain but couldn't remember to hit the morphine button even though it was in her hand. She still looked better than I anticipated and answered questions but wasn't too talkative, understandably. I felt horrible leaving her, knowing she was in pain.

Today, day 2 of recovery, is a new day. She's sleeping, looks comfy, and they removed all her tubes an hour ago. Just oxygen now and they'll take the morphine away today and give her oral painkillers as needed. She ate a little breakfast and walked a little. More walking later. It's so great to see her resting comfortably because yesterday was hell.

acommondisaster

Glad to hear how well she's doing. It's pretty amazing how fast the turnaround is, considering what a major procedure this is.

Still lots of work ahead of her, and you'll have to encourage her, but I'm betting that she already is starting to feel better than she did before the bypass. The drive home will be the next real challenge.

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
Glad to hear how well she's doing. It's pretty amazing how fast the turnaround is, considering what a major procedure this is.

Still lots of work ahead of her, and you'll have to encourage her, but I'm betting that she already is starting to feel better than she did before the bypass. The drive home will be the next real challenge.

It's interesting you say that. They've been working on Pennsylvania Ave around 395 the entire time I've lived here, 3.5 yrs. It feels like I'm off roading every time I drive it and I've already told the staff they better drug her up real good for that ride home. I may need to find an alternate route, take the beltway to 4 or something. That 2 mile stretch will be hell for her and that pillow just isn't gonna cut it.

bcp

In My Opinion

Forgot about the drive home part..
Pillow between the seatbelt and chest, go at a low traffic time to reduce the chance of a quick stop.

acommondisaster

Take along several pillows.

Also - your mom's been wearing hospital gowns for a few days. Think (and talk to her) about what she'll wear home that day. I'd suggest some pants with an elastic waist and a top that goes on easily. (Read loose fitting clothes) Talk about bra/no bra.

I gained 10lbs from surgery (apparently this weight gain is normal and I lost it in the first week I was home, as recommended by the doctor), so you may want to take that into account when choosing clothes for your mom to wear home.

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
Take along several pillows.

Also - your mom's been wearing hospital gowns for a few days. Think (and talk to her) about what she'll wear home that day. I'd suggest some pants with an elastic waist and a top that goes on easily. (Read loose fitting clothes) Talk about bra/no bra.

I gained 10lbs from surgery (apparently this weight gain is normal and I lost it in the first week I was home, as recommended by the doctor), so you may want to take that into account when choosing clothes for your mom to wear home.

Thanks again! She came home Monday and is doing really well. A nurse is coming today and I think OT/PT will take place here as well but the nurse will go over everything with us when she gets here. She also gained 10 lbs and has lost much of it already. Follow up appt with the surgeon in 3 weeks. She's doing so much better than we thought she'd be doing so soon, thankfully.

bcp

In My Opinion
Thanks again! She came home Monday and is doing really well. A nurse is coming today and I think OT/PT will take place here as well but the nurse will go over everything with us when she gets here. She also gained 10 lbs and has lost much of it already. Follow up appt with the surgeon in 3 weeks. She's doing so much better than we thought she'd be doing so soon, thankfully.

Thats great news.
she should be 110% in no time at all.