trout stocking

river rat

BUCKING GOAT
What is this "whirling" disease?
(Read it under the trout stocking schedule.)

I haven't come across that yet, and hope it stays that way!

jenni4

Yay me!

Attachments

• pal trout 1.jpg
    pal trout 1.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 77
  • pal trout 2.jpg
    pal trout 2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 76

jenni4

Yay me!
Is there any place around here to go catfishing? I would love to take my son and daughter. They've never caught catfish before. I know I used to go to the Rappahanock in Va. and catch some monster cats. I've heard there are some in Lake Lariat and St. Mary's but I've never seen any come out of there.

I've seen alot of people catching channels, blues, and whites out at Slavin's pier by Indian head. and a few bullheads too

Bushy23

I know, my daughter caught two and my son caught one. I believe it is due to inbreeding and is fairly common in hatchery raised trout.

That's not true. It is just a rainbow trout with different pigmentation. They breed them at the hatcheries since it is something different and people like to catch them.

Bushy23

I've seen alot of people catching channels, blues, and whites out at Slavin's pier by Indian head. and a few bullheads too

That is an excellent place to catch catfish. I have caught many there just using earthworms. Might try the upper parts of the pax river, Jug Bay I believe is a good spot. Anywhere on the Potomac north of the 301 bridge should be good assuming the water isn't salty.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

That's not true. It is just a rainbow trout with different pigmentation. They breed them at the hatcheries since it is something different and people like to catch them.

Just going by what the Park Ranger told me.

You're both partly correct :lol:
It's a genetic mutation, like any other albino animal :yay: I see no reason it couldn't be POSSIBLE in nature, but they are mostly (like, 99%) created in hatcheries.

Found this online, not sure of the truth behind it though
Not found in nature, the palomino trout are genetically manipulated rainbows. They are one of a number of artificial strains developed in hatcheries for enjoyment by anglers.

West Virginia Conservation Department discovered a single rainbow trout in 1954 that was partly normally pigmented and partly gold. West Virginia developed the fully golden strain, and by the 1960s, that strain became popular among anglers. In the 1960s, the Commission began producing and stocking the gold-colored palomino trout.

There have been more in recent years, apparently, because I caught 2 or 3 the end of last year (after the fall stocking). They still aren't too common because predators are more likely to see these golden trout than regular rainbow trout, so they don't last long. :yay:

kayakangler

FISH OR DIE
Hey Kayak, where were these taken?

Me and my daughter take a long paddle trip every year.. we paddle and camp.. that one i believe was on the

shenandoah river.. man what a great trip.. she caught so many fish...

this was the first year that she was able to control the canoe enough so that i was able to get some good quality fishing time in... She had the helm for about 2 hours right at the end of this trip.. even paddled thru some small ripples..

cant wait until this year.. maybe she will be even better.. and more fishing for old pop.. LOL :dye: what a selfish dad.. LOL

its no fair she caught the biggest fish...LOL

Attachments

• P1010107.JPG
    P1010107.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 73
Last edited: