Trucks and Trailers

Crashpupty

havoc is havoc
2baymares said:
Right now Dodge has a lifetime warranty on engine & Transmission for the Life of vehicle as long as first owner has vehicle. :yay: It is available on all Dodge cars and Dakotas and Dodge Ram 1500's. Not on 2500 or 3500.

Dakota can tow over 5000lbs. and are better on gas for running everyday errands. I've towed with a Dakota for many years now and love it! I tow once or twice a week. I've had no problems.
Lets see if that continues with pulling a horse and an albino rihno. You are basically pulling 3 now.

Crashpupty

havoc is havoc
Sparks said:
An F150 or 1500 will do fine for shorter hauls with a 2 horse trailer (not steel)

A larger truck will always be better pulling and stopping but also consider what other driving you'll do with the truck. You may not want to drive a big diesel truck around every day. Parking it can be a biatch too.
If you go with the F150 or 1500 make sure your trailer has brakes and you have an electronic brake controller installed in the truck. You don't want the trailer to push you around.

SLIM

Crashpupty said:
If you go with the F150 or 1500 make sure your trailer has brakes and you have an electronic brake controller installed in the truck. You don't want the trailer to push you around.
:yeahthat:
:howdy: As someone mentioned earlier, make sure you have a heavy duty suspension on your truck no matter whether you get a diesel or gasoline engine! By personnell experience, a diesel will out haul any gasoline engine, short or long distance. We use our 2001 Chevy 2500 4x4HD w/V8 Duramax diesel everywhere and you cannot beat the mileage, hauling or not. Our 2500 gets as good, if not better, mileage than our Chevy S-10 gasoline engine! Yes, it is a PITA to park but you get used to it after awhile. I think a diesel is geared lower thus putting out more power with less fuel usage. I used to think that I didn't want a "stinkin' ass diesel" until we got one, now, I don't know what I'd do without it! :larry:

2baymares

Crashpupty said:
Lets see if that continues with pulling a horse and an albino rihno. You are basically pulling 3 now.

Yep, test run with "3" will be Sunday. :lmao: I wonder if I can get up that Hill. :eyebrow:

2baymares said:
Right now Dodge has a lifetime warranty on engine & Transmission for the Life of vehicle as long as first owner has vehicle.

I didn't know that about Dodge. I like the idea of the 1 ton as the trailer is steel and there has already been one situation where the trailer came off of the truck and my friend's one ton handled it just fine. I am afraid that if the same situation were to happen while towing with a 1500, the truck would not be able to hold the weight.

I have a little S10 so the only time I can move my horse around is when I borrow my friend's F350. Time to get a bigger truck!

How did the older Dodge diesels do? I had heard Dodge had some problems a while back, is that the case? I was going to go up to the one of the municipality auctions to get something but the other week they only had Dodge.

I appreciate all of the responses and advice from everyone received thus far.

j

2baymares

mistymare said:
I didn't know that about Dodge. I like the idea of the 1 ton as the trailer is steel and there has already been one situation where the trailer came off of the truck and my friend's one ton handled it just fine. I am afraid that if the same situation were to happen while towing with a 1500, the truck would not be able to hold the weight.

I have a little S10 so the only time I can move my horse around is when I borrow my friend's F350. Time to get a bigger truck!

How did the older Dodge diesels do? I had heard Dodge had some problems a while back, is that the case? I was going to go up to the one of the municipality auctions to get something but the other week they only had Dodge.

I appreciate all of the responses and advice from everyone received thus far.

j

Mistymare, How often do you plan to tow?

2baymares

mistymare said:
Daily. I will need to tow to the local park in order to ride.

j

If you are just doing little trips a Dodge 1500 with V8 4.7Litre would be fine. Right now you can pick one up at the Dodge Dealer - NEW '07 Ram 1500 4 door 4x2 SLT (power windows & locks & keyless remote) for around $22,100 plus tax and tags. And you will get a Lifetime Powertrain warranty included.

If you plan on going in the mountains then you might consider one with a HEMI & 4x4. Plenty of power and Same Lifetime Powertrain warranty.

(Small Dodge Dakota can also handle 5000lb. towing with no problems)

Carefulone

I too have a dura max diesel and love it, it's a 4X4 dually, which I guess is overkill for a two horse, but the gas mileage is about 24 on the highway or better, so I can't complain. It's also something I won't have to trade in, although it's a 2002 and I'd love too....but it will haul anything in my future. It's also, and it's a GMC, the most reliable vehicle I've used to haul. You could almost forget the trailer was behind you.

Loper

Animal Poor!
2baymares said:
If you are just doing little trips a Dodge 1500 with V8 4.7Litre would be fine. Right now you can pick one up at the Dodge Dealer - NEW '07 Ram 1500 4 door 4x2 SLT (power windows & locks & keyless remote) for around $22,100 plus tax and tags. And you will get a Lifetime Powertrain warranty included.

If you plan on going in the mountains then you might consider one with a HEMI & 4x4. Plenty of power and Same Lifetime Powertrain warranty.

(Small Dodge Dakota can also handle 5000lb. towing with no problems)

That Dakota did fine pulling your "3" today... :lmao:

SLIM

Carefulone said:
I too have a dura max diesel and love it, it's a 4X4 dually, which I guess is overkill for a two horse, but the gas mileage is about 24 on the highway or better, so I can't complain. It's also something I won't have to trade in, although it's a 2002 and I'd love too....but it will haul anything in my future. It's also, and it's a GMC, the most reliable vehicle I've used to haul. You could almost forget the trailer was behind you.
:yeahthat: :yay:

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
Carefulone said:
Wow. My truck gets 8 miles to the gallon while pulling. That sucks! I don't want a dually though, but I could handle 24 miles to the gallon!

Carefulone

I've heard others say the same, up to 24 with dura max diesel (is that how you spell it)combined with the allison transmission gets great milage. It was more expensive to begin with, but it's paid off. I don't think it's only the dually or the one ton, probably the 3/4 as well?

SLIM

Carefulone said:
I've heard others say the same, up to 24 with dura max diesel (is that how you spell it)combined with the allison transmission gets great milage. It was more expensive to begin with, but it's paid off. I don't think it's only the dually or the one ton, probably the 3/4 as well?

Yep, We have a 2500 that gets about the same. :yay: