Trump urges calm even as US reports worrisome new virus case

transporter

Trump urges calm even as US reports worrisome new virus case

Love this part:

Trump spent close to an hour discussing the virus threat, after a week of sharp stock market losses over the health crisis and concern within the administration that a growing outbreak could affect his reelection. He blamed the Democrats for the stock market slide, saying, “I think the financial markets are very upset when they look at the Democrat candidates standing on that stage making fools out of themselves.” And at one point he shifted to defend his overall record and predict a win in November.

What a buffoon.

For those who are too stupid to realize the timeline...the Dem debate was held Tuesday evening. The Dow dropped 1900 points during Monday and Tuesday's trading sessions which were both LONG since over before the Dem debate started.

I bet the majority of folks on here (the ignorati types) believed the President's comments.

Last edited:

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
If one fixates on nit-picking one misses the whole point of what went on at the presser. The President's job (any President's job) is to be optimistic and to reassure in order to tamp down/not add to the anxiety/panic these situations cause.

The presser was quite good from a psychological/persuasion perspective (unless, of course, one finds oneself intractably opposed to Trump for whatever reason).

Trump sought to reassure by offering an alternative to the narrative that the coronavirus was clobbering the stock market. He did that by stating that some of the drop was the result of the Dem debate. Whether that's entirely true, partially true, or a stab in the dark is irrelevant; the comments were designed to be psychologically effective: offering an alternative to the irrational (at this point) "hysteria" over the virus. From a persuasion perspective this was a smart move.

Equally smart were the comments by the NIH dude who told folks a vaccine wouldn't be ready until next year. On the face of it, that's disappointing, but the persuasion play was in the telling that the USG was fast-tracking the vaccine. That conveyed the message that the government is taking this virus seriously.

Also, the doc who made the comments about the best precautions were the usual ones (i.e., wash hands, stay home if sick, cover mouth when coughing/sneezing, etc.) was also very reassuring from a persuasion perspective.

Finally, Trump's anecdote about being "hugged and kissed" by a friend ("'How are you doing,' I asked. 'Not so good, I think I've got the flu' he answered as he gave me a big hug") was fantastic from a persuasion perspective. And as @TPD noted in a different thread that Trump did the presser on the heels of his return from a (strategically very) successful India visit was great leadership.

Feel free to call Trump a buffoon, but don't do it out of a desire to say the presser was ineffective. Sorry, but it was (effective). In fact, we may be seeing some calming in its aftermath: silver and gold prices have stopped going up and as I post this continue to go down.

So keep calm and carry on, everyone! Some in their optimism, some in their #TDS.

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

BOP

If one fixates on nit-picking one misses the whole point of what went on at the presser. The President's job (any President's job) is to be optimistic and to reassure in order to tamp down/not add to the anxiety/panic these situations cause.

The presser was quite good from a psychological/persuasion perspective (unless, of course, one finds oneself intractably opposed to Trump for whatever reason).

Trump sought to reassure by offering an alternative to the narrative that the coronavirus was clobbering the stock market. He did that by stating that some of the drop was the result of the Dem debate. Whether that's entirely true, partially true, or a stab in the dark is irrelevant; the comments were designed to be psychologically effective: offering an alternative to the irrational (at this point) "hysteria" over the virus. From a persuasion perspective this was a smart move.

Equally smart were the comments by the NIH dude who told folks a vaccine wouldn't be ready until next year. On the face of it, that's disappointing, but the persuasion play was in the telling that the USG was fast-tracking the vaccine. That conveyed the message that the government is taking this virus seriously.

Also, the doc who made the comments about the best precautions were the usual ones (i.e., wash hands, stay home if sick, cover mouth when coughing/sneezing, etc.) was also very reassuring from a persuasion perspective.

Finally, Trump's anecdote about being "hugged and kissed" by a friend ("'How are you doing,' I asked. 'Not so good, I think I've got the flu' he answered as he gave me a big hug") was fantastic from a persuasion perspective. And as @TPD noted in a different thread that Trump did the presser on the heels of his return from a (strategically very) successful India visit was great leadership.

Feel free to call Trump a buffoon, but don't do it out of a desire to say the presser was ineffective. Sorry, but it was (effective). In fact, we may be seeing some calming in its aftermath: silver and gold prices have stopped going up and as I post this continue to go down.

So keep calm and carry on, everyone! Some in their optimism, some in their #TDS.

--- End of line (MCP)
Nicely put, but that went :whoosh: right through Tranny's ears.

littlelady

God bless the USA
There are many virus threads, so I’ll just put this here...

https://www.waynedupree.com/eric-holder-trump-coronavirus/

Well, this is beyond creepy.
Eric Holder, along with many other D.C. swamp creatures, is attacking President Trump’s response to the coronavirus, but Holder definitely took it to a weird place.
The former Attorney General issued out a tweet where he suggested that Trump wasn’t prepared for the virus and included a photo of assassinated president John F. Kennedy and his brother who was also killed.

Eric Holder
✔@EricHolder

Does anyone think that if there were a consequential national security/economic crisis that this Administration has the intellectual capacity and policy acumen to navigate the nation through it? The answer, frighteningly, is no. Now we have the coronavirus and they have no idea.
View image on Twitter
11:45 PM - Feb 25, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

18.4K people are talking about this

Lots of other twitter users also saw this as a cryptic threat against the president and were quick to point it out.
“This is bigger then @BarackObama admins gender-less bathrooms…let the adults handle this one! I don’t like your f** picture either…is that code or something? @SecretService @potus @WhiteHouse @SecPompeo”

Wow.