TSA Biometrics / Mobile Driver's License

TPD

the poor dad
I'm flying next month and was just informed that DCA is 100% facial recognition scanning. I don't trust my government. And I certainly don't need to be in another one of their databases. So I started doing some reading on the facial recognition scanning. Thankfully, according to TSA info, I can opt out of this facial scan BS. (I haven't been thru a full body scanner yet at a US airport) Yeah, I know I'm already on the lists and the government knows all about me, but part of my opposition is similar to the self-checkouts - I want people to be working. People need jobs! This biometric crap is just another robot technology removing jobs AND another way of the government spying on me and collecting more of my personal data. But then of course there is the whole government jobs thing. If the TSA is actually gonna save money and cut government jobs with this program, then maybe, I will submit. But I still doubt it. Just let me show my physical license or passport to the TSO and exchange some pleasantries and let me be on my way.

While reading up on the facial technology stuff, I learned that there is such a thing as mobile driver's licenses being tested for iPhone that is accepted at TSA security checkpoints. Maryland is part of the test program. But the thing is, TSA is apparently the only one accepting your driver's license as ID on your phone - law enforcement is not. If it's good enough for TSA, why isn't it good enough for MSP or SMCSO? It sounds like the mobile ID is as simple as taking a picture of your license with your phone, adding it to Apple Wallet, taking a couple pictures of yourself, then submitting to MVA for a quick approval. Has anyone tried this? Again, I don't trust my government or companies like Apple to keep my information secure and private, so not willing to try this new stuff. Call me old fashioned, which by the way, if made properly, I can sit at the bar all night downing these.

HemiHauler

Global Entry uses facial recognition too. Flew back into US recently through SEATAC and customs dude told me to just look at the camera, no need to see passport, he already knew my name.

Loads of mistakes with automated facial recognition too:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
The Alonzo Sawyer case adds to just a handful of known instances of innocent people getting arrested following investigations that involved face recognition misidentification—all have been Black men.

Face recognition systems have a history of misidentifying people with dark skin, and more than 60 percent of Baltimore residents identify as Black. Sydnor says he feels a pressing need to get regulation into place to protect their rights.

So basically, to AI, black people all look alike?

glhs837

Power with Control
Global Entry uses facial recognition too. Flew back into US recently through SEATAC and customs dude told me to just look at the camera, no need to see passport, he already knew my name.

Loads of mistakes with automated facial recognition too:

Paid for Global Entry back in 2022 before my first trip to Norway, couldn't get an interview. Tried upon reentry into Dulles from Iceland, but it was 11:50pm and that said nope. Finally got one in the Reagan building this Tuesday. Which is good since I'm going back to Iceland in the next month or so.

As for facial recog, I've been Clear for a couple of years, with 6-8 business trips a year, its more than paid for itself now that Pre-Check has been ruined by everybody having it :)

HemiHauler

Paid for Global Entry back in 2022 before my first trip to Norway, couldn't get an interview. Tried upon reentry into Dulles from Iceland, but it was 11:50pm and that said nope. Finally got one in the Reagan building this Tuesday. Which is good since I'm going back to Iceland in the next month or so.

As for facial recog, I've been Clear for a couple of years, with 6-8 business trips a year, its more than paid for itself now that Pre-Check has been ruined by everybody having it :)
I’ve been considering Clear, but still really need both. Clear seems suited to get us through the ID check more quickly, while PreCheck gets us through the personal inspections more quickly.

Clear isn’t at all US airports, though it’s at DCA, from where I depart most of the time.

glhs837

Power with Control
I’ve been considering Clear, but still really need both. Clear seems suited to get us through the ID check more quickly, while PreCheck gets us through the personal inspections more quickly.

Clear isn’t at all US airports, though it’s at DCA, from where I depart most of the time.
Oh agree. Been Precheck as well. Since I started flying to Seattle a lot back in 2008. I usually use Dulles and Reagan as well.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I just got my notice that it is time to get my PreCheck renewed. Does Global Entry require another interview?

HemiHauler

I just got my notice that it is time to get my PreCheck renewed. Does Global Entry require another interview?

Not required, but you may be selected for one depending on unknown factors. I renewed without requiring an interview, but spouse was flagged for an interview. In some cases, they may let you videoconference the interview.

Blister

43096.jpg

With a visit to Ulta Beauty or Hobby Lobby you probably can fool them!

revengeofthepinkpanther1978.15868-4096104162.jpg

A little makeup and a Mooostache and they won't recognize you.

glhs837

Power with Control
Not required, but you may be selected for one depending on unknown factors. I renewed without requiring an interview, but spouse was flagged for an interview. In some cases, they may let you videoconference the interview.

Yeah I was kind of hoping I wouldn't have to but they flagged me so it's been more than a year since I paid and I still don't have my course. I haven't been overseas since that one trip so it hasn't been a huge drag but..... Seems kind of silly given my employment history and what I currently do for a living. But there we are.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Yeah I was kind of hoping I wouldn't have to but they flagged me so it's been more than a year since I paid and I still don't have my course. I haven't been overseas since that one trip so it hasn't been a huge drag but..... Seems kind of silly given my employment history and what I currently do for a living. But there we are.
Wait... there's a course to take?!!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

I've had Clear for about a year now. Supposedly they will be integrated or synched with PreCheck "soon".

glhs837

Power with Control
Wait... there's a course to take?!!

Yeah, titled "Word Choices and Why They Matter"
I've had Clear for about a year now. Supposedly they will be integrated or synched with PreCheck "soon".

I mean I get through Clear and bypass most of the the Pre-Check line except what's right in front of the bins. Not sure how integrating in would help if you already have both.

DaSDGuy

I'm flying next month and was just informed that DCA is 100% facial recognition scanning. I don't trust my government. And I certainly don't need to be in another one of their databases. So I started doing some reading on the facial recognition scanning. Thankfully, according to TSA info, I can opt out of this facial scan BS. (I haven't been thru a full body scanner yet at a US airport) Yeah, I know I'm already on the lists and the government knows all about me, but part of my opposition is similar to the self-checkouts - I want people to be working. People need jobs! This biometric crap is just another robot technology removing jobs AND another way of the government spying on me and collecting more of my personal data. But then of course there is the whole government jobs thing. If the TSA is actually gonna save money and cut government jobs with this program, then maybe, I will submit. But I still doubt it. Just let me show my physical license or passport to the TSO and exchange some pleasantries and let me be on my way.

While reading up on the facial technology stuff, I learned that there is such a thing as mobile driver's licenses being tested for iPhone that is accepted at TSA security checkpoints. Maryland is part of the test program. But the thing is, TSA is apparently the only one accepting your driver's license as ID on your phone - law enforcement is not. If it's good enough for TSA, why isn't it good enough for MSP or SMCSO? It sounds like the mobile ID is as simple as taking a picture of your license with your phone, adding it to Apple Wallet, taking a couple pictures of yourself, then submitting to MVA for a quick approval. Has anyone tried this? Again, I don't trust my government or companies like Apple to keep my information secure and private, so not willing to try this new stuff. Call me old fashioned, which by the way, if made properly, I can sit at the bar all night downing these.
Tell them good luck with the facial tech. You're the guy wearing a mask.

• Love
Reactions: TPD