TSA Biometrics / Mobile Driver's License

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Clearly, they are lying to you.
Lying about what, shorty?
As first flagged by The Points Guy, CLEAR is poised to partner with the federal government to help process and finalize PreCheck applications at the airport, making it even easier for travelers to get PreCheck. Spokespeople from both the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and CLEAR confirmed the news, though it's unclear exactly when the new option to wrap up TSA PreCheck enrollment in CLEAR lanes will go live.

glhs837

Power with Control
Lying about what, shorty?

What this doesnt do is change your process once you finalize enrollment. If you have both, running through clear ends you up right at the line at the bins where you don't remove shoes, liquids and electronics. . If you only have Clear, you end up at the bins where you still need to do all that kabuki theatre stuff.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
What this doesnt do is change your process once you finalize enrollment. If you have both, running through clear ends you up right at the line at the bins where you don't remove shoes, liquids and electronics. . If you only have Clear, you end up at the bins where you still need to do all that kabuki theatre stuff.
Exactly.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

TSA is quietly rolling out facial recognition tech to 400 US airports in coming years... so is YOURS on the list?

Facial recognition technology will be introduced at more than 400 U.S. airports

Americans will soon be subjected to facial recognition screening in airports as a new program that is quietly rolling out the technology to 400 locations across the US.

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is 'in the beginning stages of integrating automated facial recognition capability' to current systems that scan flyers' credentials but won't be fully operational until 2030 or 2040.

The upgrade, which claims to capture 'minimum data' will match the traveler's face to their identification document, flight status and vetting status - and the facial recognition system is already used at 25 airports.

While TSA touts the program as a way to 'improve security effectiveness and efficiency,' US government officials have called it 'a precursor to a full-blown national surveillance state.'

Tech

I just got my notice that it is time to get my PreCheck renewed. Does Global Entry require another interview?
Renewed last year online. Approved in three days with e-mail and new NTN. New card mailed within a week.

glhs837

Power with Control
I just got my notice that it is time to get my PreCheck renewed. Does Global Entry require another interview?
It's a wife and I did our global entry on Tuesday at the Reagan building in DC. Underground parking below the building. I think that cost is 14 bucks. It's right in the ground floor of the building for people interviewing. I think it took us each about a minute to a minute and a half. They asked for name, birthday, place of birth and if you've ever been arrested for anything.

Tech

It's a wife and I did our global entry on Tuesday at the Reagan building in DC. Underground parking below the building. I think that cost is 14 bucks. It's right in the ground floor of the building for people interviewing. I think it took us each about a minute to a minute and a half. They asked for name, birthday, place of birth and if you've ever been arrested for anything.
Need appointment? Or walk in?

glhs837

Power with Control
Need appointment? Or walk in?

We both had appointments for 1030. Traffic was far better than expected and finding them in the building was quicker as well, so we got there about 940. They took us right way.

Bare-ya-cuda

TSA is quietly rolling out facial recognition tech to 400 US airports in coming years... so is YOURS on the list?

Facial recognition technology will be introduced at more than 400 U.S. airports

Americans will soon be subjected to facial recognition screening in airports as a new program that is quietly rolling out the technology to 400 locations across the US.

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is 'in the beginning stages of integrating automated facial recognition capability' to current systems that scan flyers' credentials but won't be fully operational until 2030 or 2040.

The upgrade, which claims to capture 'minimum data' will match the traveler's face to their identification document, flight status and vetting status - and the facial recognition system is already used at 25 airports.

While TSA touts the program as a way to 'improve security effectiveness and efficiency,' US government officials have called it 'a precursor to a full-blown national surveillance state.'
If you have gotten a passport photo you’re in the system

DaSDGuy

Not that it matters much, but you said you want people working, people need jobs.
Last time I heard, people wrote the code for the scanning tech. People designed and maintain those databases too. And the data mining queries and reports ... created by people.
Just sayin'

Kinnakeet

I'm flying next month and was just informed that DCA is 100% facial recognition scanning. I don't trust my government. And I certainly don't need to be in another one of their databases. So I started doing some reading on the facial recognition scanning. Thankfully, according to TSA info, I can opt out of this facial scan BS. (I haven't been thru a full body scanner yet at a US airport) Yeah, I know I'm already on the lists and the government knows all about me, but part of my opposition is similar to the self-checkouts - I want people to be working. People need jobs! This biometric crap is just another robot technology removing jobs AND another way of the government spying on me and collecting more of my personal data. But then of course there is the whole government jobs thing. If the TSA is actually gonna save money and cut government jobs with this program, then maybe, I will submit. But I still doubt it. Just let me show my physical license or passport to the TSO and exchange some pleasantries and let me be on my way.

While reading up on the facial technology stuff, I learned that there is such a thing as mobile driver's licenses being tested for iPhone that is accepted at TSA security checkpoints. Maryland is part of the test program. But the thing is, TSA is apparently the only one accepting your driver's license as ID on your phone - law enforcement is not. If it's good enough for TSA, why isn't it good enough for MSP or SMCSO? It sounds like the mobile ID is as simple as taking a picture of your license with your phone, adding it to Apple Wallet, taking a couple pictures of yourself, then submitting to MVA for a quick approval. Has anyone tried this? Again, I don't trust my government or companies like Apple to keep my information secure and private, so not willing to try this new stuff. Call me old fashioned, which by the way, if made properly, I can sit at the bar all night downing these.
Make sure your eyes are open wide

TPD

the poor dad
The vending machine thread reminded me of this one. We flew out of DCA 2 weeks ago to FLL then flew out of FLL a couple days ago back to DCA. Both airports do the facial recognition thing. I opted out both times with no issues - took an extra 5 seconds for the agents to check my identity. The agent in FLL seemed to cop an attitude with me when I opted out - I guess that's because she actually had to do her job at that point. I did see the signs at DCA about opting out, didn't notice any at FLL, but that could be because there was no line to get thru security.

On another note, CBP at the cruise terminals is a joke now. I guess since it is so easy for illegals to cross the border and bring in whatever they wish, they have finally decided to let real Americans into the country with no hassle as well.

glhs837

Power with Control
The vending machine thread reminded me of this one. We flew out of DCA 2 weeks ago to FLL then flew out of FLL a couple days ago back to DCA. Both airports do the facial recognition thing. I opted out both times with no issues - took an extra 5 seconds for the agents to check my identity. The agent in FLL seemed to cop an attitude with me when I opted out - I guess that's because she actually had to do her job at that point. I did see the signs at DCA about opting out, didn't notice any at FLL, but that could be because there was no line to get thru security.

On another note, CBP at the cruise terminals is a joke now. I guess since it is so easy for illegals to cross the border and bring in whatever they wish, they have finally decided to let real Americans into the country with no hassle as well.

Is FLL the same as FL?

PeoplesElbow

I'm flying next month and was just informed that DCA is 100% facial recognition scanning. I don't trust my government. And I certainly don't need to be in another one of their databases. So I started doing some reading on the facial recognition scanning. Thankfully, according to TSA info, I can opt out of this facial scan BS. (I haven't been thru a full body scanner yet at a US airport) Yeah, I know I'm already on the lists and the government knows all about me, but part of my opposition is similar to the self-checkouts - I want people to be working. People need jobs! This biometric crap is just another robot technology removing jobs AND another way of the government spying on me and collecting more of my personal data. But then of course there is the whole government jobs thing. If the TSA is actually gonna save money and cut government jobs with this program, then maybe, I will submit. But I still doubt it. Just let me show my physical license or passport to the TSO and exchange some pleasantries and let me be on my way.

While reading up on the facial technology stuff, I learned that there is such a thing as mobile driver's licenses being tested for iPhone that is accepted at TSA security checkpoints. Maryland is part of the test program. But the thing is, TSA is apparently the only one accepting your driver's license as ID on your phone - law enforcement is not. If it's good enough for TSA, why isn't it good enough for MSP or SMCSO? It sounds like the mobile ID is as simple as taking a picture of your license with your phone, adding it to Apple Wallet, taking a couple pictures of yourself, then submitting to MVA for a quick approval. Has anyone tried this? Again, I don't trust my government or companies like Apple to keep my information secure and private, so not willing to try this new stuff. Call me old fashioned, which by the way, if made properly, I can sit at the bar all night downing these.
What do you think they could get that they don't already have?