Turkeys

dave20

Just watched 40 young turkeys cross the driveway and into the woods. Kinda cool. I have never seen that many in a group unless they were pullets.
I used to have a flock like that come through my yard and the adjacent woods on a regular basis. Now I might see a couple at a time. Not sure what the problem is. Could be predators killing off the young or disease. I don't think over hunting or poaching are the problem. We do have a lot of owls around here and I'm pretty sure between them and the cats they have decimated the rabbit population.

NOTSMC

I used to have a flock like that come through my yard and the adjacent woods on a regular basis. Now I might see a couple at a time. Not sure what the problem is. Could be predators killing off the young or disease. I don't think over hunting or poaching are the problem. We do have a lot of owls around here and I'm pretty sure between them and the cats they have decimated the rabbit population.
Pilgrims.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Spring Turkey season starts April 18th. Where do you live?

As far as reduced numbers, there could be numerous reasons. Coyotes got them, foxes got them, if rain came while poults were still in the nest they could have drowned. Snakes could have gotten them, or raccoons or possums could have raided the nests. Both will kill young hatchlings. Hawks might have nabbed some. Loose dogs might have gotten them. or cats could have.

Or the habitat changed just enough that it's not attractive and the birds moved on.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
Had a flock that big, 30+, cross south sandgates road a month ago. First time I'd seen that many together.

Might have to take up hunting again.

tuffenuff2

There's a big flock that crosses Budds Creek Road just south of Chaptico market. Sometimes they fly across sometimes they walk/run.