TV hookups

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
@vraiblonde where the speakers are wired to the dvd/bluray player is the built-in sound system for those speakers. That is why it says "connecting speakers other than those supplied with the unit may damage the unit". Using the optical cable connection runs an external audio input through that system and gives you the benefit of unit.

@Monello someone needs your help or maybe more stuffed ham.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This way you can wire this box to your fancy speakers, and that’s it.

See, this is where I run into the problem. I don't know how to wire things into other things. I wouldn't even know where to start. I'm like, "Yep, that's a wire alright. Now what do I do with it?"

I like to plug and play, not wire things into other things. You all think it's simple because you know what you're talking about, but I am completely clueless. When you say "wire this into that" I'm thinking major electrician skills that I don't have. So maybe that's what needs to happen - I call in an electrician to wire things, but I don't want to spend a bunch of money on something that would be cool but is mostly unnecessary.

I thought it would be as simple as finding an adapter to attach the speaker wires to, that then gets attached to the TV, but since that's not the case I don't want to mess with it.

But thank you all anyway for your advice!

OccamsRazor

I thought it would be as simple as finding an adapter to attach the speaker wires to, that then gets attached to the TV, but since that's not the case I don't want to mess with it.

But it IS just that simple. You just have not seen it or addressed it. Get an optical cable. Plug it in on both sides and you are done!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Using the optical cable connection runs an external audio input through that system and gives you the benefit of unit.

PS, that sentence is Chinese to me. You might as well have said, "When the hypotenuse of the cleric fungi is mastadon, it's extraneous to discombobulate the klingon."

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
But it IS just that simple. You just have not seen it or addressed it. Get an optical cable. Plug it in on both sides and you are done!

I don't know what an optical cable is or where I would get one, and I don't know what "both sides" you're talking about.

An "optical" cable seems to me that it should be for video, not audio.

OccamsRazor

I don't know what an optical cable is or where I would get one, and I don't know what "both sides" you're talking about.

I know it might sound intimidating but, it really is not. Just Google "TV optical cable" and go forth and conquer. They are relatively cheap and take about 3 seconds to install.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....

There is a spot on the TV labeled "Digital Audio Out (Optical)". There is another on the DVD player, "Optical In". You go to Walmart, Best Buy, Target, mail order..... and get an optical cable, AKA 'TosLink'. Plug one end of the cable into the TV and the other into the DVD player at the pre-described places.

On the TV, go into Settings and change the Audio Out from Internal Speakers to something like External or Optical. On the DVD player, change the Input to AUX or something similar to select the optical cable as the input.

The TV uses an LED or Laser to convert the 5.1 (surround) audio into light, and passes it out on the optical cable. The DVD player uses the light pulses received and converts it back into 5.1 sound. Just a different way of transporting the sound, nothing to do with video.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
My Sony DVD/Bluray is the surround system (looks like yours). You get an optical cable and plug it into the Digital Audio Out (Optical) on your to TV then plug the other end into your DVD player Optical In. On your DVD player change input to TV and your TV sound should not go through your DVD speakers.

Amazon product

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There is a spot on the TV labeled "Digital Audio Out (Optical)". There is another on the DVD player, "Optical In". You go to Walmart, Best Buy, Target, mail order..... and get an optical cable, AKA 'TosLink'. Plug one end of the cable into the TV and the other into the DVD player at the pre-described places.

On the TV, go into Settings and change the Audio Out from Internal Speakers to something like External or Optical. On the DVD player, change the Input to AUX or something similar to select the optical cable as the input.

Finally English! :yahoo: :flowers:

Okay, I can do that. I'd like to eliminate the DVD player altogether, but that doesn't sound possible.

Are there going to be a bunch of different different connectors to choose from, or are optical cables universal like a USB?

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
nothing to do with video.
But that's not to say optical cable doesn't do video. One of my projects when working was to build and implement a campus-wide data, video and voice (phone) system over 10 miles of fiber optic cable. The optical cable is just a different form of transmission vs copper wire, like a home phone can use copper wire or wireless.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Finally English! :yahoo: :flowers:

Okay, I can do that. I'd like to eliminate the DVD player altogether, but that doesn't sound possible.

Are there going to be a bunch of different different connectors to choose from, or are optical cables universal like a USB?
If you want to eliminate the DVD play, replace it with an amplifier that accepts Toslink and HDMI inputs, and has speaker connections on the back similar to the ones where the wires connect on your DVD player.

Optical cable are pretty much standardized now.

glhs837

Power with Control
PS, that sentence is Chinese to me. You might as well have said, "When the hypotenuse of the cleric fungi is mastadon, it's extraneous to discombobulate the klingon."

Now your getting it!!!!

So, speaker wires. Looks complex, but like any problem, easily tackled with the right technque.

1. Right now, your speakers work, correct? That means they are identified for you right on the player.
  2. Wrap some blue painters tape around each wire, and write the labels for where those wires are connected on them. They are what looks to you to be a gobbeldy gook code, but you have help.
FR - Front Right (like aircraft, left and right is always based on the viewers point of view
FL - Front Left
CEN - Center
SUB - Subwoofer (this is the only speaker thats an oddball, will be a basic box with one opening, does all that rumble
SR - Surround Right (should be right back around to your side, maybe a foot behind the ears of listeners, as close to ear height as possible
SL - Surround Left (same, only left)

Any receiver will follow these conventions and by labelling them before you remove them and attaching them to the new thing following those codes, you'll be fine. Speakers carry no voltage to speak of so no safety issues. .

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If you want to eliminate the DVD play, replace it with an amplifier that accepts Toslink and HDMI inputs, and has speaker connections on the back similar to the ones where the wires connect on your DVD player.

Optical cable are pretty much standardized now.

Okay, so there has to be a go-between for the TV and the speakers, can't just plug the speaker wires directly into the TV. For now that go-between might as well be the DVD player even if I can't play DVDs on it, which I don't care about anyway because I think I left my Wire and Godfather DVDs in the motorhome and now they belong to the new owner.

Ooh! I'll run out right now and get the cable. It would be really exciting if I could have it all working by the time Monello gets back from the dentist!

Thanks!

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
An Optical Cable. I knew I had one around here somewhere...

glhs837

Power with Control
Okay, so there has to be a go-between for the TV and the speakers, can't just plug the speaker wires directly into the TV. For now that go-between might as well be the DVD player even if I can't play DVDs on it, which I don't care about anyway because I think I left my Wire and Godfather DVDs in the motorhome and now they belong to the new owner.

Ooh! I'll run out right now and get the cable. It would be really exciting if I could have it all working by the time Monello gets back from the dentist!

Thanks!

The socket is "keyed", meaning there's only onw way to plug it in. Take you time and rotate it properly, and gently.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And BOOM! TV is coming through the bougie speakers! :yahoo:

The problem is that now I have to use two remotes - one to control the TV, and the DVD one to adjust the sound, which doesn't work so I'll have to get up and adjust volume on the actual player. I'm guessing a universal remote will solve that problem but that's something for another day.

So I go to Walmart and the electronics guy asks if he can help me.

Me: "Yes, I'm looking for an optical cable."
Him: "Well, there are a bunch of different kinds, do you know exactly which one you need?"
Me thinking: ":cussing:"
Me: "It would also be called a TosLink."
Him: " :sshrug: Do you have a make and model #?"
Me: " :burning: lol"
Guy shopper: "Over here is what you need....."

So thank heavens for that guy shopper or there would have been trouble. That's what always happens and why I asked if it was a universal end - I get there thinking I know what I need and am confronted with different shapes and sizes, with the salestard telling me I need an exact make and model #.