Two thousand Twelve - DUN-DUN-DUNNNN!

Why do you believe the world will end in 2012

• Extensive study of the Mayan Calendar and detailed knowledge of applied galaxy-scale astrophysics.

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • I read it on the intarwebs, so it must be true!

• I don't really think it will, but I'm hedging my bets.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Ascended Master confirmed it for me.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I don't know why ... I just do.

• I don't like being a naysayer

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • I jump on every doomsday bandwagon. This is just the latest and greatest.

• I don't believe the world will end - I just can't resist voting in this awesome poll!

Votes: 38 76.0%
  • Other. Please Explain

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Toxick

Splat
How do you know it won't be for a billion years. Does the Sun have some sort of gauge on it that lets us know how much fuel is left?

Actually... yeah - it does.

The sun's tank can run for about 10 Billion years, and it's about half-empty... so we got about 5 billion years left.

Give or take.

and you know the sun is 5 billions years old how?

Because the same scientists that tell us about global warming have told us this too. (sarcasm implied)

Sun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basic science. Were you asleep in all your classes? Do you live in a bubble?
The Sun was formed about 4.57 billion years ago when a hydrogen molecular cloud collapsed.[85] Solar formation is dated in two ways: the Sun's current main sequence age, determined using computer models of stellar evolution and nucleocosmochronology, is thought to be about 4.57 billion years.[86] This is in close accord with the radiometric date of the oldest Solar System material, at 4.567 billion years ago.

Last edited:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Did anybody not see the previews for the movie, just take you private air plane and fly up in the air till the earth is done falling apart, then land and your okay.
That's right. The earth has already ended. We're just waiting for the Langoliers to come and eat us.

DEEKAYPEE8569

world won't end until we get hit by a meteor or the sun supernovas...but....

Worse case scenario: it doesn't end and you just rot in a box in the ground for all eternity...

best case scenario...you get to wherever you're going in the afterlife and you can wear the, "Died during the end of the world" Tshirt...

I mean at least you were there for the end right?

Speaking of meteors.....if you're near a TV, switch over to the Nat Geo channel.:jet:

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
and you know the sun is 5 billions years old how?
:whatgwguysaid:

At the least, we can learn a lot about our home star by looking at other stars throughout the galaxy, including their respective stages of development. If nothing else, we can very well guarantee that the sun will not go dark tomorrow.

nucleocosmochronology
That has to be the word of the day! :lol:

Pushrod

Patriot
From what I've read, the Mayan calendar is basically just rolling over at the end of 2012. In Maya calendrics, it is the end of Baktun 13. A Baktun us 144,000 days which is about 394 years. There is no evidence that the Mayans saw the end of Baktun 13 as a catastrophic end to the world, and some of their Long Count Texts refer to dates many baktuns past 13.

So live long and prosper!

:buddies:

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
I can't wait for 2012. Once the dust has settled I will be able to run naked through the streets.

JosephIV

This 2012 end date is obviously wrong. If it were correct the literature that the Jehovah's Witnesses leave at my door would mention it!

I'm sure some idiots will form a cult and kill themelves which can only help the gene pool. I can't wait to see how many goofballs come out of the woodwork.

I'll be sitting at home watching TV with my family, blissfully unaware of what's going on in the world.

Buffy2k8

What the Mayans interpret as the end is different from our definition. I don't think the world will end, though I did catch the movie in theatres~