Two weeks notice for relationships

Two weeks notice to end a long-term relationship?

• Yes

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • No

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • A week should do

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • You get slapped a lot, don't you?

Votes: 24 44.4%

• Total voters
So, I'm bored this morning and another thread got me thinking about something. In most situations, I guess it's considered appropriate to give employers 2 weeks notice when we intend to leave our job. Are long-term relationships any less important?

My question is this - if we've been in a long-term committed relationship with someone (6 months, a year, or 6 years - whatever you consider long-term), should we give them 2 weeks notice when we desire to move on and try something new?

Something like this:

Hey honey. How was your day, sweetheart?

Listen, we need to talk about something. I hate to do this, but I'm gonna have to give you 2 weeks notice on our relationship. You see, I met this lady today and - well, to be honest - I'm kinda diggin' her. You know - like I used to dig you. I'd like to pursue something with her and see what happens.

Anyway, out of respect for all that we've been through together over the last 16 months, I thought it was only fair that I give 'us' - that is, you - a couple weeks notice. That way, you can kinda make other plans and arrangements or whatever as well - you know, whatever you feel you need to do. In the meantime, we can still hang out and, well, do what we do - if you know what I mean. I promise - hand to God - I won't start anything with this woman until we're officially done. In two weeks. June 14th at 6 pm to be exact. What do you say?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
:lol:

Then the soon to be former SO has the opportunity to say, "Bob, I know you're excited to start your new relationship and your mind won't be on your relationship here. 2 weeks notice isn't necessary. Why don't you clean out your drawer right now? Oh, and don't forget your toothbrush. I'm assuming you won't need a letter of recommendation?"

Ok, sure, why not??? :lol: give the SO an opportunity to raise the stakes.

"Well, if you DON'T leave, you don't have to take out the garbage, every Wen and Fri is pizza night, and we'll have sex 3 times a week instead of once."

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bob, I just want to be clear that when you leave, you forfeit any seniority in the event it doesn't work out with your new relationship and you want to come back here.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
"Why sure honey,whatever you want to do" (thinking to self...okay, I can put sugar in the gas tank, poke holes in all of the condoms, withdraw all the money from the accounts & stash it in an offshore account, hire a good attorney, switch the labels on the Ben-gay and the jock itch creme, put Nair in the hair gel bottle...yep, two weeks oughta be enough time....):biggrin:

bcp

In My Opinion
"Why sure honey,whatever you want to do" (thinking to self...okay, I can put sugar in the gas tank, poke holes in all of the condoms, withdraw all the money from the accounts & stash it in an offshore account, hire a good attorney, switch the labels on the Ben-gay and the jock itch creme, put Nair in the hair gel bottle...yep, two weeks oughta be enough time....):biggrin:
Debbie?? is that you?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So, I'm bored this morning and another thread got me thinking about something. In most situations, I guess it's considered appropriate to give employers 2 weeks notice when we intend to leave our job. Are long-term relationships any less important?

My question is this - if we've been in a long-term committed relationship with someone (6 months, a year, or 6 years - whatever you consider long-term), should we give them 2 weeks notice when we desire to move on and try something new?

Something like this:

Entertaining but, wretched comparison.

If the relationship fits into the employee/employer paradigm, have at it, it really doesn't matter because it was never gonna work anyway unless you were happy with "Hey, don't ask me, I just work here."

If it was a real relationship, then it could be treated like a partnership and now you're talking about closing up shop or being bought out to whatever extent the partnership built stuff together. Then, you're not giving two weeks notice, you are agreeing on time-lines and points along the way to dissolution.

If it was just a lemonade stand, you can probably just shake hands and move to the other street corner. If it was a real thing, a dog, property, joint collection of body oils from around the world, it takes a little more than giving two weeks.

TurboK9

Entertaining but, wretched comparison.

If the relationship fits into the employee/employer paradigm, have at it, it really doesn't matter because it was never gonna work anyway unless you were happy with "Hey, don't ask me, I just work here."

If it was a real relationship, then it could be treated like a partnership and now you're talking about closing up shop or being bought out to whatever extent the partnership built stuff together. Then, you're not giving two weeks notice, you are agreeing on time-lines and points along the way to dissolution.

If it was just a lemonade stand, you can probably just shake hands and move to the other street corner. If it was a real thing, a dog, property, joint collection of body oils from around the world, it takes a little more than giving two weeks.

Why not just get a 'temp job'?

"Hmmmm I think I'll work over there for a few weeks... I'll be back when I'm bored." :dye:

Rael

Supper's Ready

Something like this:

A couple things to consider:

- Your medical/dental plan
- Her pension plan

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB

I think I know your husband/SO and all have to say is that if you do all that is that payback is a #####.