U.S. Army Is Officially Ditching The M4 Rifle For Something Much More Powerful

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The U.S. Army announced last month a 10-year contract with Sig Sauer to manufacture two Next Generation Squad Weapon (NGSW) variations: the XM5 Rifle, which will replace the M4/M4A1 carbine; and the XM250 Automatic Rifle, which will replace the M249 Squad Automatic Weapon.

Both the M4/M4A1 carbine and the M249 Squad Automatic Weapon relied on firing the 5.56x45mm NATO cartridge. The new NGSW rifles will fire a new 6.8x51mm cartridge that are more accurate and are more lethal against emerging threats than both the 5.56x45mm and 7.62x51mm ammunition.

“Both weapons provide significant capability improvements in accuracy, range and overall lethality,” the U.S. Army said in a statement. “They are lightweight, fire more lethal ammunition, mitigate recoil, provide improved barrel performance, and include integrated muzzle sound and flash reduction.”

Reactions: JEB

WingsOfGold

Might this be defeating the purpose of the 5.56........... being able to carry many more rounds than the 308 which was the reasoning? Seems right where they started from with little improvement.
I'll stand pat with my many 06's and SKS's....... should the nuts ever go full retard I'll make San Juan Hill look like a picnic.

Hijinx

Where will these weapons be made?
It would make sense to me to have them made in America, since it's Americans tax money paying for them.

black dog

Free America
Where will these weapons be made?
It would make sense to me to have them made in America, since it's Americans tax money paying for them.
Sig has a US factory in New Hampshire.
I believe FN USA builds the 249 Saw and the 240 Bravo. The Armys 240's are to be converted from 7.62 x 51 to the new round.

It will be 20 years for the USMC to shift over,
They for the most part still dont have the new Sig Sauer M17 pistol.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Might this be defeating the purpose of the 5.56........... being able to carry many more rounds than the 308 which was the reasoning? Seems right where they started from with little improvement.
I'll stand pat with my many 06's and SKS's....... should the nuts ever go full retard I'll make San Juan Hill look like a picnic.
Definitely the idea behind the 5.56 is to not kill somebody just hurt them enough that somebody has to care for them.

WingsOfGold

Definitely the idea behind the 5.56 is to not kill somebody just hurt them enough that somebody has to care for them.
Long said well spread rumor, I don't believe that for a second. They were counting on the theory of speed and tumbling. Not my style but I have seen many a deer taken with a 223, kills them quite dead with large exit hole.
Badly wounded dinks were just left to die, comrades didn't do shiit for them.