U.S. Navy Launches Ship Named After Harvey Milk

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
U.S. Navy Launches Ship Named After Gay Rights Leader Harvey Milk

A U.S. Navy ship carrying the name of slain gay rights leader Harvey Milk was formally christened and launched Saturday in San Diego Bay.

AP reports the replenishment oiler USNS Harvey Milk was welcomed into service after a bottle of champagne was smashed on the bow by former Navy officer Paula M. Neira, clinical program director for the Johns Hopkins Center for Transgender Health.

Video of the Christening Ceremony:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
An oiler. They come alongside, pull out their hose, then deposit their warm load into a similar type vessel. They can service 2 ships at the same time.

Hijinx

I sure wouldn't want to be a sailor on that ship.
Just imagine coming into a port and going to a bar around other sailors and telling them you serve on the Milk.

blacklabman

I heard they were planning to name a aircraft carrier after an enlisted man. I though aircraft carriers were named after presidents, Stennis the exception.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
They could name a ship after Mother Teresa and some would still find a reason to complain.

PeoplesElbow

I heard they were planning to name a aircraft carrier after an enlisted man. I though aircraft carriers were named after presidents, Stennis the exception.
Vinson also, personally I don't think they should be named for people, but if they are they need to be people that did something really special while in the Navy, not just a president that was in the Navy. I even include the Washington in this, so that's saying a lot.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
They could name a ship after Mother Teresa and some would still find a reason to complain.
Just wait until the CVX2 carriers make it to production and the first ship of the line becomes the USS Pelosi.

Followed by the USSRS Ocasio-Cortez

WingsOfGold

That's the trend now, most carriers were once named after battles. Essex, Antietam, Saratoga, Princeton, Valley Forge, Midway ect ect....

WingsOfGold

U.S. Navy Launches Ship Named After Gay Rights Leader Harvey Milk

A U.S. Navy ship carrying the name of slain gay rights leader Harvey Milk was formally christened and launched Saturday in San Diego Bay.

AP reports the replenishment oiler USNS Harvey Milk was welcomed into service after a bottle of champagne was smashed on the bow by former Navy officer Paula M. Neira, clinical program director for the Johns Hopkins Center for Transgender Health.

Video of the Christening Ceremony:

Former sailors of the now gone USS Kearsarge aka Queer Barge are breathing a sigh of relief.