UFC ANNOUNCES UFC 91: COUTURE vs LESNAR

tugboater

Miller Tang Soo Do Rocks
Las Vegas, NV (USA) – On November 15th, the champ is back.

Ultimate Fighting Championship President Dana White today announced that after a year away from the game, UFC® heavyweight champion Randy "The Natural" Couture will make his long-awaited return to the Octagon to defend his title against rising star Brock Lesnar in a clash of titans destined to shake the foundations of the sport. This championship bout, the biggest heavyweight title fight in years, will headline UFC 91: COUTURE vs. LESNAR, live from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday, Nov. 15, 2008.

"I am happy to announce that UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture will be returning to action in the Octagon," said Dana White, UFC President. "He's a legend in the UFC, and one of the fighters that helped build this sport. I have always said that wrestling is one of the best bases you can have in MMA and not only is Randy a top level wrestler but his opponent is as well. Brock Lesnar showed the MMA world that he is for real in his last fight, dismantling the far more experienced Heath Herring. His combination of speed and power was absolutely devastating. It is a fascinating matchup: the crafty, multiple-time heavyweight champion versus the younger, bigger, and stronger challenger. This is one that will go down in the history books."

Ticket information for UFC 91: COUTURE vs. LESNAR will be announced shortly.

UFC 91: COUTURE vs. LESNAR will be available live on pay-per-view at 10 p.m. EST/7 p.m. PST on iN DEMAND, DIRECTV, DISH Network, TVN, Bell ExpressVu, Shaw Communications and Viewer’s Choice Canada for a suggested retail price of $44.95 for standard definition or high-definition broadcasts (where available).

A UFC Hall of Famer whose name is synonymous with mixed martial arts, Randy ‘The Natural’ Couture (16-8) is the only fighter in history to win the UFC world heavyweight title three times, and that’s not even mentioning his two UFC light heavyweight titles. Owner of heavyweight wins over the likes of Maurice Smith, Vitor Belfort, Kevin Randleman, and Pedro Rizzo (twice), the 45-year old Las Vegas resident turned back the clock in 2007 with a stirring win over Tim Sylvia at UFC 68 that netted him his third heavyweight crown. Couture defended his title for the first time at UFC 74 with a third round TKO of number one contender Gabriel Gonzaga, and now the man often referred to as “Captain America” will look to prove once again that he should never be counted out in a fight when he takes on Brock Lesnar.

“I have a lot of respect for Brock as an athlete and a collegiate wrestler, but I know exactly where he’s at, he’s trying to make the transition from a wrestler to mixed martial arts,” said Couture. “I’ve been there, done that, and I know what the pitfalls are. This will be an interesting matchup, and it will be very nice to be home in the Octagon for this fight.”

A physically gifted athlete with the size, speed, and power to impose his will on any opponent, Brock Lesnar (2-1) made an immediate impact in the UFC when he debuted here in February of 2008, and he has his sights set on shocking the world on November 15th. A four-time All-American, two-time Big Ten Champion, and 2000 NCAA Division I National Champion in wrestling, Lesnar made a name for himself internationally after college as a professional wrestler, but he soon found his true love in mixed martial
arts in 2006. After a 69 second win in his pro debut a year later, Lesnar entered the UFC and made a positive impression in a loss to former heavyweight champion Frank Mir at UFC 81, but at UFC 87 in August, the Minneapolis-St. Paul resident showed why he is rapidly becoming one of the most feared fighters in the sport today and an immediate threat to the heavyweight throne.

"It's an honor to fight Randy Couture, he's a legend in this sport, and to get the chance to test myself against him is a gift," said Lesnar. "A lot guys would love to have this opportunity, Randy is the UFC heavyweight champion. There is one goal that I've had since I started training in MMA and that is to capture the title. Now that I'm getting the chance, nothing is going to stop me. I'm walking out of the Octagon with the belt around my waist."

Larry Gude

Strung Out
This...

...is a joke. Couture is gonna take him apart. This is almost as bad as Kimbo v. Shammrock.

Shammrock is gonna snap Kimbo's ankle and Couture is gonna arm bar or Kimura Brock.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
...is a joke. Couture is gonna take him apart. This is almost as bad as Kimbo v. Shammrock.

Shammrock is gonna snap Kimbo's ankle and Couture is gonna arm bar or Kimura Brock.

I dunno, I think the fight will be closer than that. But I do think Lesnar will be submitted.

Mojo

When was the last time you watched Shamrock fight? He has lost every fight he has been in lately. Kimbo is going to beat him easily.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
When was the last time you watched Shamrock fight? He has lost every fight he has been in lately. Kimbo is going to beat him easily.

I think Shamrock has gotten a little punchy. Saw an interview on Youtube from early this year and he was a bit slow on the uptake!

If Kimbo lands ANYTHING solid, I think Shamrock won't be able to recover.

Mojo

I think Shamrock has gotten a little punchy. Saw an interview on Youtube from early this year and he was a bit slow on the uptake!

If Kimbo lands ANYTHING solid, I think Shamrock won't be able to recover.

Everything he lands is solid :lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Look...

I dunno, I think the fight will be closer than that. But I do think Lesnar will be submitted.

...I can make an argument for both Kimbo and Brock KILLING their older, weaker opponents and, as we all know, ANYTHING can happen in MMA.

In fact, that's how I come to my view; Ken and Randy HAVE to get these fights on the ground. They can NOT stand there and trade with either one of these guys or they just might get killed, literally.

Ken and Randy can NOT, for a second, take these fights lightly or try to do something dumb and out strike them on their feet.

Kimbo just can't become a competent sprawl-er or submission defender just because Bas shows him what to do.

Brock, well, out slugging a declining Herring, well, that ain't Couture he fought.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
He...

...is certainly a shell of the former Shammrock, I'm not arguing otherwise. Thing is, he's been beaten by people who know the game, even if they're not household names. Kimbo just doesn't.

thurley42

HY;FR
Kimbo's last fight showed that no matter how hard he hits if he is forced to rely on his cardio and go the distance he's not going to win against a great fighter...that is why they are giving him Shamrock vice letting him fight Rogers...they know his chances are much better....

As far as Brock goes...he is a lot of fun to watch, but he tapped against Frank Mir, and I'm sorry Mir is no Randy Couture...

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
Lesnar better not make any stupid mistakes like his debut match. I would imagine Couture will have won by submission by the beginning of the third round.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That's...

Kimbo's last fight showed that no matter how hard he hits if he is forced to rely on his cardio and go the distance he's not going to win against a great fighter...that is why they are giving him Shamrock vice letting him fight Rogers...they know his chances are much better.... re...

...generous. He was well on his way to losing to what's his face, Thompson? and had his ear not EXLPODED he, with barely journeyman skills was, I think, going to win.

thurley42

HY;FR
Exactly!

...generous. He was well on his way to losing to what's his face, Thompson? and had his ear not EXLPODED he, with barely journeyman skills was, I think, going to win.

The guy is a tremendous brawler....his power is downright scary. But he's not fighting in Miami alleys anymore, he is fighting at one of the highest levels in the world now. There are guys who have won numerous wrestling championships, Olympic titles, and master martial artists. All of which level the playing field and bring more aspects and considerations into the match besides power. He is working on bringing up his game, but whether or not he can bring it up to the level of UFC champion...I'm not so sure....I mean at least Lesnar was a National Champion in wrestling....

Thompson's ear was downright Nasty!!! I was dying laughing, I thought the wife was going to vomit..

I think I am looking forward to seeing Gina pound some skulls more than the Kimbo/Shamrock fight.....:drool:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Couture...

...v. Sylvia was on again last night and, certainly, Brock is a far, far better wrestler than Sylvia. On the other hand, I think Sylvia is a better striker and certainly only survived because with his long limbs he could fight off finishing shots and submissions.

So, Randy won't be able to take Brock down over and over, but he should be able to get inside and hit him standing and get into him if he does take him down.

For sure, I can see Lezner destroying Randy if he lands a couple shots, but, I more readily see Couture hanging on early and figuring out a way to win.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Not even...

The guy is a tremendous brawler....his power is downright scary.

...that! Look at his fights with people his size, the couple he's actually had. He made his name annihilating smaller people. He isn't wiping people out that are his size and know how to fight.

thurley42

HY;FR
...v. Sylvia was on again last night and, certainly, Brock is a far, far better wrestler than Sylvia. On the other hand, I think Sylvia is a better striker and certainly only survived because with his long limbs he could fight off finishing shots and submissions.

So, Randy won't be able to take Brock down over and over, but he should be able to get inside and hit him standing and get into him if he does take him down.

For sure, I can see Lezner destroying Randy if he lands a couple shots, but, I more readily see Couture hanging on early and figuring out a way to win.

I agree.....I go back to the Frank Mir fight.....that dude had no clue what hit him.....I think he was still waking up in the post fight interview...but Brock left a foot open and as any good submissionist would he tapped him.....I agree...Randy wins this one.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Oh...

:lmao:

I wouldn't want to get hit by him!:lmao:

...hell no! I'm a big guy and he'd break me in half. However, I haven't been training and fighting for 10-25 years either.

Decent foot work, ability to take a few shots, good hands, ability to defend ones self; these are not the skills of people who he has walked through on his way to a professional career.

Hell, one video I've seen of him, he stood there and let some guy have a free shot on his chin. There aren't very many people in MMA that wouldn't have put him to sleep with a freebie and I mean 170 pounds on up.

Ah, who knows? Kimbo might tag him early and lights out. However, MMA ALWAYS has fantastic fights where a guy who looks like he's getting mauled hangs in there, finds an advantage and finishes his opponent, just like that.

thurley42

HY;FR

Ah, who knows? Kimbo might tag him early and lights out. However, MMA ALWAYS has fantastic fights where a guy who looks like he's getting mauled hangs in there, finds an advantage and finishes his opponent, just like that.

that's why I loved this season of TUF....Amir was always getting his head knocked in..but he hung in and would get the tap...