Uh oh, Europeans are mad at Ahnuld...

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
SamSpade said:
If they'd put Hitler down after Munich, they might have had better luck last century............

This annoys me - especially when the plea for clemency is somehow seen is "the governor killed him". They pulled the same crap on Bush during the 2000 campaign.

The governor doesn't kill anyone. He has no authority. He only has the right to step in and supercede the court to grant clemency. That's it. A court and a jury convicted him and sentenced him to death. THAT is how it works. Quite honestly, I hate the fact that the governor can step in and overturn a decision from the court.

Incidentally - anyone here know who was the *last* governor of California to intervene and stop an execution? You'll be surprised...........
Surely not Reagan???

Hessian

Roger...Roger,

Vector Victor...

anyhow: I heard that California has HUNDREDS on death row. Go ahead an add it up: If Gov Schwarzenegger wants too save $$. He needs to clean out those cells. Drop the appeals, the legal consultations, medical care, and expensive security systems:
Fry them in one week...and save millions.

Steve

Enjoying life!
Hessian said:
I heard that California has HUNDREDS on death row. Fry them in one week...and save millions.
I looked it up. California has executed 12 people since 1978, including Tookie. 48 death row prisoners have also died from suicide, murder, or natural causes. There remains 654 on death row in various prisons in California. I think they need to speed the process up a little, don't you?

ylexot

Super Genius
I think they should make the first sentencing (sp?) in cases where the death penalty is an option done by a panel of judges. If they say that the death penalty is warranted (based on lack of remorse, brutality of the crime, certainty of the case, etc.), the execution should be the following day. No appeals.