UMass Democrats Bar a 31-Year-Old Progressive Gay Candidate for Dating College Students

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Morse, who has taught as a lecturer at UMass-Amherst since 2014, rejected the College Democrats' accusations in a statement, writing: "I want to be very clear about this. I have never, in my entire life, had a non-consensual sexual encounter with anyone."

But many on the progressive left—especially campus social-justice activist types—cling to an odd definition of consent in which the concept is voided if any party to a sexual encounter later feels conflicted about it, or if the power and privilege differentials of the participants have not been fully worked out ahead of time. This strain of progressivism often follows a believe-all-victims mentality, which does not allow for serious scrutiny of dubious misconduct claims. In keeping with this tradition, many on Twitter called for Morse to be held accountable for wrongdoing.

Others on the left, including The Intercept's Glenn Greenwald, pushed back and accused Morse's detractors of trying to infantilize college students. "There are factions of the liberal-left as obsessed with regulating, controlling & moralizing over the private consensual sex lives of adults as the 1980s Moral Majority," wrote Greenwald.

It's hard to disagree with Greenwald here. While the lack of specificity makes it impossible to say for certain whether all of Morse's dealings with students were perfectly benign, the accusations seem to rest upon several faulty premises.

https://reason.com/2020/08/10/alex-morse-justice-democrats-students-umass/

Identitatian Left ...... Eating its own

DaSDGuy

I think all politicians who are members of the democratic party should be arrested and imprisoned without bail or parole.

Why you ask? They are consistently screwing me without my consent!! I am being violated!!

BernieP

Resident PIA
I think both sides have some fault
I think the student side is way overdone and some what hypocritical.
But after years of having it beat into my head, if you are in any position of authority, or perceived power, you don't have a relationship.
He was an instructor / lecturer at the college. Whether the students took his class or not, because of age and the position he held, he should not have dated students, consensual or not.
If I'm the VP of engineering and I start dating someone in accounting (that's not the VP), you can bet the company is not going to look fondly on it.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I think both sides have some fault
I think the student side is way overdone and some what hypocritical.
But after years of having it beat into my head, if you are in any position of authority, or perceived power, you don't have a relationship.
He was an instructor / lecturer at the college. Whether the students took his class or not, because of age and the position he held, he should not have dated students, consensual or not.
If I'm the VP of engineering and I start dating someone in accounting (that's not the VP), you can bet the company is not going to look fondly on it.
tl;dr
Don't get your ass or your cash in the same place.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Bill Clinton did
But that was just about sex, not lying under oath or anything.
:sarcasm:
He's probably the reason why we go through the sexual harassment, hostile work environment, and all the BS every year.
Footnote in the law says it doesn't apply to those who wrote the law or other polticians.