ummmm, errrrrr....are we allowed to talk about this??

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
.... White workplaces often exacts an emotional toll.

Black women, in particular, say a typical workday often requires looking past microaggressions from co-workers, ignoring flippant comments about their natural hairstyles or suppressing emotions lest they be labeled an "angry black woman."

.... away from the subtle racism that often pervades office life.
:rolleyes:

I figured the reasons would involve race relations ...

For decades, Black and Hispanic employees have reported feeling marginalized at work and being relegated to lower-paying roles even when their credentials qualify them for a higher-level position.

Well working from home will not change these alleged ' low paying jobs '

That allows her to avoid group settings where she felt her voice wouldn't be taken seriously by supervisors, said Fuller, who is African-American.

I wonder how she feels about her presence on Zoom Calls

Perhaps more important, it also avoids having to engage in what social scientists have termed racial "code-switching" — when people of color shift their speech, appearance, behavior and other characteristics at work to make non-Black colleagues feel more comfortable.

Harvard University researchers have found that Black employees often view code-switching as necessary for career advancement, but that the effort is psychologically draining.

By contrast, "I don't have to be fake all day long and I can just be myself," said Thomas, who is also African-American, about working from home. "I don't have to dress up a certain way, and I don't have to deal with someone not liking me."

:sshrug:

WTF are blacks doing that make their coworkers feel uncomfortable ?

Hijinx

The truth is they don't want to go back to work.
She can paint it with all of these whines that black use, but damned right it's more comfortable to stay home, and she doesn't have to pay for the ride in to work, but it's time to go back. It's time to stop all of this BS caused by Covid.

SamSpade

(shrug)

I've been "code-switching" for years, because I learned my lesson when you reveal your conservative opinions in a city teeming with hyper-liberals who will follow you around berating you for your ideas and positions on issues - and several ones they IMAGINE you must also hold. I've known for years, you keep your mouth SHUT.

You know - years ago, I used to tease a friend of mine at work for his stature - he's a little on the short side. One day he came up to me and said he knows I don't mean to hurt him - but the words do bother him. That was 25 years ago - I've not done it since. I do think if you're not in a HOSTILE environment, you can always talk to people about what bothers you.

Because unlike the hostile work environment I experience when politics is brought up, I do believe people DO want to be thoughtful when it comes to race.