Uncontested divorce - easy without attorney?

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
Buddy of ours has been separated from his wife 2 years, although they never filed for legal separation. She moved out of state, hasn't come back since, so it'll be easy to prove they've been living separate lives. They're ready to get divorced. There are no kids involved and they've had separate bank accounts for a while now. They have a house here in both their names, which she'll sign over to him. She doesn't want it so she'll happily stick him with the mortgage.

I remember a post on here about how easy (and cheap) it was to just go to the courthouse and file without involving attorneys. Question....if he's here in MD and she's 13 hours away, is there still a way to get this done easily? Maybe they each get a form notarized and he can take it to the court here? Is there someone in particular he can contact? Any advice would be appreciated. We've watched the poor guy go through hell and he just wants it over but neither of them wants to pay a lawyer if they don't need to.

mitzi

Buddy of ours has been separated from his wife 2 years, although they never filed for legal separation. She moved out of state, hasn't come back since, so it'll be easy to prove they've been living separate lives. They're ready to get divorced. There are no kids involved and they've had separate bank accounts for a while now. They have a house here in both their names, which she'll sign over to him. She doesn't want it so she'll happily stick him with the mortgage.

I remember a post on here about how easy (and cheap) it was to just go to the courthouse and file without involving attorneys. Question....if he's here in MD and she's 13 hours away, is there still a way to get this done easily? Maybe they each get a form notarized and he can take it to the court here? Is there someone in particular he can contact? Any advice would be appreciated. We've watched the poor guy go through hell and he just wants it over but neither of them wants to pay a lawyer if they don't need to.

It's cheap and easy. My ex got the papers from the Circuit Court. Filled them out and there were things I had to fill out and sign (that I wasn't contesting anything, did not want support, etc.). Then he received the official papers to "serve me" (instead of paying for someone to serve). He could not "serve" the papers to me. He came over with a friend and the friend "served" me the court papers. They sign that you were served and that's it. The ex turned the papers in and within 2 months the divorce was final. I never had to go to court and I live 5 minutes away. If your friend can arrange for her to served, it should be easy. A hearing date to finalize will be set and she doesn't have to be there if she is not contesting anything, it is very easy. The divorce is then final when both parties receive their notice from the court in the mail. He should go to the Circuit Court building and they will give him the papers and the information that he needs. Hope this helps.

mitzi

I forgot, you don't have to "prove" you've been separated. On the original papers that are filled out, you sign that you have been living apart for X amount of time (1 year or 2, I can't remember). No actual "proof" is needed.

InsanelyBusy

There's a reason she left if she's 13 hours away. :otter:

I bet they've both been thru h*ll, not just him.

Just an observation.

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
It's cheap and easy. My ex got the papers from the Circuit Court. Filled them out and there were things I had to fill out and sign (that I wasn't contesting anything, did not want support, etc.). Then he received the official papers to "serve me" (instead of paying for someone to serve). He could not "serve" the papers to me. He came over with a friend and the friend "served" me the court papers. They sign that you were served and that's it. The ex turned the papers in and within 2 months the divorce was final. I never had to go to court and I live 5 minutes away. If your friend can arrange for her to served, it should be easy. A hearing date to finalize will be set and she doesn't have to be there if she is not contesting anything, it is very easy. The divorce is then final when both parties receive their notice from the court in the mail. He should go to the Circuit Court building and they will give him the papers and the information that he needs. Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for all the info. I also received a few PMs from other forumites and I'm about to forward all the info to him so they can get the ball rolling.

There's a reason she left if she's 13 hours away. :otter:

I bet they've both been thru h*ll, not just him.

Just an observation.

She doesn't want to move back here and he doesn't want to move there. Oh well, what's meant to be will be. If it's what they both want, and they will both be happier divorced, then so be it.